Tool wish you kept

Smithdoor

Active User
Registered
This thread is for tool ever wish they kept
I have more than one tools I sold and I replace
Starting with a 9A sound bend lathe not once and twice ever the third time. even got a 10K New and lost it too

I am on my fourth 9A

Dave

Havent sold anything I really wanted to keep yet. A couple of times I moved house and gave away some things that just wouldnt fit the moving container. Ended up buying or making replacements. No more plans to move again so I should be right I hope.

cheers Phil

I've never sold anything I wanted to keep. I've never regretted selling anything either. Usually when I sell something, it's because it's outlived its usefulness to me, or I already have a plan to replace it with something better. I very rarely sell my tools unless I have to many spares or one of the above conditions applies. :)

I'm not selling or throwing tools, just buying more as I suspect most people here do :))

I wish I had kept my belt drive 10 x 24" Jet bench lathe. I sold it to help pay for my 16 x 40 gear head. But,the Jet offered many more threads than either the 16" or my Hardinge HLVH. And,its belt drive makes smoother surfaces than the gear head. It is not made any more.

Everyone seems gear head happy these days. They are easier to change speeds on,but,only very high quality gear head lathes do not leave gear echoes in the metal being turned. Those high quality lathes are not made any more. I refer to Dean,Smith and Grace,for one example. They leave dead smooth surfaces. But,even their 13" model is tremendously heavy for its swing. I tried one out last Summer. Its bed was too worn out for me,but still cut very smooth. The guy wanted way too much,too.

The Hardinge is a belt drive,making very smooth surfaces,but it has a limited thread range unless you buy super expensive outboard gear sets.

One that always seems to haunt me is a Goodell Pratt 125 Toolsmith lathe that was loaded. These come up for sale all the time but this one had the uber rare turret tailstock attachment. This was 10 years ago and I still havnt seen one :talktogod:

img11.gif

img11.gif

My mind...lost it years ago. :nuts:

But in all seriousness, there are a few vises that I restored to flip that I regret selling because they were unique. So the lesson learned is to be very careful of what gets sold.
Here are some pictures:

P1010001.JPG WILTON FG VISE1.JPG VINDEX VISE3.jpg

I had a beautiful 2" tool makers vise that was made by my father-in-law. I've never seen a small vise quite like it. When my ex-wife moved out, she took the vise with her.

I plan to make my own this winter but I have to work from memory. I really miss that vise.

Havent sold anything I really wanted to keep yet. A couple of times I moved house and gave away some things that just wouldnt fit the moving container. Ended up buying or making replacements. No more plans to move again so I should be right I hope.

cheers Phil
same here.....now cars and guitars ,amps and women. that's another story

Always feel sorry, that I gave away my big Barnes camel back, (due to space restrictions,) + & a nice geared head Milnes toolroom lathe, At the same time, Istill have a Holbrook, does everything I want in bigger turning, jobs, But I still miss the Milnes.
When the shop I served my apprenticeship in, went belly up, 45 years ago, During the disposal I was at the clearing out of one item of the plant, for some other folk, In the shop was a nice old Belgian Soag toolroom lathe, Speaking to the then director, He said he wanted a fair lot of money for it, Ended up after I was away from the scene it subsequently went for a pittance, Was I sick as a parrot!

Back