To buy an overkill Weld/working bench?

You will never see a deal like that again. It is worth it to build a foundation for it in the spring and place it properly... And buying a mag drill and the 3" annular cutters for it sill still make your 'perfect' welding table in the 'super bargain' category...

There was a company around here selling 1/2 and 3/4 plate for construction on the road. I don't remember the exact price, but it was cheap. I had no way of getting them home ...

I would buy that plate if you really have your heart set on it. I don't think it's worth much, and that's why he can't sell it... There's just not the demand.. If someone was interested in it, it's worth what they want to pay, or their desperation and need. Kind of surprised you think it's only 2000lbs. I'm thinking 6-8000 based on the size

Howdy all,
I’m look to gather some outside perspective on a welding/working table I found. I have wanted to buy it the moment I saw it, and that’s part of the problem. I’m seeing things one way due to the super cheap price. The price breakdown is about $.24 a pound for those wondering.
I would really appreciate others thoughts on if I’m asking for a big headache with this thing or tell me I’m nutz if I pass it up. The material of the steel plate is unknown and is way overkill at 2 and 3/4” thick and about 33” wide x 86” long and weighs approximately 2,000lbs. The plate was placed on a metal frame table that supports it fine and is about 3ft tall. I’ll post a picture as well.
Now that you know specs about it, let me explain what my uses are and the place it’ll be going. My main use will be for hobby type use welding/fabrication, assembling stuff, and mounting things like a metal shear, bench vise, and possible a 2x72 belt grinder when it’s done (and indoors). For the time being and probably the next 1-2yrs (hope to build a shop area eventually and having the bench indoors then), the table will be located outside on lightly graveled uneven ground, so once it’s on the ground it will be essentially stationary. The owner will load it in my truck with a forklift and I’ll have no issues hauling it home. Unloading will be a cherry picker and chain kind of thing.
So folks, am I asking for more problems than it’s worth? Is there some serious flaws that I’m not seeing because I’m listing about this hunk of steel ;) With the price of steel, finding another suitable table material like a 1/2” plate is out of the question and doesn’t make sense for the $$ they want for even half a 4x8 sheet. At this price point, I’m struggling to see past this as a cheap supply of steel if nothing else. Thank you in advance to all that provide input, pro or con.
View attachment 463449
+ PRO, + PRO, + PRO, + PRO
That's a steal and a once in a lifetime deal.
You kind of suck a bit :)

. Kind of surprised you think it's only 2000lbs. I'm thinking 6-8000 based on the size
I have a table down here 36" X 96" . 5/8" thick aluminum anodized jig plate on an 3" 80/20 frame . I estimated the weight at 700 bs or so because the Kubota couldn't lift it . Wasnt fun rolling it into the garage but it is in there . I have to agree , I think 2000 lbs is a light estimate . I had a hunk of 2" 304 stainless down here maybe 12" x 16" that needed to be shipped . It was over the limit of FRBs at 93 lbs .

yep, I just ran it through some online calculators, you are right.
Amazing that my surface grinder with all that space and thin castings weighs around 800lbs, and this solid chunk of steel is only 2.75 times more.

That is an overkill welding table, but it is in the range of an acorn table, and you can pound on it. Very desirable for a fabrication shop! It does need a better stand, though.

Back