The Great Screwdriver Discussion of 2024

Thinking about blade screwdrivers with rounded corners, etc. One of the first lessons I got from my father was how to tune up a blade screwdriver on the grinder to make a bit of a hollow grind then hit the tip on an anvil to make a slight burr...this really grips the screw surprisingly well.

then hit the tip on an anvil to make a slight burr...this really grips the screw surprisingly well.
Tell me more! Is this tapping the screwdriver tip down on the anvil?

I bought SnapOn full set early on and they proved to be more than worth it. Expensive, but stood up to daily use as a mechanic. I love and have used the wrench flat on the shank of the drivers many a time and prefer the square handles. There was also the lifetime warranty but it seems it was more at the discretion of the individual dealer. So when so when I broke the tip off on my most beloved Phillips short shank full size handle with no wrench flat and was told I’d abused it and it was not warranted I never bought another tool from them. But bless their hearts and vital organs they replaced two of my SnapOn hammers with plastic handles that were falling apart just a year or two ago.
Back when I was in the auto repair business the vast majority of my tools were Snap-On. The screwdrivers back them had square black composite handles. Over time they would deteriorate and eventually crumble. When they did go bad the Snap-On dealer would just knock them off and press on a new one.

A year or so back I had several handles that had gotten to the point they needed replacement. Since I no longer knew any dealers (I sold the business in the 1980's) I called the company in Kenosha Wisconsin. They said they no longer replace handles due to liability reasons but would send me new replacements. They sent out 6 new screwdrivers with what they referred to as "wide tri lobe design" handles. If you still have the screwdriver that was rejected by the dealer you might give their headquarters a call. They offered to replace the ones I had without any questions or need for photos.

A couple weeks ago I visited a friend's commercial machine shop. It just so happened that the Snap-On dealer arrived when I was there. The owner mentioned I had a number of Snap-On tools. The dealer asked if any needed repair or replacement. I mentioned I had a couple ratchets that could use some new parts. He told me to bring them down the next time I visited, and he would repair them at no charge.

Tell me more! Is this tapping the screwdriver tip down on the anvil?
Yes, you do a bit of a hollow grind at the radius of the grinding wheel on the sides to get the tip thickness to match whatever screw slot you're going for, then tapping the tip down splays out the tip, leaving a little burr protruding on each side. It's subtle but significant.

The dealer asked if any needed repair or replacement. I mentioned I had a couple ratchets that could use some new parts. He told me to bring them down the next time I visited, and he would repair them at no charge.
Yup, it’s all about the dealer. Yours sounds like an good’un. Only one shop in town and I was able to get the SnapOn guy to replace my nice brass hammer because of handle, the other hammer I went straight to SnapOn. My screwdriver handles have held up fine I guess because I use them all the time. The hammers died because I wasn’t using them like I used to I guess. The new handles are wonderful having a grip for short and long. It’s little details like that that make the difference IMHO. They are also bright red. That helps to visually remind not to leave them behind. I have a Klein screwdriver I found on a walk with the tri angle grip. It’s better than crapsman but I still prefer square. I think I’ll try and get that screwdriver replaced as I still reach for it.

Hozan JIS screwdrivers restored my sanity after switching from US to import vehicles for my hobbies and dailys. The right bit makes all the difference!

My dad distributed Klein in the early 80s, so I've been using Klein for a long time. Hard to beat. I also like Xcelite, it's been good to me.

As far as hate goes, I hate those dang flip-flop screwdrivers with the double ended hex drive bits and jiggly handles. Pet peeve! My employers trusted me to turn wrenches from very early on, and I enjoyed training helpers, but the first lesson they would learn is if I was elbow deep and asked for a driver, if one of those things ended up in my hand, it would come flying back at their heads at the speed of light. I have strong hate for those dang things. They need to be melted down and turned into soup cans.

And I have to say welcome to the forum, @Mauzinette, it seems you are right at home here.

I'm a huge Vessel MEGADORA fan. The IMPACTA versions have proven themselves indispensable time and time again.

I also have one of those famous Snap-On ratching screwdrivers, which brings pleasure with each use.

I went ahead and ordered the VESSEL 4500 screwdriver 8-piece set. Thank you for the recommendation.

Back