Tool post drilling in a small lathe

I like my toolpost-mounted drill chuck when I need to drill a larger-diameter hole. My mini lathe just doesn't have the power to go directly to drilling, say, a 1/2" hole. So I have to step through a number of drill sizes. Since their length varies a lot, that means relocating the tailstock a number of times. It's much faster for me to use the toolstock-mounted chuck for this kind of thing.

The various comments regarding the utility (or lack thereof) of a toolpost-mounted drill chuck may well be due to differences in the types of lathes folks own.

Power feed......dro read out of the depth as you drill if you have one.

I'd much rather have the speed of quick change of the mt2 set up I have over the drill chuck on the tool post.
I understand the advantages (DRO, power feed, potentially more rigid), but couldn’t you still swap out the multiple MT2 tooling with the tail stock?

I understand the advantages (DRO, power feed, potentially more rigid), but couldn’t you still swap out the multiple MT2 tooling with the tail stock?

I originally bought the spare tapers to pop into the tailstock for quick changes. Then I realized that would work for the tool post holder as well. As always, get both!

Power feeding is easier and more consistent on the chip load. I can't imagine why anyone would object to easier work and longer lasting drills. It's a quick change tool post so switching to turning or parting is a few seconds away. The morse tapers allow me to pop the tapers out in a couple seconds.

I have a cheap dro on my tailstock but my tailstock has 60mm of travel. My carriage has tons of travel. The carriage is more rigid than my tailstock.

I'm trying to see a downside but its not coming to me.
After an incident with my mill power feeding a 1/2" bit deep into a block of aluminum I will not make the mistake of doing so again.

I like my toolpost-mounted drill chuck when I need to drill a larger-diameter hole. My mini lathe just doesn't have the power to go directly to drilling, say, a 1/2" hole. So I have to step through a number of drill sizes. Since their length varies a lot, that means relocating the tailstock a number of times. It's much faster for me to use the toolstock-mounted chuck for this kind of thing.

The various comments regarding the utility (or lack thereof) of a toolpost-mounted drill chuck may well be due to differences in the types of lathes folks own.
I understand where you are coming from and that makes sense, my lathe doesn't have the same conditions so I had not thought of that. Are you using the power feed or just avoiding the pain of the tool post?

After an incident with my mill power feeding a 1/2" bit deep into a block of aluminum I will not make the mistake of doing so again.

That is fine but that in no way means that power drilling on a lathe is dangerous or prone to problems. As long as the chips are clearing the drill won't bind. I have high helix long flute drill bits for deeper holes. Good drilling practices still apply.

I love these mt2 to jt3 adapters for pre-staging drills and center drills. They cost under $12 and they take up much less room and cost less than half of an endmill holder.

20240207_184919.jpg

I used a 10/32 set screw to lock the drills in with a small flat on the drill. I drilled, bored, and reamed to size the holes in the end. I want them nice and straight.

I have another adapter coming so I'll have a no 3 and no 4 center drill and 1/4 and 5/16 pilot drills.

The 1/4" endmill holder I bought was a waste of money and space in my rack.

Get an MT2 ER16 or 25 collet holder for use with end mills.
I don't use many endmills on my lathe. Occasionally I'll need to flatten the bottom of a hole and I'll use a micro boring bar in a 3/4 shank er16 collet holder that I put in my clamp boring bar qctp holder.

This is my favorite way to hold a micro boring bar.

20240205_101804.jpg

I just might buy one for the heck of it.

Back