Upgrade - Shop Air - Quality 60-80gal compressors?

You should check out Polar Air. Their built - assembled around Dayton, oh. They offer a wide selection. I've been looking at their 7.5 hp, 80 gallon 2 stage .
They seem to have decent prices and different optionsi live about 45 minutes nort west of Dublin
Thanks scruffy Ron

I am ready to give up on my bubble gum and duct tape compressor. I just checked out Polar Air. I trust Eaton, that's a good name behind them. They have a quiet air compressor that has the same parts at $1000 less than the Emax I've been looking at. That's a big deal @Scruffy , you might have saved me some big cheddar here!

Sorry double post Check out Polar Air. Their built - assembled around Dayton Ohio. You can purchase and pick up there. I 've been looking at their 7.5 hp 80 gallon tank 2 stage.
I live about 45 minutes north west of you.
Tanks scruffy Ron

Back at you pontiac428. I like their options such as contionus run , auto drain ect, plus I only live about 70 miles from there, so I could pick it up and save shipping.
Thanks scruffy Ron

My friend in Tucson has the Eaton (Polar Air), it has served him well but the castings are very rough and was not what I was looking for. Some debate on where the parts come from, see post below. In the end, these "larger/heavier" compressors will last a very long time no matter which one you choose. You get what you pay for.

That is some enlightening stuff. So Emax is Eaton-Max, the more Chinese version of Eaton Polar. The mind boggles.

Some debate on where the parts come from, see post below. In the end, these "larger/heavier" compressors will last a very long time no matter which one you choose.

The almighty dollar is what guides "things". Per your 2nd post/link on Hotrodders - Eaton seems to be a less-than-ethical company covering up where things are made. Again - the almighty dollar. Its cheaper to source parts from China, which is a shame, and apparently there are regulations in the US for what the "legal definition" is of "made in US". The figure in the article (not sure on the accuracy, either then or now - post was from 2008 = 12 years ago) was 60%; meaning if 60% of a product is made or assembled in US it can carry the "made in US" label. Not to debate or debunk Eaton units, the tactics displayed in the post to cover up where things are made speaks pretty loudly of the lack of ethics/poor ethics of those driving the company. People showing that their products aren't "made in US" hurts sales and market growth opportunities - and thus the company has tried to cover them up (the almighty dollar at the root of it).

Sadly, lots of companies fall prisoner to the dollar - and "ethics" is a big buzz word with HR departments everywhere you look and you have to do some form of "ethics training" onboarding with most places. Whats the point when those running the companies are enethical to their customers and employees? Anywho - that is off-topic.

Ingersoll Rand has some similar unethical tactics on display around the Internet. I don't have a direct link, but I recall hearing about a lawsuit somewhere/some time where an employee was "let go" a day before his pension would have kicked in. The point of the "let go" was to keep the company from owing the pension $ to the employee. If I recall correctly, the employee won.

A friend of mine has been in the auto repair industry all his working life. He mentioned their shop switched to Aircat tools because they are the best value for the $. I was looking at Ingersoll Rand impacts a while back and talked to my buddy. Their shop had bad experiences with quality and lack of support from IR so they said "no more" and went all Aircat. From that conversation I found from others online similar stories and experiences. My heavy impact is a 3/4" Aircat Vibrotherm as the result. I can't justify the 2x price for an IR. Back in the day (15-20 years ago) they might have been worth the investment, but not with the poor information out there about their lackluster support and treatment of employees.

We built many over the years and was never satisfied as there was always something missing.

Last build was a 4 cyl pump, 5 hp motor and it made plenty of cfm but single stage it cycled below our operating pressure.

Bit the bullet and bought a real unit, DONE!

unless you want to do compressor as hobby, save up and buy a good one once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
The thing missing was the engineering behind building a compressor

Guys and gals,
Don't mess around with an old unknown tank.
A local guy was killed last week due to an exploding air tank.
The compressor was old. A fellow hobby guy in his garage.
When in doubt, throw it out.

Back