Titan/Titanic tragedy

well slap my butt and call me silly!

There was just a little couple second piece on the news stating the US Coast Guard found "presumed human remains" in the wreckage of the sub.

a bit more info, but not much:

Again, not to be morbid, but I wonder how much and what the state of the remains is.....

Last edited:
well slap my butt and call me silly!

There was just a little couple second piece on the news stating the US Coast Guard found "presumed human remains" in the wreckage of the sub.

a bit more info, but not much:

Again, not to be morbid, but I wonder how much and what the state of the remains is.....
There should be some DNA left.

Yeah I don't really buy the "flash vapourised" theory all that much.
I get that the compression would produce temperature as high as 2000 degrees but I don't think those temperature would be that high for nearly long enough. Rember fractions of a second after that whatever is being compressed to that temperature is about to be surrounded by really cold water and lots of it.

Water is a great coolant as we all know. So whatever temperature is achieved is not going to be there for very long, say half a second.

I have never operated or been in a crematorium but I am told that those flames which are also at thousands of degrees take a while to consume an entire human body.

I just think that the extreme temperature is just not there long enough to impart enough energy to turn all flesh to ash.

A bit like any aerobatic pilot will tell you minus 3g or more and you will probable die from too much pressure on your brain, but jumping off a stool to the ground probably applies more than - 50g it is just so short that it does nothing to you.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

High temp for how long?

How many BTU are really there?

The energy heats the air rapidly, but now energy is consumed, and the air does not have enough mass to hold and transfer that much to anything else.

Then, the water consumes any remaining energy/heat?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't really buy the "flash vapourised" theory all that much.
I get that the compression would produce temperature as high as 2000 degrees but I don't think those temperature would be that high for nearly long enough. Rember fractions of a second after that whatever is being compressed to that temperature is about to be surrounded by really cold water and lots of it.

Water is a great coolant as we all know. So whatever temperature is achieved is not going to be there for very long, say half a second.

I have never operated or been in a crematorium but I am told that those flames which are also at thousands of degrees take a while to consume an entire human body.

I just think that the extreme temperature is just not there long enough to impart enough energy to turn all flesh to ash.

A bit like any aerobatic pilot will tell you minus 3g or more and you will probable die from too much pressure on your brain, but jumping off a stool to the ground probably applies more than - 50g it is just so short that it does nothing to you.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Believe what you want. I've seen the results of a flash fire on an aircraft that lasts fractions of a second as it blows through the cabin. No one gets out without horrible, serious burn injuries.

Complete ash? No.

Horrible, life threatening injury (and sometimes fatal, usually massive lung damage) in less than a second? You betcha. Feel free to stand in a flash fireball in a confined space and see what happens if you don't believe it.

Now, for the sub occupants? Irrelevant. The air pocket compression wave is what is the real cause of death. They were dead before any temp rise of significance would hit them so the "flash burn/compression heating" phenomenon is merely a discussion topic of curiosity....

Can't use G loading as an example regarding injuries. It's hypoxia (ie: lack of oxygenated blood to the brain) that kills you in sustained G's, not the g-load.

Instantaneous G loads can also produce hypoxia. You pull around 20G's on an ejection which lasts a fraction of a second and no one can maintain consciousness.

No. One. Period.

G loading is also not as straight forward as a simple set of numbers. Many other factors are involved such as deceleration distance, height of fall, etc.

The G-load again produces hypoxia, which is what makes you pass out, and you may still end up with a broken bone here and there.

Believe what you will. I will rely on the science involved and my personal experiences/observations.

This is going off on a tangent now (ie: compression heat, g loading, etc) some I'm done commenting on the "heating" subject.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I have difficulty getting my arms around this too. I understand that temperature is directly proportional to pressure - per Gay-Lussac's Law. But like TQ60, I have trouble appreciating that there is enough thermal mass in a volume of air to significantly heat solid objects that have much greater thermal mass.

I know that scuba tanks get hot during refilling and they are usually placed in a water bath. And I know that a rattle can of paint gets cold as it is used. So it seems that the answer is yes, there is enough energy in a volume of gas to significantly heat /cool a solid body.

Back