Tool wish you kept

I had a WWII vintage, hydraulic arbor press that came from the defunct Castro Convertible sofa-bed factory. It was a real beast that could easily exceed its rated capacity of 30 tons. Alas, I was on hard times and the folks at my former shop, where I had it stored wanted it out of there... so I let it go, way too cheap. Depressing indeed.

My Grandfathers bench mount belt sander.
He didn't have much for tools at home. To preoccupied with feeding 8 kids.
The belt sander was tired.
At the time I had no way of turning the new rollers, and pressing the bearings that she badly needed.
My brother sent her to scrap.
My Grandfather was a WWII Navy Machinist, then worked at FMC in Mpls.
I miss him.

Daryl
MN

2 of them

Index Vertical Mill, moved and the new garage didn't have the headspace to set it up.:angry:
she went for a song:bawling:

A former employer offered me a BP mill( that i used at work) for free with tooling if i would just take it out of the building.
needless to say at the time i had nowhere to keep it until about 6 months after the company shut down when i got a house with a suitable garage.
I had to give it up and decline:angry:

i have been chasing machinery ever since i got a garage, why are garages never big enough?

Last edited:
Hi All
Happy Holidays to everyone. Merry Christmas to those that still believe, and A Happy New Year.
This is an easy one, I sold my Burking 2"x72" belt grinder and got a smaller import. I get up every morning and use my auto butt kicker.:bawling: I am designing a new DIY replacement right now. This one will have a 2hp 3ph/ VFD to make it more usable. I had made a lot of tooling for the Burking and I loved that machine. Yep all the tooling went with it.:bawling: I retired and did not need a large powerful grinder, I thought Big mistake. Did I mention I kick myself every day.
:nono:
CH

Hi do they have a TV show for tool hoarders, i would be a good episode, the thing that bothers me is not having so many tools but what happens to them after the dirt nap. I have 50 years of woodworking and metal working machines plus 2 auto-body toolboxes. I was thinking of selling some stuff that I don't use but again its hard to pry from my hands. I hope to see some of you at the next tool hoarders anonymous meeting.

Do yard tools count? Right now the tool I miss most is my log splitter. I can't believe the cost of a new one. :panic:

Hi do they have a TV show for tool hoarders, i would be a good episode, the thing that bothers me is not having so many tools but what happens to them after the dirt nap. I have 50 years of woodworking and metal working machines plus 2 auto-body toolboxes. I was thinking of selling some stuff that I don't use but again its hard to pry from my hands. I hope to see some of you at the next tool hoarders anonymous meeting.

I think most of the members here are tool hoarders.

Hi,
My name is Mike, I AM A TOOL HOARDER.
i too would make a good case study in machine depravity.
my affliction started when i was a small boy. My grandfather let me hang out in his shop.
He's been gone 37 years now, i still remember the smell and the feeling of just being there.
it's the closest thing to magic that i could ever describe.
He was a man of simple means, his shop is not what i would call extensive by any stretch.
What he did have was a knack for fixing just about anything with the most seemingly modest of machinery and tooling.
i learned at an early age that your mind is the first toolbox you go to.
IMHO, you can have the most extensive toolbox and all the fanciest and newest things technology can offer.
they will never be any use if you don't have the power of thought or an idea of Why the thing you are working on works.
Other things i learned from him is that many things can be repaired with simple means, and not to let a small bump in the road stop the project.

I horde tools for the eventuality that there will be a problem down the road, i wanna be prepared for anything!!!!
i'm pretty dang close:))

It ain't junk!

It's useful stuff!

I just don't yet know what the use is.

Back