Upgrade - Shop Air - Quality 60-80gal compressors?

FlyFishn

Registered
Registered
I have an old 20gal/110v compressor that I am a bit scared to use now - the tank is rusted (stuck a borescope thru a port on the tank). I know where the compressor came from it wasn't overly well taken care of, either, but after researching compressors and seeing the aftermath of compressor tanks going "poof" - I think it wise to retire the one I have.

That brings me to the thread.

What I want is an upright/vertical 60-80gal, 240v single phase compressor that won't take up much floor square footage (as opposed to a horizontal) that is going to last, but isn't overly expensive. I don't know if that exists... but I don't want to go to harbor freight or northern tool and just "get a compressor". Though, northern tool does have some nice stuff (Quincy, IR, at least I'd think they are "better" than not - maybe depending on the series). I don't think I could ever justify a screw compressor so a conventional compressor, though loud, is what I'd be in to.

As far as uses - the highest volume task I do is pull vacuum with an Air Lift on cooling systems (my truck is a 6.7l diesel - somewhere around 6-9gal coolant cap, I think). That is asking too much of the 20gal I have, but I've done it. Other than that - conventional air tool use is what I need it for 97% of the time (impacts, air ratchet) with some painting in there in the other 3% along with the vacuum and occasional rotary tool use (die grinders, sanders, cut off wheels).

Thoughts from those that may have more varying compressor experience? What to stay away from or what to look harder at?

I'd look harder at the used market, but what scares me is the maintenance - or lack-there-of. That was what I got when I got my current compressor - already not in good shape, though it is fairly old (not sure how old but maybe 15-30 years). I just want a nice, relatively large compressor that I can trust and won't have to worry about (of course, keep up on the maintenance also).

I am a fan of Champion and Quincy compressors. I would NOT buy one from a big box store. I purchased my Champion online from TP tools. It is a 19cfm 80 gallon RV series. It runs great. My largest consumer of air is a CNC plasma cutting table. JMO

I am in the same boat. Been looking for a couple years now. I just looked at the Ingersoll at tractor supply and the 5hp 80 gallon has a compressor made in China now. They were from India.
From my research the low end quincy is the same situation.
The Saylor Bealle is made about 30 miles from me but the cost is more than 2 times as much. I just can't justify it for my own use. It would be different if you have a business that depends on one.

Joe

If you're buying new, consider customer service, so buying locally would be my recommendation. If buying used, I would recommend inspecting the tank with a borescope and the drain system. Also looking at the electrical connections for evidence of excessive heat and of course, you'll want to hear it run and cycle. I'd also want to see at least a sample of the oil in it.

As for what size unit to buy, it sounds like your Air Lift and air tools want at least 90 psi. CFM you'll have to calculate based upon how many tools will be running at a time and how often they are running. This is where tank size and the number of stages will come into play - smaller units may be running continuously vs a larger unit that will cycle less frequently. If you're a one-man operation, you might be able to get away with a 60-gallon single-stage unit (about 18 cfm at 90 psi). Whichever unit you choose, buy/build a good dryer system for it.

This is my opinion when I was shopping a few years ago, and that is unless you are buying an industrial unit, the other stuff is mostly rebranded and built by only a few different manufactures - just like the other machines we buy. Buy from a trusted source.

And wiring - bigger units require bigger wiring - ask me how I know!

Your application will ultimately drive your price. It sounds like you could get by on a much smaller compressor, maybe in the 2.5 hp range. I do my own automotive body and paint, plus I have an abrasive blasting cabinet, so I need a non-negotiable real-world 20 CFM minimum. The cost difference between the two requirements is four- to six-fold.

I'd love to recommend a 15 hp screw compressor to you, but I think you'd do fine with a compact unit due to your usage demands. Most handheld air tools aren't that hungry for volume.

I would look for a 2 stage compressor. Kellogg has made literally hundreds of models over the years. They range in size from 3.4 cfm to 20.2 cfm. Motors range in HP from .75 to 20. Be aware that even though a compressor might have a given model of pump there are often a dozen or more versions of that model. Kellogg only makes (or made) 9 different models of piston pumps, however there are at least a dozen different versions of some models. My 311 pump (smallest 2 stage they made) had 15 different versions ranging in cfm from 3.5 to 6.5. They had maximum pressures ranging from 100 psi to 200 psi and hp ratings from 3/4hp to 1.5 hp.

Here's a spec sheet for the compressors they made. The 311 is no longer available, but many of the others are. Although my compressor uses a Kellogg pump it was sold under the name Henke Pacemaker out of Milwaukee WI.

Attachments

• Henke - Kellog American - compressor info 2A.doc
    389.5 KB · Views: 8
I have a Campbell-Hausfeld 80 gallon two stage, that I bought from Home Depot, it’s been, except for some pressure switch issue, the compressor has been stellar. I‘d buy another in a heartbeat.

Whichever unit you choose, buy/build a good dryer system for it.

Any thoughts on ways of keeping water out of the tank? As in - getting moisture out of the intake? I don't know a whole lot about compressors and drying theory - but water condensing in the tank appears to be the long-term killer of a tank/compressor (why mine isn't safe). I am not sure there is a way to alleviate that? I am familiar with keeping lines dry on the output - that is critical for paint work. Though, at the point I'd upgrade compressors improving the set up I have - and replacing the hoses - would be on order also so as to start fresh.

I like the idea of an in-line oiler, but the other side of that coin is is it would have to be bypassed for paint and vac work. So maybe having a manifold where the oiler could sit inline with a tool hose and other uses could pull off the line upstream of the oiler on a dedicated (dry/no lube) hose.

Dry air is another can of worms that can cost as much as the compressor.
Janderso said the Ingersoll 2 stage. That is what I have been debating about. But after reading many very poor feedbacks from people on tractor supply site it makes me kinda hesitant. Motors burning up and compressors failing and not getting covered by the warranty. Usually stating is was incorrectly installed or used for a business. Check it out. And most state that tractor supply is no help. It all has to go through IR.
Joe

Back