What do you guys use to get oil in Chinese machinery ball oilers?

Jim Dobson

Active User
Registered
I have tried numerous types of oilers and I can never be sure that I am actually getting oil in past the ball bearing. I have tried even a large syringe, but that didn't work.

I've bought 4 different oilers now off fleabay and they have all broken around the trigger mechanism or where the metal (or plastic) nozzle comes out of the body.

What do you successfully use to get oil past the ball in these ball oilers?

I use a small finishing nail to push and hold the ball down. Then I take my oiler and dribble a few drops in the opening.

The oilers I use are what they call high pressure oilers. They really do pump with much more pressure than the others, I could probably shoot a stream of oil clear across my driveway. Sucks that they really don't make too many high quality oilers anymore. Every oiler I've use that has a metal can leaks like crazy.

Ironically the high pressure oilers are the most inexpensive ones I have ever purchased. And believe it or not I got them from HF for $2ea. They're all plastic, they shoot oil into my ball oilers great, they're clear so you can see how much oil is in them, & best of all they don't leak. I was surprised cause I thought they would be junk being plastic & so cheap. Unfortunately HF doesn't carry them anymore but there's other places that sell similar ones. Luckily I bought extras before theystopped selling them.

I've had the metal versions of these & every single one leaked on me. These plastic ones are larger so they hold more oil. But they only work with the ball oilers on my lathe. The ball oiler on my mill is much larger. No problem, I can just make a tip for it but on the mill I always just squirt oil directly on the ways.

Hearing good things about Goldenrod oil cans, I bought a bigger size than I normally have with a flexible spout. Now this one doesn't fit my any of my ball oilers but I bought it specifically for the mill. Made in USA & cost much more than all my other oilers so I figure it should be worth the money. Well I must have got a defect or something cause the damn thing leaks like crazy too. Leaks at both ends of the spout where they glued the ends with whatever white stuff they use & it leaks oil fron the top pump lever which drips down the side of the can. I have to keep a rag under it at all times. I'm pretty ****** about it. Hopefully I can fix it but I shouldn't have to to begin with.

20141012_001713.jpg

20141012_001713.jpg

I saw that when you posted it but unfortunately the ball oilers we are talking about are much larger than the one you have pictured in that thread. The tip you used is too fine, it would not seal in the oiler & it would also push the ball too far in which can cause the ball to get stuck.

My Bison chuck does have that size oiler. All my air tools use those smaller fittings but they obviously use grease. In my pic above, to the right are mini grease guns which work for those smaller fittings & have the similar size tip ghat you are using. But those grease guns only work with grease.

I have a Craftsman oiler I bought about 1963. It leaks anyway! I think oil comes out of the top of the pump cylinder. It is a pump oiler. Must wipe my hand off when it is used. It has a little pip on the nozzle that looks like a keystone(trapezoid) when viewed from the side,with the small end at the tip. I just push the ball down with the keystone,and wedge the keystone under the edge of the oiler's hole,and squeeze the trigger.

As long as you hold the tip of any oiler a bit off center in the hole,so the ball does not plug up the hole in the oil can,I don't see why you could not pump or squirt oil into the oiler hole with the ball pushed down. We used a standard oil can at work,and I never gave it any thought. Just shoved the ball down sideways and squirted oil in.

If I bought another standard oil can,with a seam around the bottom,I think I'd heat it up with solder inside it,and run the solder around inside the can. Of,maybe around the outside of the can underneath it or on the bottom of the side to seal off the seam wherever it is folded up. Scrape off the paint first,of course. Repaint if it bothers you.

There is a small trick that I learned in using the import ball oilers. The spring on them is very weaK. You push the point of your oil source in just enough to move the ball. Do not bottom it out. Squeeze the trigger on the can and it pushes the ball away from the point. Oil then flows freely into the hole.

"Billy G"

Would this work,I don't know if there is a difference between china/american ball but maybe this will work http://www.icai-online.com/push-n-lube-oiler.html I think they are called push and lube oiler.Google it and see if something will work for you---kroll

That one is for "Zerk" fittings, it will not work on ball oilers. That is why it is called a "Push-N-Lube" it fits over the fitting.

"Billy G:

Ironically the high pressure oilers are the most inexpensive ones I have ever purchased. And believe it or not I got them from HF for $2ea. They're all plastic, they shoot oil into my ball oilers great, they're clear so you can see how much oil is in them, & best of all they don't leak. I was surprised cause I thought they would be junk being plastic & so cheap. Unfortunately HF doesn't carry them anymore but there's other places that sell similar ones. Luckily I bought extras before they stopped selling them.

HF has stopped selling them but they are available elsewhere ...

http://www.amazon.com/250ML-Transparent-Pressure-Lubrication-Plastic/dp/B00L7ICKU2 ...

But too much money.

http://www.amazon.com/250ML-Transparent-Pressure-Lubrication-Plastic/dp/B00LSU0DG2 ...

A little better on the pocket book.

http://www.dx.com/p/exploit-120701-...-transparent-yellow-350ml-297064#.VDp6FxawR9s ...

http://www.dx.com/p/exploit-120701-...-transparent-yellow-350ml-297064#.VDp6NxawR9s ...

I have purchased other things from DX and it has worked out well so I would not hesitate to order thru them again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Qualit...173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e806246c5 ...

Even eBay ...

Google "Plastic Pump Oiler" and pick a vendor.

Back