Walker Turner -- Keep or Dispose?

johnbgood

Registered
Registered
Hello to all you Wood/Metal/Plastic/etc workers!
New guy here needing advise on my Walker Turner DP 900 floor drill press. (1) I'm downsizing to a smaller shop. (2) Mostly into woodworking now. (3) the motor on the press starts, runs 3-5 seconds, and trips a breaker. I've tried several dedicated circuts. after a $75 visit to a motor repair shop, it does the same thing.
So my delima is: sell or part out the DP900 or get a new motor (what kind?). Lots to consider, I know, but its a lovely machine...even has the foot feed!
Thanks for any help and advice...

Attachments

• 73847F57-AAF7-4ACD-94C2-2BE6525B3E11.jpeg
    73847F57-AAF7-4ACD-94C2-2BE6525B3E11.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
I appreciate your response. I was hopeing to hear that. A friend of mine recommended this forum because of the helpful folks and straight advise. Now I just gotta find a motor!

I'd say, keep it. I'd take the motor back to the shop that "fixed it". and request really fixing it, or my money back.
I did call him this afternoon, and he gave me the "old motor, no guarentee" thing....(I didn't ask for a warranty so its my fault). I suspect his competance now.

Thats a keeper. I havent seen to many with the foot pedal.
I had a chance to get one that was all apart for $200 but was a day late.

what kind of question is that? Keep it of course! Personally I'd put that motor on a shelf and replace it with a 3ph motor and VFD or (as I did) a DC treadmill motor and controller. Makes it so much more versatile and easy to use, especially as you don't have the intermediate pulley.

It's the kind of question that a woodworker, not a machinist , would ask. I inherited this this many years ago, and just used it and tried to maintain it. Sorry if you took it as a stupid or dumb question. I really don't know what to do.. nobody around here is competant enough to repair the motor.. and my issue is do I replace the motor (Granger, etc) , part the DP out, or sell it out right and buy another drill press.

So I take it there is no off the shelf commercially available for it? Finding a treadmill motor around here (pop. 4500) is needle in the haystack.

Back