Tool boxes

I’d agree that this would be better for a mechanic, but a machinist has different requirements: lots of smaller/less deep storage in a toolbox for precision instruments and deeper drawers in a chest for tooling.

It certainly depends on needs. OP's the description it sounded like a variety of things. Top & intermediate boxes can have shallow drawers (like in Bone Head's earlier post

My Kennedy has small-ish stuff: arbors, mandrels, scales, small squares, wigglers, thread (comb) gages, my workhorse 6" caliper, a 1" mic, etc... Larger and heavier stuff like boring bars, EMs R8/C5 collets, boxed mics/test indicators/bore gage: tool chest/cab (similar to mksj's cabinets).

On a budget: the tool chest/cab will handle both. But not quite so the other way around. My 2c! :grin:

I wonder how many iterations I'll have to build before I come up with a final design I like?
Back in the late 1980’s I started a job doing woodworking. The “workshop” was pretty pathetically equipped so I’d take my own tools from home every day, and my box was made from a converted travel trunk.

They were pretty easy to come by at that time as I guess lots of people who used them were either downsizing (before that was even a word) or downright dying off. Anyway, this one I picked up from either a driveway sale or one of the shops downtown. It converted pretty easily, and I basically made thin plywood liners for all the interior surfaces and then covered those in fabric. What used to be the garment hanger rods became supports for two removable trays with fitted cavities to prevent small layout tools, etc from rolling around. The back and side panels held larger tools snug with turn dogs, and the bottom shoe compartment with snap-down cover held my canvas chisel and screwdriver rolls. I could lay the whole packed box onto its side (and I did every day to get it in and out of my ‘67 Nova trunk) and nothing moved.

Worked great, I had it for a long time but finally needed the space and scrapped it. Still have the job though!

Sorry about the photo — snapshots were the order of the day back then

-frank

1670646167391.jpeg

Looks like that's where Montezuma got their inspiration from. https://www.montezumastorage.com/

201GEE003BKT_SB360D_montezuma_36x17_triangle_shop_box_main_img_1_900x.jpg

@redvan22 - Based on the stuff you want to store and the fact that you want it on your benchtop: I'd say your best bet would be intermediate and/or top box from a rolling mechanics toolbox/chest. Would have more capacity and strength than a Kennedy.
That's interesting. I've never seen Montezuma toolboxes. The main difference between them and the idea I've got in my head is that with the Montezuma boxes, the lid is just a lid. The idea of the steamer trunk in my original post is that the lid folds up to become the other half of the storage capacity. The Montezuma lids would be prohibitively heavy if they were loaded with tools! Still, they look great. The tools look to be in easy reach!

Hello again,
I'm getting tired of things gathering around my lathe, mill and on my bench because I have nowhere to put them. What I mean is I have a center finder, in it's plastic pouch, in it's box stacked next to my mill with other items, in their pouches, in their boxes stacked around or just other things pilling up around.... I could go on but I think I you get my point...

I think it's time for a tool box (tool chest) that'll fit on my bench so I can organize and get rid of the pouches and boxes. Floor space is at a premium so a roll around base or some configuration there of isn't feasible.

Of course, I did an internet search and Amazon poked it's head in with suggestions.

So, at Amazon, I see a few by Gerstner that look nice and roomy but the image clearly shows finger-jointed material used in the construction and I know what that means. (Did a lot of carpentry work in my youth. Finger-joint should never be used when staining, only painting. It's low class.) I don't want to spend $$ to have it crack or warp later on.

I have a decent amount of stuff, lathe boring bars, lathe tool bit collection, measuring devices, milling things like I mentioned, 1-2-3 blocks, etc...

Any suggestions as to manufacturer, style, etc., would be appreciated.

Michael

I've made a couple of tool **racks** - a bit like the Montezuma stuff, but not so built for transport. There are two in the picture here - the hand tool rack in the foreground and a welding tool rack in the background (with the fire extinguisher attached). Both started out trying to figure out the best way to use organizers from SWAG Offroad - the "Clutter Catcher" and I forget what they call their cordless tool organizer (which you can barely see - it's facing away on the tool rack in the foreground. For toolboxes I'm still a big fan of Horror Fraught "U.S. General", but these are a nice addition.
tool_rack.jpg

Don't know if this will change anyone's feelings about Gerstner tool boxes, but here goes: Gerstner 2609 DIY Kit Instructions. Finished Kit (kit is on sale for $835):

View attachment 429394

They have some 2nd Class finished tool boxes on sale also; the Walnut 2613 is only $1,735:

View attachment 429395

I got mine 30-ish years ago, and pretty sure I paid around $400. I've had all of the drawers out and still can't find anything I would reject it for.
NOW THAT'S a toolbox.

I did a search on YouTube and found many channels devoted to the subject. One in particular made a really nice box out of used pallets. Where I work, we get machinery in every day on pallets. I have a planer, table saw, jointer everything I would need except with the holidays coming up, I have no time but, I've decided that's the way I'm going.

Already picked out a few pallets with good knot free boards that I can salvage enough wood from between the nail holes to get what I need. They will easily fit in the back of my pickup and the yard manager has them earmarked for me so they will not be going anywhere until I need them.

I did a search on YouTube and found many channels devoted to the subject. One in particular made a really nice box out of used pallets. Where I work, we get machinery in every day on pallets. I have a planer, table saw, jointer everything I would need except with the holidays coming up, I have no time but, I've decided that's the way I'm going.

Already picked out a few pallets with good knot free boards that I can salvage enough wood from between the nail holes to get what I need. They will easily fit in the back of my pickup and the yard manager has them earmarked for me so they will not be going anywhere until I need them.
Guy Lautard has an overall drawing of a Gerstner style toolbox in TMBR #1 (dimensioned, but no details; it's copyrighted so I can't post.

Back