Taking the CNC Plunge

No, sorry. Those are 5V inputs from the breakout board. PUL is the pulse input, and DIR is the direction input. Normally you can connect the DIR- and PUL - to the GND terminal on the breakout board. Do not connect to the power supply.

The V+ V- connect to the +V and GND terminals on the drive, the ones right next to the motor connections.

OK. I think I've got it.

photo 12.JPG

I need to run a wire from one of the power supply V+ terminals to the driver VDC terminal and another wire from one of the power supply V- to the driver GND terminal. Correct?

Tom S

There may be a 940 CNC in my future... need to read and learn here... :)

It's been a steep learning curve for me but with help from several forum members I've been able to work through my "issues". My approach has been to take it a step at a time, get that portion of the build completed, then move on to the next step. At the moment I'm working on mounting and wiring limit switches.

Tom S

Made some progress the last few days and got the limit switches mounted.

Here's a shot of the Y axis mount and switch.

20150319_135317.jpg

Here's the X axis. There's another switch actuator on the other end of the table.
20150323_103336.jpg

The is the Z axis.
20150323_103402.jpg

I'm at the point where I need to decide if I'm going with Mach 3 or 4. Been reading and listening and I'm leaning towards Mach 3 for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is the abundance of knowledge and support that is available. Mach 4 being new doesn't yet have much of a user base from what I've read it is in reality still in Beta mode. I can always upgrade later. Secondly the selection of Mach 3 breakout boards, smooth steppers and other related hardware is fairly large and readily available. So it's decision time.

Thanks for looking.

Tom S

It's been a steep learning curve for me but with help from several forum members I've been able to work through my "issues". My approach has been to take it a step at a time, get that portion of the build completed, then move on to the next step. At the moment I'm working on mounting and wiring limit switches.

Tom S
Thanks for the heads up on your build Tom, I like your idea on the roll around tool chest cabinet idea.
I will be shopping for one post haste!!
Congrats on such a nice clean build, I do not have that luxury as I have to use my mill as I convert which is tough with ball screws running manual.
I will be watching as you finish your build.
Bill

Thanks for the heads up on your build Tom, I like your idea on the roll around tool chest cabinet idea.
I will be shopping for one post haste!!
Congrats on such a nice clean build, I do not have that luxury as I have to use my mill as I convert which is tough with ball screws running manual.
I will be watching as you finish your build.
Bill

Thanks for your comments. If you haven't already you might want to take a look at Jumps4's build thread. There's a lot of valuable info there. You'll have to sort through all the postings but in one he has an attachment of most of the motor and ball nut mounts he made. It saved me days of design work.

Lot's of other help available as well. All you have to do is ask and the ideas and suggestions will begin flowing.

Tom S

Made some progress the last few days and got the limit switches mounted.

Here's a shot of the Y axis mount and switch.

View attachment 98265

Here's the X axis. There's another switch actuator on the other end of the table.
View attachment 98266

The is the Z axis.
View attachment 98269

I'm at the point where I need to decide if I'm going with Mach 3 or 4. Been reading and listening and I'm leaning towards Mach 3 for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is the abundance of knowledge and support that is available. Mach 4 being new doesn't yet have much of a user base from what I've read it is in reality still in Beta mode. I can always upgrade later. Secondly the selection of Mach 3 breakout boards, smooth steppers and other related hardware is fairly large and readily available. So it's decision time.

Thanks for looking.

Tom S

I will be reading to hear your decision and why... I may be learning CNC in a year or so.
THX in advance for whatever you post!

I will be reading to hear your decision and why... I may be learning CNC in a year or so.
THX in advance for whatever you post!

I'm going with Mach 3. It was difficult for me to ignore the large Mach 3 following. I'll need the support when I get to the configuration stage.

Tom S

Back