What do you guys use to get oil in Chinese machinery ball oilers?

Thanks for the help kd. Will try to take a photo of the bottle I use. It was originally a saline nasal spray bottle.

There may also be some potential to make an oiler from a bottle of eyeglasses cleaner. It all depends on the shape of the nozzle.

oiler 003.JPG

It holds around 1.5 fl. oz.

oiler 004.JPG

Nozzle on eyeglasses cleaning fluid bottle.

oiler 003.JPG oiler 004.JPG

My oiler was made in Italy. It is a Brevettato. It belonged to my father now me. It is over 40 years old and has never failed. I made the tip to fit the Ball oilers on my Jet 9X20.

"Billy G"

102_0743 (850 x 565).jpg 102_0744 (800 x 531).jpg

Thank you Jim. If you look close at the very tip you will see a radius. That radius stops the tip from bottoming out the ball.

"Billy G"

He's a close up of how my high pressure oilers fit my ball oilers. The old Eagle 66 oilers fit my ball oilers perfect also.

Img_0129.jpg

I use similar bottles but with Luer Lock tips so I can use different size needles according to the fluid viscosity. But I don't use them to try oil the ball oilers. I use them for different cutting fluids (as well as for flux, solvents, etc.), I have a bunch of them in 3 sizes. I do brush on oil but usually only when I'm machining longer stock on the lathe or flats on the mill. Otherwise I mostly use these to apply my cutting oils, gives me pinpoint accuracy & less waste from unnecessary over application from a brush.

I made a holder that's mounted to my carriage where my flood coolant nozzle goes & I also made an extra one with a mag base to prevent knocking over the bottles with the very fine tips.

Img_0120.jpg

Img_0123-1.jpg

Img_0116.jpg

Img_0129.jpg

Img_0120.jpg

Img_0123-1.jpg

Img_0116.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...really sick of my leaky Golden Rod oiler... applied clear silicone in all the areas I suspect leakage from

So I gave it a few pumps last night, been sitting there overnight & all day today....no more leaking! Not a drop down the side of the can or on the handle. I'm happy cause I really liked using this one for my mill.

:joy:

Img_0132.jpg

Img_0132.jpg

Jim, good question! Thanks to everyone who is contributing. It is very interesting to see the different approaches to finding an ideal solution to an old problem.

Back