Tool wish you kept

I was unaware there was even a subtraction equation for tool reduction. Sneaky little math guys

Now that you mention it, it does bring back bad memories, I do remember selling a 3/4 drive Gray socket set that I swapped the ratchet for a Williams ratchet.

Wish I had kept my first lathe, an old Dean,Smith and Grace 13Z, it was a bit of a dog, the old girl had been dropped on her front or bomb damaged or something. The screwcutting gearbox casting had been smashed and welded back together, as had the handwheel. but it was absoutely rigid and would turn just about anything you could get in the chuck. After I had cleaned it up and adjusted everything, I got a local engineering shop to make me a new crosslide nut out of a blank I filed up, adjusted all the gybes, and she was great. I have a Colchester and a Covmac now, but she was my first love! This is me and her in the 1970's.
Phil

DS&G 1.jpg

In 1985 I bought the lathe from a one man shop that was closing. Beautiful 5 hp Clausing lathe with VS to 3500 rpm, short bed, a rare machine , only ever seen one other. Royal closer, Aloris, chucks galore. 3 years later we move across country and I sold it to avoid moving it. Dumbest thing I ever did. I had literally 20 calls on lathe first morning it was in paper. A guy came ready to buy , truck , trailor, lift, pinch bars and a huge friend and a pocket full of hundreds. Oh well, I learned dont sell great stuff unless you are broke. I made money on owning it,but that doesn't make me feel any smarter.

michael

Wish I had my 1955 Chevy 2 door Bel Aire. Sold it for $650 back in 1970....have the same girl friend though...wife now for 42 years...

Sell!!! Tools???? never gave that a thought. :lmao:

Wish I had my 1955 Chevy 2 door Bel Aire. Sold it for $650 back in 1970....have the same girl friend though...wife now for 42 years...

Well, I didn't want to mention this because it was tool related but I had a 1957 Jeep CJ5 while I was restoring my 1945 Jeep CJ2A (which I have after 21 years). I wish I kept that '57.

Through the years, I never did sell anything, I just built bigger garages for all my tool acquisitions. Now what do I do?

Through the years, I never did sell anything, I just built bigger garages for all my tool acquisitions. Now what do I do?

40x60 pole barns aren't really all that expensive. Put up two: one for a shop and one for storage. Make sure you have open land for expansion.

Or buy a farm with a dozen ramshackle sheds, barns, and chicken coops.

Back