What Do You Use To Demagnitize Your Tools

kvt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not sure where to put this

Ok, I want to see what people use to demagnetize their tools and stuff. And has anyone made their own demagnetizers.
I currently do not have anything to demagnetize all of my stuff and some items are starting to get bad. I could use them to pick up the swarf with no problems. So before I go and find something I want to see what people think. I remember over 30 years ago when I worked in a shop before going in the AF, they had an old electric thing, but do not remember much about it.
Ideas would help.

Among my pending projects ...
I have the field winding from an old motor that I plan to use for a magnetizer/demagnetizer. I'll connect it to a momentary switch. To demag, start with the tool inside, hold the switch down and slowly withdraw the item until it's at least a foot away, then release the switch. To magnetize, just push the button briefly. I'm not sure the winding would like being connected to 110 for long periods of time, but the the few seconds needed for demagnetizing shouldn't be a problem.

You can use a soldering gun just make a coil of copper wire

worked at a shop that did magnetic particle inspection... mag or demag was just a 100ft walk away

I recently got this nice vintage L-W demagnetizer from H-M member benmychree. It goes perfectly with the 1946-47 B & S 2L surface grinder I also bought from him. Made me a great deal! With nice old units like this one out there, I can see no reason to make your own...

SAM_1570.JPG

How do you use the tape head demagnetize to demag a tool?
Do you just need to wave it near / around the tool?

With the winding technique, are there electrocution risks, or are motor windings electrically safe?

Daryl
MN

and I have one just like Bob's

How do you use the tape head demagnetize to demag a tool?
Do you just need to wave it near / around the tool?

With the winding technique, are there electrocution risks, or are motor windings electrically safe?

Daryl
MN

You just bring the tool near the surface of the demagnetizer and slowly pull away.

Back