What Do You Use To Demagnitize Your Tools

I really don't have much of a problem with it but have found for something like a screw drive I can lay it in a piece of steel & a quick rap with a small hammer will demagnetize it. To magnetize it I just drag it across a strong magnet but it doesn't last for long.

I have though about the plate ones, But did not know how good they were, Have looked at the small ones like Ulma Doctor showed, but not sure how big the holes are, as some of the tools tha I have that get magnetized are larger. Have a motor but do not want to lose it as a project motor, So I started looking on line and ebay to see what is showing up.

Good point. Motor windings are varnished wire, so the field assembly is pretty well touch safe. But there's always the possibility of nicking the insulation with whatever you're trying to mag/demag and getting shocked or causing a short. So I plan to thoroughly wrap the iron and coils with electrical tape before I try to use it. The field assembly I plan to use has an ID of about 2", so a small roll of electrical tape can be passed through. The unit will be good for small items like screwdrivers, pliers, etc., but not for large items.
If that's a concern then could you not just slip a piece of PVC inside the windings?

Bought an Enco unit, they had two models. I purchased the less expensive one.
Really nice unit. Solid, heavy. Works great. I use it on drills, end mills, chucks, etc...
Any tool that gets magnetized. I bought originally for my Mitutoyo digital calipers, which were acting
a little wonky. I demaged it, and now it's dead on. (for calipers :) and it repeats on gage blocks and pins.
I got it on sale with free ship, so it was worth the money.

Among my pending projects ...
I have the field winding from an old motor that I plan to use for a magnetizer/demagnetizer. ......snip.......
I remember quite well the time I was about 10-12 years old, dad had put together a air compressor without the tank, we used to fill our bicycle tires with. Somehow of another I accidently jabbed a Allen wrench into one of the openings on the old washing machine motor and got the **** knocked out of me! Not safe in my opinion!

Being hobby machinists, we should be able to make adequate isolation for the live parts of the windings. PVC/Plexiglass for the ends and a cylinder inside. Connection to Earth ground of any metal one might contact is absolutely essential!

OK, guys ... y'all have inspired me to get to work turning my motor stator into a functional, safe mag/demag. I started by turning down a piece of 1 ¼" PVC pipe to fit inside the stator. Cut down a peanut butter jar for the outside. Made a plexiglass circle (on the bandsaw) to fit the open end of the jar. Cut holes in both with a 1 ½" hole saw. Then turned down the ends of the pipe to fit the holes. Finally, I mounted the assembly on a small project enclosure with a piece of aluminum from the scrap box. Mounted a microswitch inside the box. It still needs to be wired, and the plastic parts glued together. But that'll be tomorrow's project.
kHPIM4633.jpg kHPIM4635.jpg kHPIM4636.jpg

This is great!!
Shop made, functional and safe.

Daryl
MN

That is really interesting. I'm sure it will be the start of a few conversations. You should tell them it is a rail cannon & can launch a steel ball all the way throw a car. Lol

Then while there jaw is hanging you can explain the true function.

Thanks, guys. Needless to say, I took perverse pleasure in using a peanut butter jar for the enclosure. And if I'm fast enough on the switch, I might well be able to get a large bearing ball to go a couple feet if I start it at one end of the pipe. Tell them it's just a prototype/proof-of-concept. Maybe put a few danger or caution stickers on it!

Back