This Really Has To Stop.....i'll Be Broke Sooner Than Later.

I'm a noob here - but it feels like home already! I just keep telling myself it's (tool gathering) not a problem - it's a hobby. It's cheaper than travel, occasionally produces something useful, and keeps me off the streets :)

John

"The difference between the man who"can", and the man who "can't is tools"
When someone asks "how'd you do that in amazement of something you've done. Reply. "Manual dexterity and applied knowledge".

"The difference between the man who"can", and the man who "can't is tools"
When someone asks "how'd you do that in amazement of something you've done. Reply. "Manual dexterity and applied knowledge".

Definitely 'Knowledge' & experience. I have always enjoyed discovering a different way of performing a task with limited tools and/or equipment.

I enjoy making tools. I can't afford to buy many. Seems every time I go to make a tool I have to make a tool to make it. I do but some cheap tools to use for parts to make what I want. Kinda like a parts kit. :)

If I were in the military(grew up in the Coast Guard),they would certainly give me a dishonorable discharge after seeing what it cost to move ME!!!!:)

Glad I retired before getting into some of this stuff, I would not be able to afford to move, the military, now charge you as much if not more than a moving company if you exceed your weight allowance. My garage would almost do that by it self.

Soooooooo.

In the last 3 days I have bought

Edge finder
Center finder
Parallels
Mahr test indicator (used)
Indicol
Couple of different arbors
2" travel indicator
Enco (French made) Boring head (used)
115 pc cobalt Cleveland twist drill set

That's all?

Last weekend I bought pretty much an entire machine shop from a old tool and die maker who is headed into a nursing home... I got a Logan Lathe, KO Lee Tool and Cutter Grinder, Walker Turner drill press, Benchmaster milling machine (vertical and horizontal), 2 tool boxes and literally a ton of tools and tooling. Filled my SUV 3 times. And I already own 3 milling machines, a lathe, 2 drill presses, a shaper, a die grinder, 4 band saws 4 bench grinders, a cutoff saw and a polishing lathe... not to mention a table saw, a jointer, a planer and a wood lathe.

Oh... and you'd better start buying tool boxes. You're gonna need a place to put all those tools you'll be buying.

tls1.jpg.
tls2.jpg.
tls3.jpg.

Ahahaha it has only just begun my friend. Now let me see here in the last year I purchased a....

STOP! Warning, do not read Coolidge's post, because next thing you know, a full on tool-buying war will start.

And Coolidge will have won before you fired an opening salvo...

:D

Although in the last year I purchased a Grizzly 13x40 lathe, Tormach 1100 cnc mill, mill vise, 5C chuck, 5C collets, assorted cutting tools... so I am catching up.

The problem is once you purchase machinery, you realize that all the cool things you want to do just require you to buy one more endmill or insert or reamer.... and than another one...

If I were in the military(grew up in the Coast Guard),they would certainly give me a dishonorable discharge after seeing what it cost to move ME!!!!:)
Nope. They will just charge you the price of moving above your allotted weight.. 12000-17000#. I just retired from the military (hence my tool buying frenzy)... I had to move myself for my last three moves to avoid paying big $$$.

Last edited:
STOP! Warning, do not read Coolidge's post, because next thing you know, a full on tool-buying war will start.

And Coolidge will have won before you fired an opening salvo...

:D

...rotary table and back plate, dividing plates, tailstock, mill power feed, quill stop, cap screw counter bores, corner rounding end mills, 6 flute carbide counter sinks, taps and dies, TIG welder, TIG welder cooler, TIG antifreeze, tungsten, filler rods steel and stainless, quality flow meter, tank of Argon, bench grinder for grinding tungsten...

Back