This Really Has To Stop.....i'll Be Broke Sooner Than Later.

I retired July 2014. I then got the bug to do woodworking, and has a couple of tools. I started acquiring tools, Craigslist was very good to me, some new, some used. This year I decided to add metal working to the mix. My new lathe came this past Monday, a Grizzly G0752 10" x 22". I'm getting an order ready for tooling and holders, etc. Still eyeing up a mill, probably the Grizzly G0704. Then I'll have to buy tools for it.

On the plus side, I only need a thickness planer for the woodworking side and I'll be good to go there. Now to find space to put it all. The dust collection for wood is the biggest pain. I have 2 - 2 car garages; one attached and one in the back yard. I'd still like to put a shed in for all of the lawn stuff and storage. Then I think I would use the back garage for both shop setups.

My wife said she thinks I like accumulating tools, rather than working with them. She may have a point.

Just hope when you die your wife does not sell your tools for what you told her you paid for them.

Reviving old thread - I searched for "Enco addiction" and landed here. I got bit at Christmas - Santa brought me a 6" Vertex rotary table. I've been bit with this bug before - 1993 community college - classitis. I was addicted to the hope of success, not the results. I dropped a few before realizing signing up != passing and actually learning.

Same bug bit me 10 years ago when I changed careers into programming. Books - lots of books. But did I read them all? No.. So wife kept asking me "are you even reading all those books??" She helped me focus, so I selected a few good books and resolved to buy AFTER I read those books. Well reading led to coding led to a couple more purchases, else it stopped cause I've yet to finish those books.

Machining - I used a Bridgeport a few times at my old job (Sun Microsystems) and ever since then craved for that XY table ability. Got drill press + cheap XY but that did not satiate me.
So finally got a micro mill a few months back. I've already wanted a larger machine - and wife is ok - after we buy a house.

So over this last Christmas - I discovered Enco. Oh... the shiny search and O1 steel, endcutters and tooling. Now wife and I have an agreement - we get an allowance, overages must be approved. So this keeps me in check and Craigslisting ( and its fun too ). Else I've gotten a few "allowance advances" for odds and ends.

The only fix I have for wanting tooling is actually using it. But then I am back looking ... "I need a ________". Oh and instead of lusting at Enco last night, I spend time reading my recently acquired 1967 Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers. I find actually using my tools and making no money at this is a good reminder "it's a hobby". But sure is fun.

My brother has been bit, but the poison has not yet taken effect. I give it a few months.

and since getting the micromill, I have a caliper on my desk or nightstand.

It never ends. Every time I put something in the mill or in the lathe I find I don't have the right tool & have to make the tool first only to find I need to make/buy a tool to make it. Wife is pretty understanding most of the time.

Gnerdalot- I like your use of code terminology and syntax in your post!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...So over this last Christmas - I discovered Enco...

Key piece of knowledge about Enco... they have a 20% off sale about every other week. 20% + free shipping about every 6 weeks (25% about twice a year). So if you need something, put it in the cart and wait for a week or so...

Unless I need a tool right this moment, I generally wait for something to show up in their sales catalog, and then wait for the coupon. You can save some serious bucks that way.

I might have room for a Motorcycle, don't know much about them though...Almost got one once the guy wanted 300 for it it was laverta yoga or something like that ...it was orange ugly as hell
Aw lawdy!

A Laverda Jota for 300 bucks!

I'd fall all over myself to stuff three bills in the guys hands and get the hell out of there before he changed his mind....

I wrote a note on this thread when it first came up....I have bad news. It never goes away! I still can't tell you (because I don't even try to keep track anymore) what I bought last week. I can tell you that I did make a $300 precision gyroscope for my grand daughter for less than $50. What's it all really worth, well the wife is pretty happy right now about the gifts!

Back