Tool boxes

So, at Amazon, I see a few by Gerstner that look nice and roomy but the image clearly shows finger-jointed material used in the construction and I know what that means. (Did a lot of carpentry work in my youth. Finger-joint should never be used when staining, only painting. It's low class.) I don't want to spend $$ to have it crack or warp later on....

Gerstner has two lines of boxes. One is called "Gerstner International". These are imports but pretty well-made compared to the cheapie wood boxes like at HF, etc. You can find these as seconds on Gerstner's web site.

The regular line is made in the USA, and of first quality (and priced accordingly).

Both use finger-jointed connections in places, but I doubt you'd find anyone claiming they are poorly made for all that. Mine is as old as I am (which is old) and the box joints are all tight as a tick. But it was never allowed to get wet, either.

As to the larger issue, I feel your pain. I have two mechanics stacks, one very large and one merely large, for SAE and metric mechanics tools, respectively. I have another base cabinet that is part of a bench for bench-repair small tools, power tools, supplies, and polishing stuff. Then, there's the base cart full of metrology stuff, drills, and end mills. The Gerstner box on the bench has more metrology stuff in it, along with the Kennedy mid-box it sits on. There's another largish Kennedy machinists box upstairs with clock and watch tools in it. I have a drawer unit that has brass instrument repair and other supplies in it. And then there's the rolling cart on which I put an Armor Tool bench top for woodworking assembly. I need a set of drawers that nicely fill up the space under the lathe's chip tray for lathe tooling, and I think I'll end up making that myself.

Rick "have you seen the prices of machinists drawer units these days?" Denney

I have had a Gerstner International for 10 years. It is nicely made and is holding up very well. I'm happy with that box. I have a Kennedy that came from my dad's uncle, used that while working in the machine shop long ago. Nice box. These days, I like the HF US General boxes, they really turned a corner with those offerings. Can't go wrong, really. Last cabinet I bought was HF, and unless I get a Vidmar at an acution, the next toolbox I buy will be HF too.

I've got a few smaller tool boxes for stuff I use but might use in different places , so I have a tool box full of files , one with measuring equipment in it and a random "i'm using that" box. :)

Also the stacking / louver panel tubs are handy for stuff to keep it together.

Standard stuff goes into the roll cab.

Stu

Purchased a 26" US General roller cab to use as a table for a Weiss 25L-D mill. They really are well made boxes - heavy steel, smooth slides, fine finish. Having owned two of these tool boxes for two very different purposes, they both share a flaw that drives me nuts. The drawer layout cannot be changed. For tools frequently used but large in height, I must bend lower than these old bones allow. Small price to pay for a small price to pay.

Everyone's needs are different, mechaniced for a number of years, so there's that box. The bargain box off of CL,MP, or in my case the newspaper ad. Point is, many things can be used to get by, till that bargain comes along, don't get in a hurry.

Made this one with estate sale bench, thrift store slides and shelves as drawers, assorted leftover radio rack rails and aluminum sheet from the remnant stack at the supply house.
713ec953f2725194355ae358cd90cead.jpg
534b67b2de6627236ff1f256c33f515a.jpg
08826a15723242cf750d03f9a03b67ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Funny thing I ran across this thread. I know this won't help the original poster, but years ago I found plans on some woodworking website to build a toolbox with (what I think is) a unique design. And of course, I didn't print it out or save it so now I can't find it. So, I just gave up and forgot about it. That was years ago.

Then, YESTERDAY... I was wasting time on Facebook and I ran across this photo of a "steamer trunk" with the same design idea! The steamer trunks were what passengers used on ships going to Europe, back in the day (late 19th century?).

Anyway, the picture shows the design I'd like to incorporate in my next toolbox build. The idea is that it eliminates the need to unpack while onboard the ship - it acts as a substitute for a dresser for your clothes.

I realized that if this "steamer trunk" design was available long ago, then maybe the plans I saw for the toolbox simply borrowed the concept for a different purpose!

Anyhow, I still can't find the plans, but looking at this photo gave me the idea of getting some 1/4"-thick plywood from Hobby Lobby and trying my hand at constructing a miniature prototype. I wonder how many iterations I'll have to build before I come up with a final design I like?

Attachments

• Convertible Steamer Trunk.jpg
    Convertible Steamer Trunk.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 16
Don't know if this will change anyone's feelings about Gerstner tool boxes, but here goes: Gerstner 2609 DIY Kit Instructions. Finished Kit (kit is on sale for $835):

2609 DIY Finished Kit.jpeg

They have some 2nd Class finished tool boxes on sale also; the Walnut 2613 is only $1,735:

2613 2nd Walnut.jpeg

I got mine 30-ish years ago, and pretty sure I paid around $400. I've had all of the drawers out and still can't find anything I would reject it for.

Funny thing I ran across this thread. I know this won't help the original poster, but years ago I found plans on some woodworking website to build a toolbox with (what I think is) a unique design. And of course, I didn't print it out or save it so now I can't find it. So, I just gave up and forgot about it. That was years ago.
Looks like that's where Montezuma got their inspiration from. https://www.montezumastorage.com/

201GEE003BKT_SB360D_montezuma_36x17_triangle_shop_box_main_img_1_900x.jpg

@redvan22 - Based on the stuff you want to store and the fact that you want it on your benchtop: I'd say your best bet would be intermediate and/or top box from a rolling mechanics toolbox/chest. Would have more capacity and strength than a Kennedy.

Back