Well that didn't go well.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I made a new sled so I can just go in rows and not have a mess.
That worked well. I am loving my stops.
But this didn't go well. I tape around the perimeter to prevent tear out. It helps a lot, but it also hid something that I didn't see until the end.
Now I have to either take a little more off to hide it, or fix it some other way.
PXL_20240119_015018590.jpgPXL_20240123_174426532.jpgPXL_20240123_191639980.jpgPXL_20240123_191651530.jpg

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
PXL_20240123_203249727.jpgPXL_20240123_203301896.jpgPXL_20240123_203323416.jpg

Oh man that’s terrible!!!

I totally know exactly what you’re bummed about, but if a guy didn’t, what would you call that horrendous catastrophe?

Ok fine, Idk what I’m looking at. What’s the problem? Lol

Bummer. Any idea where the issue came from? Something in the sled loose, or guides or ...?

Something has to have shifted yes? I’d have thought you were constrained from that.

What if you cut the opening a little larger and put in an insert frame with a different type of wood like maple or cherry to create a border? What is the project? The inserts look to be cushions? Is it a bench?

Roger L

Bummer. Any idea where the issue came from? Something in the sled loose, or guides or ...?
there were many pieces of double stick tape holding the frame down. That's why the weights. So it didn't come up. Initially I put the weights on it when I set it up to set the dbl sided tape for the night. I didn't route it until the next day. The painters tape prevents big tearout and also provides a nice release of the dbl sided tape.

I just got home from volleyball. I'll read through these. I see what Neil said above. They want rustic. I don't want to add ebony for fear of dressing it up. I really don't do rustic. It's out of my comfort zone.. But I am doing what I can to not dress it up. When she saw the finish on the panels she said no finish, I want raw wood. I told her, that was not going to happen, that finish needed to be applied for a sideboard, there is no way you can do this with raw wood and not have it look like crap real fast.

I have to believe this is tearout, not a slip in the frame. I probably neglected to look at the wood at the edges carefully before I set it up. There might have been some indicator. Or I F'd up without even knowing it. Usually you can tell you can feel it. I didn't so I don't have a clue right now.

What if you cut the opening a little larger and put in an insert frame with a different type of wood like maple or cherry to create a border? What is the project? The inserts look to be cushions? Is it a bench?

Roger L
The inserts are ceramic or porcelain tiles. I have seen so many sideboards ruined by food spillage and heat, that when they asked me to do this, and then told me rustic, I thought these would look good, and resolve any issues of needing trivets or spill control. I had planned to liquid nail the tiles in, and possibly use silicone (black or brown) as a grout, to allow wood movement between the tiles and the wood. Right now we are at low humidity so the gap will get bigger on the sides, not really on the ends with the tearout.

I will probably first try to get by with a slight expansion of both edges... if it fails, I can try something else. Since this is real wood, and not stable , putting a border is difficult across the grain. it will have gaps in the summer since it doesn't expand the same as the top along that edge. For that length the gap can be 1/32 to 1/16.. Noticeable.

Back