Tool boxes

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello again,
I'm getting tired of things gathering around my lathe, mill and on my bench because I have nowhere to put them. What I mean is I have a center finder, in it's plastic pouch, in it's box stacked next to my mill with other items, in their pouches, in their boxes stacked around or just other things pilling up around.... I could go on but I think I you get my point...

I think it's time for a tool box (tool chest) that'll fit on my bench so I can organize and get rid of the pouches and boxes. Floor space is at a premium so a roll around base or some configuration there of isn't feasible.

Of course, I did an internet search and Amazon poked it's head in with suggestions.

So, at Amazon, I see a few by Gerstner that look nice and roomy but the image clearly shows finger-jointed material used in the construction and I know what that means. (Did a lot of carpentry work in my youth. Finger-joint should never be used when staining, only painting. It's low class.) I don't want to spend $$ to have it crack or warp later on.

I have a decent amount of stuff, lathe boring bars, lathe tool bit collection, measuring devices, milling things like I mentioned, 1-2-3 blocks, etc...

Any suggestions as to manufacturer, style, etc., would be appreciated.

Michael

Hello again,
I'm getting tired of things gathering around my lathe, mill and on my bench because I have nowhere to put them. What I mean is I have a center finder, in it's plastic pouch, in it's box stacked next to my mill with other items, in their pouches, in their boxes stacked around or just other things pilling up around.... I could go on but I think I you get my point...

I think it's time for a tool box (tool chest) that'll fit on my bench so I can organize and get rid of the pouches and boxes. Floor space is at a premium so a roll around base or some configuration there of isn't feasible.

Of course, I did an internet search and Amazon poked it's head in with suggestions.

So, at Amazon, I see a few by Gerstner that look nice and roomy but the image clearly shows finger-jointed material used in the construction and I know what that means. (Did a lot of carpentry work in my youth. Finger-joint should never be used when staining, only painting. It's low class.) I don't want to spend $$ to have it crack or warp later on.

I have a decent amount of stuff, lathe boring bars, lathe tool bit collection, measuring devices, milling things like I mentioned, 1-2-3 blocks, etc...

Michael
If you're willing to spend the money on a Gerstner, maybe a Kennedy Signature might be something to consider then. Nice thing is, there are a lot of really nice ones for sale usually on Marketplace

Hello again,

Michael
I can sympathize with you. In my shop there's a complete lack of space for my lathe tooling. Decided to finally make some AXA toolholder holders for my lathe. My toolholders are laying in the pan and getting junk on them, but I had no place to put them. I designed the holders to grab onto some 1.5" 80/20. I will mount this on the backsplash of my lathe. Printing them now, 9 of them. I'm hoping this clears some table space that I dearly need. I have two sticks of 80/20 so I'm pretty sure I can properly hang up my lathe tooling. I will need to design some holders for my drill chuck and live center as well.
canvas1.png
The fight against clutter is difficult. You make do for a while, but then you have to do something to make it better, be it a new toolbox or a way to use some unclaimed space, be it vertical or horizontal. Good luck, it seems we both need it!

Harbor Freight's "US General" brand boxes are very good. Better than current Kennedy / Kennedy Signature boxes which have declined in quality. My Kennedy boxes are loaded much more lightly and the drawers have not been smooth in a long time. I can appreciate that a recommendation for HF is always suspect, but check them out - they're heavy construction and very durable. I haven't seen better for even two to three times the price.

GsT

Hello again,

Michael
I have Gerstner (walnut 26”), Craftsman & (many) Kennedy boxes, risers & chests. Most of the Kennedys are 40 years old and look new and the used ones I picked up earlier this year are probably 20 years old but look good. The Gerstner is 30 years old and also looks like new. The couple of Craftsman (not Companion) I have are newer and are well built, not quite but almost Kennedy quality.

I care for my tool’s & equipment perhaps more than others so my experience may not be typical. However, I have never heard anyone who turned their noses up at a Gerstner box.

All that said, a lot of folks have good things to say about the higher end HF boxes & chests.

Harbor Freight's "US General" brand boxes are very good. Better than current Kennedy / Kennedy Signature boxes which have declined in quality. My Kennedy boxes are loaded much more lightly and the drawers have not been smooth in a long time. I can appreciate that a recommendation for HF is always suspect, but check them out - they're heavy construction and very durable. I haven't seen better for even two to three times the price.

GsT
last one I bought is very nice and inexpensive for what it is. Made in Taiwan too.

The Craftsman at Home Depot are cheaper on sale than the same size Harbor Freight and have 100 lb capacity drawers. I made my benches at a height that the boxes without casters slide right under, with 3 inches or so on top for hammers.

GsT
I have to agree,
I have a US General box for my machining/ tooling and equipment.
I've had it for 4 years now. I would highly recommend the US General brand tool box.
I know right, Harbor Freight and all.

All that name brand stuff is great but the real meat and potatoes is number and size of drawers.
Lots of thin drawers are better than a few, that is one thing you will notice about dedicated machinist tool boxes thin drawers.

Back