To buy an overkill Weld/working bench?

I'm betting no issues.
I’d like to think that. Having witnessed the motto “Safety is not an accident” in real time ensures a mindset to error on the side of caution. When adding the rough total weight of everything together and a fudge factor, ~2,000lb table top, tools mounted (250lbs), project thats being worked on (up to say 500lbs), misc. items that will be placed on the table (200lbs), and a fudge factor of let’s say (500lbs). That’s almost 3,500lbs I’d be betting my foot/legs on. Iffy in my mind.
I would think a heavy duty pallet jack or 2 can move that around, ... just extend some tubing to allow the pallet jack to do the lifting. Maybe one on each end.
I don’t own a pallet jack, but that’s a good excuse to buy one :D Eventually, as my lady isn’t fond of this idea. For her, getting the table and having it outside she said, “It’s going to be like having pink flamingos in the yard.” Lol.
I told her, “What can I say, I’m classy that way.”

I’d like to think that. Having witnessed the motto “Safety is not an accident” in real time ensures a mindset to error on the side of caution. When adding the rough total weight of everything together and a fudge factor, ~2,000lb table top, tools mounted (250lbs), project thats being worked on (up to say 500lbs), misc. items that will be placed on the table (200lbs), and a fudge factor of let’s say (500lbs). That’s almost 3,500lbs I’d be betting my foot/legs on. Iffy in my mind.

I don’t own a pallet jack, but that’s a good excuse to buy one :D Eventually, as my lady isn’t fond of this idea. For her, getting the table and having it outside she said, “It’s going to be like having pink flamingos in the yard.” Lol.
I told her, “What can I say, I’m classy that way.”
so many old style jack stands had less material than that. Those tubes are more than the old tripod with legs that were like angle iron but round ..
They were sheet metal, not even bar stock. Rated for 2 and 3 tons.. you'll need to find out the wall thickness of the tubing, but I'll bet it's plenty strong. Just check the welds to make sure it's strong. And if you are going to keep it on the stand when moving it, you'll know immediately if it handles the rough treatment while lowering it to the ground.

I wouldn't try to offload that with a cherry picker, rent a drop deck trailer and use a winch for loading.

I also wouldn't try to put that on gravel, might be worthwhile pouring a small slab near where your shop building will go.

A little fence around it should address the wife's aesthetic concerns, worth keeping her happy.

John

I have a similar heavy bench here.
The top is 30" X 88" X 1 3/4" thick cast iron.
My now 87 yo friend worked at a giant machine/welding shop for many years.
They were supposed to mill 2 of these on all 6 sides and drill and tap a bunch of holes in it for some kind of a machine.
But...
They milled or drilled something wrong and they were scrap. So they had to eat the cost of having two new ones cast and mill them correctly. Expensive mistake for sure.
So they added 4 heavy legs and made welding tables out of the two ruined ones.
Eventually, the company was sold off and most of the machinery was auctioned.
My friend bought one of them and and I eventually bought it from him.
I weighs the better part of a ton.
As for the one you are considering, I suggest you do whatever it takes to acquire it.
A table like that is unique, it is indestructable, it is a joy to get to work on and it will Always be worth what you pay for it - like money in the bank.
Here are a couple of photos of mine.
I had my drill press mounted on it for a year or two untill I could find a suitable base for it.
I replied to another thread recently about adding the castors to it.
The feet are 1 1/2 - 6 bolts.
To move the table I screw the bolts up so the weight is on the casters. Then set it back down on the feet to level it and keep it from moving.

Attachments

• 2023-10-26_02_33_35.jpg
    2023-10-26_02_33_35.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 24
  • cvphoto120781.jpg
    cvphoto120781.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 2023-10-17_02_51_06.jpg
    2023-10-17_02_51_06.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 24
  • 2022-03-29_04_09_46.jpg
    2022-03-29_04_09_46.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 26
Are the cup holders milled into the perimeter large enough to hold a beer? If yes I would go for it!

I have a 48" x 72" laboratory optic table which I will build a work bench out of some day. 33" wide would be preferrable to 48" wide in my opinion.

I would not try to unload it with a cherry picker either. I built a gantry out of laminated 2 x 4's several years ago and have used it many times to unload heavy machines. Below is my sliding table saw which is well over a ton. The header is three 2 x 12" boards. As with any heavy lifting I NEVER let ANY part of my body get under a heavy lift!

1016211806a.jpg

Heavy duty casters are really darned expensive! After a lot of shopping around I paid over $200 for this set of 6.

20220305_212909.jpg

20220305_215328.jpg

P.S. 6 swivel casters on a mobile base are NOT easy to steer! Luckily the saw doesn't get moved much.

Last edited:
Are the cup holders milled into the perimeter large enough to hold a beer? If yes I would go for it!
Haha. I was actually thinking about making those holes into a receiver for holding a tools. I have a second bench vise, so I could make a dovetail type stinger to fit the hole and mount the vise to it. I could do the same with a bench grinder and a couple other things. Secure, yet moveable.
I would not try to unload it with a cherry picker either. I built a gantry out of laminated 2 x 4's several years ago and have used it many times to unload heavy machines. Below is my sliding table saw which is well over a ton. The header is three 2 x 12" boards. As with any heavy lifting I NEVER let ANY part of my body get under a heavy lift!
How else can I find limits to my tools ;) Installing a BBC, transmission, and transfer case all together into my lifted 4x4 on the 500lb slot was pretty dicey and the cherry picker held its own.
I definitely will not be putting any parts of my body under this. Accidents do happen, but being aware of what’s going on is no accident. I won’t have the time to unload it right away, but when it gets unloaded, I will be semi responsible.

I got it home. And to answer that pressing question of whether the perimeter holes fit a beer can. No, it doesn’t fit, though it does a water bottle.
And I was wrong about it not having swivel casters. I was throughly surprised at how well it was able to be moved around. I still feel iffy on the table frame being up to the task. I’ll have to measure the tube thickness and go from there. But it’ mine now and at a final cost of $.21 cents a pound.
Thank you again for everyones input.

Attachments

• 330BECF2-9C3A-4283-9234-05C7A416F92F.jpeg
    330BECF2-9C3A-4283-9234-05C7A416F92F.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 8C92A702-8E06-4D1E-B307-F58765975CF8.jpeg
    8C92A702-8E06-4D1E-B307-F58765975CF8.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 55805262-0D17-4821-BEDF-9E46FD708FD5.jpeg
    55805262-0D17-4821-BEDF-9E46FD708FD5.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 17
  • FB91641E-DD84-493B-BBD3-EBFD3988D3B8.jpeg