Turning Square Threads

Main reason-Acme and the similar threads are far stronger than a 60deg thread form of same size.
Acme and similar threads are better for transmitting motion and better centralize components to the thread center.

That's my understanding. The steeper angle of the thread itself puts more of the force axial rather than radial. If you look at any vice or c-clamp you'll notice they have acme threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info everybody. I don't see my boss much, mostly for the Monday night class where I teach the lathe intro part. I don't know if he is being generic about "square" thread, I'll ask tonight. All the info given about the thread is correct, strength most important, their 'bots are varying sizes but most linear components utilize a "square" thread, servo's, etc.

I've asked him if they are going to be building a Battle Bot, he smiled and said 'maybe'. The class that they are in, they get demerits if they cause damage to any bot. They HAVE gone to Battle Bots.

Anybody do it?

My boss is a mentor on a high skool robotics team, I like this guy. Anyhow, he asked me if it is possible to machine square threads. I said 'sure it is'. He's been telling me about having to but square thread drive rods for student projects, this has come up more than once.

A student in my 'Lathe 101' class asked me if I was going to show them how to turn threads in class. I told her (yes, a HER) that I wasn't sure, I'd have to ask my boss, the instructor. See where I am going here?

I'm going to be hitting him up for tooling to cut threads. We need holders and inserts for our Dorian toolpost but what is used for square threads, a parting blade? I'm sure there has to be renewable carbide holders.

Gawd, it's been so long since I machined threads, I'm used to standard sizes that we'd machine with the lathe and a diestock. I just missed out on some p/t time work for a hydraulic company and another is advertising.
you shouldn't act so surprised that a girl/woman is in machining , we may be some what rare just because we are always told its not something we should do. I have always been the rebellious type so I did what I wanted ;)
I have been posting videos on YouTube in hopes of getting more girls/women interested in machining.
I would love to mentor some one myself if I could find some one interested in my city (Denver Colorado)

Heather

you shouldn't act so surprised that a girl/woman is in machining , we may be some what rare just because we are always told its not something we should do. I have always been the rebellious type so I did what I wanted ;)
I have been posting videos on YouTube in hopes of getting more girls/women interested in machining.
I would love to mentor some one myself if I could find some one interested in my city (Denver Colorado)

Heather

And quite entertaining they are!

Heather

Hi Heather,

I'm not surprised one bit, my emphasis was because it WAS a woman wanting to know. I'm not one bit sexist, especially in the position I have here, and have worked closely with women at many of my jobs in Manufacturing, both on the floor and in an office. Actually, I LIKE seeing women working with their hands and her question about threading has given me more ammunition (pun intended ;)) to get more tooling, it's like pulling teeth around here. I have two women in my class and hope we get more, they are very interested in what I'm showing them and I'm happy to show them more. Next week I'm hoping to move onto Bridgeport 101.

Hi Heather,

I'm not surprised one bit, my emphasis was because it WAS a woman wanting to know. I'm not one bit sexist, especially in the position I have here, and have worked closely with women at many of my jobs in Manufacturing, both on the floor and in an office. Actually, I LIKE seeing women working with their hands and her question about threading has given me more ammunition (pun intended ;)) to get more tooling, it's like pulling teeth around here. I have two women in my class and hope we get more, they are very interested in what I'm showing them and I'm happy to show them more. Next week I'm hoping to move onto Bridgeport 101.

awesome Tom. I didn't think you were sexist you just seemed surprised that there was a woman in the class so I was just chiming in to let you know we exist. we are not quite as rare as the lochness monster but maybe close ;)

Heather
Where in denver? I'm in Littleton. I always enjoy chatting with others with similar interests.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Hello Heather, glad you're here. The forum is in for a real treat.
Hope you post up some of your work. :encourage:

Back