Tool boxes

When I decided to upgrade from a no-brand box that was falling apart (I *had* abused it) I checked out boxes from about every manufacturer I could find. While not comprehensive, my litmus test is to fully pull out the bottom drawer, grasp the front, and see how much I can move it side-to-side with very modest force. Results are pretty disappointing even for some expensive premium brand boxes. Name and cost go hand in hand, but quality does not necessarily follow...

Hello again,
I'm getting tired of things gathering around my lathe, mill and on my bench because I have nowhere to put them. What I mean is I have a center finder, in it's plastic pouch, in it's box stacked next to my mill with other items, in their pouches, in their boxes stacked around or just other things pilling up around.... I could go on but I think I you get my point...

I think it's time for a tool box (tool chest) that'll fit on my bench so I can organize and get rid of the pouches and boxes. Floor space is at a premium so a roll around base or some configuration there of isn't feasible.

Of course, I did an internet search and Amazon poked it's head in with suggestions.

So, at Amazon, I see a few by Gerstner that look nice and roomy but the image clearly shows finger-jointed material used in the construction and I know what that means. (Did a lot of carpentry work in my youth. Finger-joint should never be used when staining, only painting. It's low class.) I don't want to spend $$ to have it crack or warp later on.

I have a decent amount of stuff, lathe boring bars, lathe tool bit collection, measuring devices, milling things like I mentioned, 1-2-3 blocks, etc...

Any suggestions as to manufacturer, style, etc., would be appreciated.

Michael
Michael:

Do you have any photos of the current set-up? Are your machines on tables with space under them? Do you have ANY room on either side? Do you have space behind the lathe? You could set up some sort of pegboard/shelves/hooks/etc. that has places for putting stuff. How wide are the tables the machines are on? Do you have space for a small top box on them?

For my mill, I designed a stand and had a local welder make it for me. I think it was about $250. I had the narrow tool chest already, so I made the stand fit around it. I only wish I'd made the t able a bit wider.
mill table.jpg

For me lathe, I built a wood counter with a steel top and put a CL Craftsman workbench under it. Behind, I have a small shelf and hooks for tools and lube. I wish I'd made the front a little deeper or mounted the lathe a little more the the left; I'm constantly setting down tool holders, calipers, etc. down and there needs to be about 2" more space.
There is a cupboard above the lathe, but it has paint cans in it. I could use the space for lathe stuff, though. I'm also 6'-2", so reaching higher is not much of an issue.
lathe (1).jpg

Figure out what you need than look on CL and FBMP. The narrow boxes don't come up often, and when they do they are really pricey, at least here in LA.

When Guerstner boxes are made the peices are numbered so they won't get confused with parts for other boxes while being prepared for finish, finish and assembly.

My kids were just wondering what to get their Dad that has everything. I suggested a Corvette C8, but they responded that they were in the process of rounding up some dust bunnies for me.
Since the Corvette was out of the question and I am not a fan of dust bunnies, I suggested they get me a HF toolbox. It will sit between my lathe and mill for all of the bits and bobs that each machine requires. I outfitted the lab at work with these Harbor Freight boxes and we are happy with them. I have an older version of the linked one, and ironically the quality has actually gone up.

Can one of you Gerstner tool box guys tell me what this means?

View attachment 428839
It means "drawer no. 3 for the box the worker randomly numbered as 376 that day". You have to remove the bottom drawer and pull the cover all the way out to see Gerstner's markings inside the box on the bottom panel.

Rick "looking for a low, wide box that will fit under an old SB lathe's chip tray" Denney

Back