What Do You Use To Demagnitize Your Tools

With the winding technique, are there electrocution risks, or are motor windings electrically safe?
Good point. Motor windings are varnished wire, so the field assembly is pretty well touch safe. But there's always the possibility of nicking the insulation with whatever you're trying to mag/demag and getting shocked or causing a short. So I plan to thoroughly wrap the iron and coils with electrical tape before I try to use it. The field assembly I plan to use has an ID of about 2", so a small roll of electrical tape can be passed through. The unit will be good for small items like screwdrivers, pliers, etc., but not for large items.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=949785&PMAKA=285-2505

Bought it at a deep discount and with free shipping...I think ~$35.
Came in a flimsy cardboard box, inside the bottom corner of a crumpled cardboard box. :( Switch was broken and jammed into the case. :(
Had a replacement switch in my junk box. :) Told ENCO about, but didn't ask for a replacement, as I needed a working one at hat moment.
So...it works great.
Ken

I bought one advertised for sewing notions, pins, etc. Around 5 bucks, The largest I've t tried is a 5/16 Allen wrench, haven't found anything it won't. demag.

Two great things from the past...Look for estate sales....

Bulk tape eraser which size of brick.

Common and still made maybe.

Not common is for tv repair was the degause coil which about size of Frisbee and used to demag a picture tube and makes need art on screen when using.

To demag turn device on when part is inside field and slowly walk it away from mag field.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Just go to ebay and search "Demagnetizer" if you need one. You will find many there Average price around $40.00. Mine is the same as Bob and Jim. I brought it home when the GM plant shut down. They were going to dump it.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought a compact magnetizer/demagnetizer off of my uncle's Matco Tool truck some 25 years ago.
i still use it to magnetize/demag screwdriver tips
very similar to this:
upload_2016-11-5_15-30-51.jpeg

I used to use a de-gaussing coil from when I repaired TV and computer monitors. Pretty inexpensive new, even cheaper used from e-bay. I no longer have mine but may eventually need to get another.

Back