Walker Turner -- Keep or Dispose?

So I take it there is no off the shelf commercially available for it? Finding a treadmill motor around here (pop. 4500) is needle in the haystack.
Should be. Can you get a couple of picts of the backside where it mounts to the arm? Maybe even the tag.
The motor experts here will be able to identify it in a heartbeat.
They will also be chiming in as to what the culprit might be.

About the motor...

What did the shop say and do?

These are simple things.

Start winding with cap or switch a 2nd run winding.

If not shorted it is usually clean crud and contacts or replace cap.

Pull the motor and post some photos of name plate to start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If you simply want to replace the motor with something new, you need to determine what modern frame will fit your machine.
On your motor, there should be a data plate with a frame #, hp rating, etc. Older WT motors have frame numbers which
may not correspond to modern, standardized frame designations. I have one that came off a lathe labeled 118D, whatever that is. Fortunately,
it was close enough to a modern 56 frame motor I was able to use one. It's very possible that a 56 frame will fit your machine.

Here's the information you need:

You need to match shaft diameter and length and mounting bolt configuration. HP is up to you. Since it sounds like you mostly do woodworking,
speed control, while nice, probably isn't necessary. Those older WT machines are excellent: it would be a shame to replace it. The modern
Chinese drill presses aren't build to the same standard.

That wasn't meant as a criticism at all - people on here generally have a problem with not buying machines rather than with getting rid of them :)

I have an original 1/3hp Walker Turner motor of a WT900 just like yours that I might be persuaded to part with. Always kept it in case I was going to put it back to "original" but I don't think that's ever going to happen, I like my treadmill motor conversion too much. Comes with the original switch and power cord too, if that helps. Let me know.

I'm awaiting my spindle to be returned from the folks reconditioning it. My Walker Turner Drill press has a craftsman brand motor on it that really didn't correctly fit the bolt pattern in a way that stopped the belt from being aligned. I was able to modify the motor mount to work fine.

your drill press is beautiful. You cant replace it with similar quality new press without spending thousands of dollars.

Another voice chiming in to keep it!
A motor is a simple fix, replacing that machine is not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to advise to scrap the whole thing and bring it on over to my place and I'll offer $.10 a lb . ( I see someone already made you the offer ) :(

All kidding aside , that's a great looking WT , keep it ! :encourage:

Back