Upgrade - Shop Air - Quality 60-80gal compressors?

I go through about 4-5 # of desiccant a month, I just replace it. I tried to to recondition it, but the time, cost, effort, the smell in the oven, its just easier and cheaper to replace it

I go through about 4-5 # of desiccant a month, I just replace it. I tried to to recondition it, but the time, cost, effort, the smell in the oven, its just easier and cheaper to replace it

That doesnt make any sense to me yet. Does the desiccant keep water out of the tank or keep it out of the air line post-tank?

When I did my welder restoration I ended up with at least 1/2 gallon of water in the tank. I find it hard to imagine desiccant can absorb that quantity of water.

The desiccant filter is downstream of the air compressor, I use it to keep the air dry to the plasma cutters., the automatic drain keeps the water out of the tank, the desiccant filter is just an additional filter assembly in between the air compressor and the plasma cutters, used to keep the air as dry as possible.

I went browsing some manufacturers lines and came across this rotary compressor:

The lower noise is pretty compelling, but at over 3 times more expensive I am not sure it can be justified. They want $5130. The FS Curtis linked to before is $1600 (2 stage, 60gal, 15.9cfm @ 175psi).

For the frequency I'll use it at this point I am thinking the FS Curtis is still the route to go. We'll see. I'm hoping by the end of the winter I can get something.

Fly.... I think you should fabricate a rotary vane compressor. I mean, we are machinists here!

Ok, the gauntlet has been thrown.... ;)

Fly.... I think you should fabricate a rotary vane compressor. I mean, we are machinists here!

Ok, the gauntlet has been thrown.... ;)

As much as I do like making things, at this point I don't have the necessary machines to make the parts - lathe and mill, namely.

At some point in my future I will have a mill and a lathe. I would probably end up with a lathe first. That is way down the road, though.

It appears FS Curtis is owned by Fusheng Industrial = Taiwanese company. I'm not sure that is a bad thing, if I recall correctly of the import machines (lathes/mills namely) Taiwan manufacture is considered higher end of the imports. Though, it appears FS Curtis is still a US brand. I have reached out to the Brand and a distributor trying to get some more details on what is US and what isn't.

If you are looking at that model, I would recommend getting the 80 gallon tank and a mag starter that they have at $1,779. A 5 Hp is going to be pretty rough on the pressure switch otherwise, and the increased tank size will give less cycling. Any of these compressor's should work fine for many years. The FCT05C55V6X-A2L1XX has a 3600 RPM motor which is going to mean more noise, the FCT05C55V8S-A2L1XX has an 1800 RPM and flows more air for not much more.

Also may be worth looking at:

If you are looking at that model, I would recommend getting the 80 gallon tank and a mag starter that they have at $1,779. A 5 Hp is going to be pretty rough on the pressure switch otherwise, and the increased tank size will give less cycling. Any of these compressor's should work fine for many years. The FCT05C55V6X-A2L1XX has a 3600 RPM motor which is going to mean more noise, the FCT05C55V8S-A2L1XX has an 1800 RPM and flows more air for not much more.

Also may be worth looking at:

Excellent post and information. I like details and technical information - that is exactly why I started this thread. Unless things are explained or I happen to come to the realization of something in my own studies then I don't know. Like your details on the pressure switch and the RPM. I could figure up the RPM, but unless I really spun my wheels thinking through things I am not sure I would hit on the switch. You are right though - the starting load on compressor motors, in particular, has a large draw on any electrical system. And the pressure switch is, ultimately, the switching device for the power to the motor.

I was starting to dig in to the mag starter and intercooler options (whether stock in a particular model or optional on a particular model).

As to the RPM - the compressor input RPM seems to be easiest to come across, as opposed to the motor RPM. It seems the higher the CFM for comparable size "compressors" (not tanks) correlates to a higher RPM compressor. So I assume they are changing the gear ratio for the compressor drive. That, also, makes me wonder if the ratio can be changed after-the-fact to get more CFM?

Good stuff.

^^^ Yeah, Mark is the king of research and pointing out tidbits that us mere mortals miss. I honestly don't know when the guy sleeps, between helping the folks out here on HM, eating and working, I am amazed. He is a very valuable resource here. Now I learned something about compressors that I didn't know that I needed to know. :) ^^^

Back