Walker Turner -- Keep or Dispose?

Yes send the whole thing to me, I run a home for wayward Walker Turners :)

Seriously that's a nice drill press. I suspect the centrifugal switch is not kicking out when the motor gets up to speed. I think the motor is probably salvageable but even if it isn't getting another motor is not really a big deal. Any 56 frame base mount 1725RPM should work just fine. Be very careful removing the pulley from the old motor. You may need a longer of shorter belt and possibly an adapter plate if base mounting holes don't match (it could even be plywood).

A quick search found this single phase 1/2hp: https://www.surpluscenter.com/New-Arrivals/1-2-HP-1725-RPM-115-208-230-VAC-Century-Motor-10-3303.axd

A 3 phase motor with a VFD would be a slick solution but that gets a bit more expensive.

Hi John,

Welcome to this forum.

It is, in my book, definitely a keeper as you have a very solid drill press.

While my knowledge of electrical motors is limited to some basic troubleshooting it would be useful to know if your motor is tripping the breaker with no load on it (belt disconnected) or only with a load (belt connected)?

With that extra piece of information I would take it back to the repair shop and explain what is happening. Maybe they only bench tested it and your problem is running under load.

Do you have another piece of equipment with the same voltage and HP as your drill press one to verify that it is not your wiring circuit that is the culprit?

Also replacing the motor is pretty straight forward once you get over the intimidation phase of it.

There is another forum call Old wood Working Machines (http://www.owwm.org/index.php) with a focus on old American arn as they like to call it and machines such as yours. Their forum is a little more rule oriented than this one so be sure to read over the OWWM Forum Rules prior to posting.

OWWM has a electrical sub-forum which would be a great resource for a drill press motor question such as yours. They may be able to help you understand what is causing the short as that is what it sounds like your problem is.

The below “900” series drill press publication is from The Vintage Machinery web site (http://vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx) and another great resource for old American arn.

It looks like your drill press originally came with a 1/3 HP 1740 RPM motor which should be easy to find a new or used replacement for. All electrical motors have a frame size associated with them which will be located somewhere on your motors label which will also list the HP and RPM.

Hope the above is of some help.

Harry

PS - Just thought of something else. You might want to check your electrical cord to verify that it is not causing the short. Maybe it is very old and brittle with a possibility of a bare wire only touching when in a certain position.

Last edited:
You should definitely get rid of it. You could drop it at my house and I will help you properly dispose of it. I know it is a long drive to Wisconsin for you but it would be worth it..... for me. :cool:

Matt was being sarcastic when he said "what kind of question is that?". Yankin' yer chain.

In all seriousness, DO NOT get rid of it, or at the very least, let one of the guys on the West coast come and take it off your hands if you don't want to work with the motor issue. My advice would be to dive into it and figure it out. You have a gem of a drill press sitting there.

Matt was being sarcastic when he said "what kind of question is that?". Yankin' yer chain.

In all seriousness, DO NOT get rid of it, or at the very least, let one of the guys on the West coast come and take it off your hands if you don't want to work with the motor issue. My advice would be to dive into it and figure it out. You have a gem of a drill press sitting there.

absolutely and totally, on all counts. Didn't mean to be rude, was just nonplussed at never having heard that question be asked on here before :)

If you're not in a rush, Grainger has an end-of-year clearance starting I think next month, and there are always some good deals to be had on motors. Picked up a 2 HP last year for a hundred bucks, and year before that a 3/4 for forty bucks. No shipping charge because you can just drive to a Grainger and pick it up.

First, Welcome to the group!

my issue is do I replace the motor (Granger, etc) , part the DP out, or sell it out right and buy another drill press.

Replacing the motor is likely a few hours (research new motor and getting your hands dirty) and a few hundred dollars.

Parting out would be a shame in my book.....it is so close to 100% functional.
A lot of work (dismantling, photos, posting, not getting ripped off), but I can't say how much income you'd get from it.

You would be hard pressed to find a new drill press as capable and built as well for under $1000.
Fixing up a used one may be more work than repairing this one.

Sorry if I'm just echoing other peoples comments.
I really appreciate those solid old machines, and think you've got a great one.

-brino

Last edited:
That wasn't meant as a criticism at all - people on here generally have a problem with not buying machines rather than with getting rid of them :)

I have an original 1/3hp Walker Turner motor of a WT900 just like yours that I might be persuaded to part with. Always kept it in case I was going to put it back to "original" but I don't think that's ever going to happen, I like my treadmill motor conversion too much. Comes with the original switch and power cord too, if that helps. Let me know.
My apology for "assuming"!
Wow, you have one to barter, sell, etc? Wonderful! The current motor is a ½ hp, but being primarilly woodworking, ⅓ should be plenty. Please let me know your terms for it. I've got a few hand planes, etc. the mod may want this to go to a PM...

I've tried several dedicated circuts. after a $75 visit to a motor repair shop, it does the same thing.

Hi John,

Welcome to the site and I feel your pain, I have had to go through the same thing.

Can you please expand on paying the $75 at the repair shop and still doing the same thing? Did they get the motor to work at the shop? Or did the tech find something and explained to you there was an issue with the motor? Or did the motor do the same thing again after taking it to the shop then when you reconnected it to the drill press it did the same thing and cause the breaker to blow?

Sorry for the specific question but if that is the case, it possibly could be an easy fix in the wiring path anywhere from the electrical plug going into the wall outlet, all the way to where the power cord going into the terminals inside the motor. There's several things that can easily cause the beaker to fault but can also easily be rectified.

The key info needed is what the tech said at the repair motor shop said, who I presumed looked at and bench tested the motor?

With you based in the Olympia peninsula, I could see finding another motor worthy of that very nice drill press (keep it) being harder to find than in dwtn Seattle. Having said that, 120v 1725rpm motors are one of the most common motors out there and usually easy to acquire and not expensive, unfortunately shipping motors now a days can be expensive. But I think you many have a chance at being able to use/save that motor on that DP.

Last edited:
John, there is an old-fashioned electric motor shop over here in Bremerton called Red's Electric Motors. They have a great reputation. If you ever cross the bridge to the peninsula, you should stop by and have them take a look at it. It may not cost as much to rebuild as you think, and it would certainly cost less than a new motor. The oldies are goodies.

Back