THAT'S IT!!!! Janitor Accesories for all!!!!

Ordered in a piece of 1/8" SS keystock for a job. Used 1/2 of it. Put the other piece "somewhere safe", You guessed it, cannot find it. Gave up and ordered in another piece, put it in the usual place. The other piece is still hiding, it seems to be able to outsmart Me. If that place is sooooooo safe, maybe I should store other stuff there.

Right after I got out of high school, I worked for a brick mason. He would buy a new shovel and proceed to wrap the handle with a half a roll of duct tape. When I asked him what that was all about, he claimed that nobody wants to steal a broken shovel.....

What a fun thread. What with the unwritten law that "in any workshop every horizontal surface will gather stuff until the angle created by the pile makes the next bit of stuff slip off to the next horizontal surface", and tool pinching gremlins I found that my chuck keys have one place that keeps em safe. I drilled a hole for each in a small ledge behind my lathe and provided I put them back they don't move.
Alas, should I inadvertently put one down anyplace else, you guessed it- gone. Power drill key is clipped to the cable with just enough room to fit it into the chuck.
Beware putting anything in a "Safe" place, that's disastrous. At least in my experience, probably because it's not always the same "Safe" place. Sigh :guilty:

Chuck keys are like the one item I don't have trouble with. I do a lot of audio projects so I'm always getting speakers and taking them apart and putting them together in new configurations. When a speaker doesn't work I cut the magnet off the back and scrap the rest.

Now there is a magnet on the right side of anything with a chuck. I've done that enough that I don't even think about it anymore. They return to that magnet as automatically (force of habit/muscle memory) as if they were on a retracting key string. The magnets are large and strong enough that neither gremlins nor my kids can pry them off.

I wish all my tools had such simple solutions.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

What a fun thread. What with the unwritten law that "in any workshop every horizontal surface will gather stuff until the angle created by the pile makes the next bit of stuff slip off to the next horizontal surface"
Civil engineers have a term, applied to piles of dirt and sand, that would apply equally here - "angle of repose."

Beware putting anything in a "Safe" place, that's disastrous. At least in my experience, probably because it's not always the same "Safe" place. Sigh :guilty:
Hmmmm ... I wonder if I should designate one special place in my shop as "the safe place"????? But would I always use it? Probably not, if it's more than one step away from wherever I was at the time. Gotta think about this!Thinker.jpg

The magnet is a great idea for sure ! Now I'll be roaming the shop looking for my magnet ! lol

The magnet is a great idea for sure ! Now I'll be roaming the shop looking for my magnet ! lol
Just use a good size speaker magnet (for 4" or greater speaker) and it won't wander anywhere.

I suppose you could just go out and buy neodymium magnets. I have some cool 1" cubes that are ridiculously strong. But I'm not one to buy something if I have a perfectly usable and appropriately Shop Chic alternative available. :)

When I worked in Industrial Maintenance, I kept one chuck key of each size in my tool box. I always had the size that I needed if the machine that I was using didn't have one.

Back