To buy an overkill Weld/working bench?

I already told you what it’s from.

Here’s some pictures and a video.

I fully believed it to be what you said as what you posted seemed pretty logical and I was going to go with that. Yet something just wasn’t sitting right with me. My understanding is that dies normally have to be machined flat and this is more like a pressed finish with flame cut edges. I tried looking before, but hit dead end. I had a bit of down time and went down that rabbit hole of looking and discovered what it’s from. It’s the frame plates from a heat exchanger and was identify as epoxy coated mild steel.

Attachments

• FDEB52B7-A6BA-482E-8294-614F1BC3002E.jpeg
    FDEB52B7-A6BA-482E-8294-614F1BC3002E.jpeg
    682 KB · Views: 18
There was a company around here selling 1/2 and 3/4 plate for construction on the road. I don't remember the exact price, but it was cheap. I had no way of getting them home ...
That’s part of issue, thick metal near by at a cost that makes sense. I just found some 3/4” plate steel 4’x4’ but it’s almost 200 miles away. I’d spend just as much for that piece of 3/4” as for this gigantic one by me.
I would buy that plate if you really have your heart set on it. I don't think it's worth much, and that's why he can't sell it... There's just not the demand..
After reading the replies, I already reached out to the guy to let him know I want to buy it and am waiting for him to get back to me. The cheapest scrapyard steel prices by me that I’ve found is at $.70 a pound. He’s selling it for ~$.24 a pound. I guess I’m confused on how it hasn’t been scooped up yet, aside from the pure mass of it. Well, not having known what type of steel probably helped some.

Those casters look like they might be inadequate for that load! IMHO Each caster on a 4 wheel rig should be rated for at least ½ the weight of the load, as on uneven ground the weight could be transferred to only 2 wheels, so 1,000 lbs each. Personally, I'd even want closer to full load rating for each wheel, with that kind of weight.

I fully believed it to be what you said as what you posted seemed pretty logical and I was going to go with that. Yet something just wasn’t sitting right with me. My understanding is that dies normally have to be machined flat and this is more like a pressed finish with flame cut edges. I tried looking before, but hit dead end. I had a bit of down time and went down that rabbit hole of looking and discovered what it’s from. It’s the frame plates from a heat exchanger and was identify as epoxy coated mild steel.
Well ok. I guess I was wrong. I did wonder about the paint. Oh well. Everybody ought to get the chance to see a progressive stamping die in action. Lol

jwma,
no worries. I appreciate your efforts. I watched a few videos on dies and stamping, it’s kinda mesmerizing.

" It’s the frame plates from a heat exchanger "
Now that you mention it....
We had some large heat exchangers in the brewery, plates very similiar. Was a bit exciting to freeze one up and a seal between the plates pop out. Beer or wort, "everywhere" - was flowing at 600+ bbls per hour, lotta liquid!

Those casters look like they might be inadequate for that load! IMHO Each caster on a 4 wheel rig should be rated for at least ½ the weight of the load, as on uneven ground the weight could be transferred to only 2 wheels, so 1,000 lbs each. Personally, I'd even want closer to full load rating for each wheel, with that kind of weight.
I agree with how the casters being underwhelming. It also didn’t look like any of the casters swiveled. I was thinking of removing the casters to save them from a harsh death with being overloaded and have a decent chance at getting it somewhat level. 1,000lb rated casters with locks and swiveling will be something I plan to use. The bench itself is something that I’d want to redo to ensure it’s up to the task of supporting that weight.

Yea the casters gotta go.
I think the frame is fine. The uprights are all that supports it. The connecting between it does nothing for support, it's just sway control, and I think its fine. I'm betting no issues. I would think a heavy duty pallet jack or 2 can move that around, ... just extend some tubing to allow the pallet jack to do the lifting. Maybe one on each end.

I agree with how the casters being underwhelming. It also didn’t look like any of the casters swiveled. I was thinking of removing the casters to save them from a harsh death with being overloaded and have a decent chance at getting it somewhat level. 1,000lb rated casters with locks and swiveling will be something I plan to use. The bench itself is something that I’d want to redo to ensure it’s up to the task of supporting that weight.
Good casters aren't cheap. If it doesn't need to move very often, you use 2 heavy fixed wheels in the center and leveling bolts on the 4 corners. Or, if you dare to be different, set up a receiver at the mid point to accept short stub axles. A pair of old car/trailer tires stabbed in and inflated would lift the table and allow you to reposition it for Free.99!

Back