Well that didn't go well.

I can see a frame that narrow having enough flex to allow the force of cutting to waver the path.

I would consider a tiny round over all around. This will also help prevent future chipping on the long grain edges. It might not conceal the blooper entirely, but it sure will minimize it.
DanK

As we get older, it's much harder to see where my bit and the wood are.
Without a lot of light, AND safety glasses that double as reading glasses, I'm totally SOL for woodwork, welding, machining, etc. Long gone are the days of using ultra tiny font on the computer monitor.

I might be misunderstanding the terms, but “rustic” to me would mean old and weathered looking. I’d just hit hot all the edges with a light file or sandpaper and rough up all the straight edges a bit.

But, it looks good enough for my house. Much better than anything I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be misunderstanding the terms, but “rustic” to me would mean old and weathered looking. I’d just hit hot all the edges with a light file or sandpaper and rough up all the straight edges a bit.

But, it looks good enough for my house. Much better than anything I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not in her mind. I know... she was all over the place with examples. I showed her rustic, and that's not the rustic she wants.
I do more contemporary and fine furniture... I am not very good at rustic. Especially her version.

This was un-steamed Walnut (way nicer coloring than steamed ie lumber yard bought), I am out of wood, ...

To make it look like no-mistake-here, I'd be tempted to scribe and hand-chisel to get the rough edges smoothed,
then fill with something black. An alternative would be to expand the socket and divide the two slate inserts to
push 'em snug against the edges (but making a line in middle...

I’m sensing a little annoyance with the DIL. Lol
I think you should go at all those edges with a chisel and hammer. Rough up all those straight edges with as many abstract chunks of missing wood as you can fit. Drag a hoof rasp across all that pristine and smooth lumber. Put a light coat of satin varnish on it, then sand it half off. Rustic. Done.

I’m sensing a little annoyance with the DIL. Lol
I think you should go at all those edges with a chisel and hammer. Rough up all those straight edges with as many abstract chunks of missing wood as you can fit. Drag a hoof rasp across all that pristine and smooth lumber. Put a light coat of satin varnish on it, then sand it half off. Rustic. Done.
No I'm not. if you saw what she gave me for ideas, they were all over the place... none were rustic in my mind.
She also came by over the summer and was upset that there was finish on the panels on the side. Before putting a panel in a frame, you need to finish it to prevent an unfinished area from showing when it shrinks in the winter. Anyway, she said she wanted raw wood. I told her a sideboard was not going to have food being served on it and not be finished. I said even though it's Walnut it will look like crap in a short period of time without a finish. She originally wanted me to do it in tiger maple, but I told her there was no way I was using my tiger maple for rustic... Tiger Maple is for fine furniture, or can be Early American (non pine type). I think I have about 100bf... when I showed her samples of different woods she wanted the Walnut.

My problem with my DIL is this project, about a month after she hinted at what she wanted she asked where it was and has continued asking. Then I got Plantar Fasciitis on one foot when that healed , the other foot... that was over a year of not being able to work much , I couldn't stand for long.. I did better at walking , but not standing. it all hurt. I also had Lymes and was unable to focus in one eye, that was more than 6months. So in the 2 years since she decided, I owe this to them. So that's on me..

You gotta pick your battles, some you can’t win.
Just walk away.
I’m on your side, she’ll get over it.

Rustic or not you have a piece that you are not proud to give to your customer. It does not seem like there is any way to fix the piece without being something that looks like a band aid fix. It will break your heart to make the piece from the Tiger Maple but it is what your customer wanted in the first place and the black tiles against the white maple would be a very good contrast. You said you have 100 board feet of the Tiger Maple. Start over, learn from your mistakes, and have piece you will be proud to give to your customer.

Just my 2 cents
Roger L

Back