Tool post drilling in a small lathe

I tried this yesterday; 2MT-ER25 in tool post holder. 0.25" drill into aluminum was excellent, the corkscrew chip just flowed, about 1.0" deep. This is a prototype part, I'll approach from the other direction next, connecting a 0.50" hole to the 0.25" hole. Very impressed so far, excellent hole!

Thanks for the videos and idea!

I tried this yesterday; 2MT-ER25 in tool post holder. 0.25" drill into aluminum was excellent, the corkscrew chip just flowed, about 1.0" deep. This is a prototype part, I'll approach from the other direction next, connecting a 0.50" hole to the 0.25" hole. Very impressed so far, excellent hole!

Thanks for the videos and idea!
No pics/video? Don't believe until we see it: make sure you capture the 1/2" hole ;)

Thanks,

Charlie

Here is mine made from a 16mm capacity Albrecht chuck. I use it all the time, great for holding boring bars.
Oh, it's you. I'm a big fan of your channel. Your setup looks so easy to use.

Oh, it's you. I'm a big fan of your channel. Your setup looks so easy to use.
Thanks. It is probably the most useful & pleasant to use tool I have made. It's a pity you are not in the UK, I would love to loan it to you.

No pics/video? Don't believe until we see it: make sure you capture the 1/2" hole ;)

Thanks,

Charlie

I know, no picture, it didn't happen, lol.

This part is far from finished: The 1/4" hole will be bored to final I.D., the outside will be turned to final O.D., and it will be faced to proper distance from the threaded radial holes. BTW, I tried my Spin Indexer for the first time to get those radial holes drilled and tapped, it worked great :).

Anyway, here's a picture looking into the 1/4" hole, and a link to a short video showing the hole being drilled deeper; it had initially been drilled just past the radial holes. Spindle RPM was about 200, slow power feed, no lube. I'll make a video when I do the 1/2" side.

Tool Post Drilling

Tool Post Drill - 0.jpg

This part is far from finished: The 1/4" hole will be bored to final I.D., the outside will be turned to final O.D., and it will be faced to proper distance from the threaded radial holes. BTW, I tried my Spin Indexer for the first time to get those radial holes drilled and tapped, it worked great :).

Anyway, here's a picture looking into the 1/4" hole, and a link to a short video showing the hole being drilled deeper; it had initially been drilled just past the radial holes. Spindle RPM was about 200, slow power feed, no lube. I'll make a video when I do the 1/2" side.

Tool Post Drilling

View attachment 478719
Verry niice! I hadn’t thought about using the ER collets for drilling as well as holding end mills, but makes sense. I’ll have to check how deep the center hole is in my MT2 chuck.

I'm still waiting on my ER16 TO MT2 chuck. The project is pretty much done.

20240217_161033.jpg

Tool Post Drilling

View attachment 478719
The last video I did was hot roll steel I had laying around. I drilled the pilot hole 1/4" at 1000 rpm and 0.0025" per revolution. No need to run so slow on aluminum.

First, I apologize for the jerkiness in the video, the camera is on a magnetic base clamped to my computer's keyboard/mouse platform, every time I use the mouse the platform jiggles, I'll find a better spot for it.

This is my first time with a 1/2" drill so I kept fiddling with speeds, power feeds, and lube. In the end, I think 400 rpm, medium feed and a shot of tapping fluid worked the best. I also need to wear gloves, those shavings are sharp! Anyway, the 1/2" hole is not critical, it's plenty good enough with a drill, that it's way above my requirements and expectations is delightful :D .

Here's a link to the video, and a picture of the hole.

Tool Post 0.5" Drilling

0.5 inch hole.jpg

I also need to wear gloves, those shavings are sharp!

No gloves around moving equipment! And the swarf will get imbedded into the gloves: get a couple of pairs of extra long, plastic tweezers to handle the swarf (after the chuck stops moving).

Like these:
IMG_6691_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

Last edited:
Back