Taking the CNC Plunge

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, I've done it now! I ordered a PM-932M for a CNC conversion. Thank you Ray C. for working with me during the sales process. I've been in the machining business my entire career so I've got the background in manual machining but have no experience with CNC. The learning curve will be with the electronics, associated software, and CAD. Been reading about conversions and I've decided to approach it in the same manner as jumps4 (Steve) did with his conversion, e.g. direct drive, 1600 oz in motors for X and Y, 4200 oz in motor for Z, one shot lube system, and Chinese control/drive electronics. I'm going to start with the mechanical conversion phase first and save the electronics for last. My thought is that the control side will be fresh in my mind when it comes time to start up and trouble shoot. Of course I'm going to lean on all of you for your insight as I move through the conversion. It will be challenging but I'm up for it. Can't wait to get started.
:rubbinghands:

Tom S

Somewhere on here another member did a great job on a cnc 932 conversion. I think it was jbolt but I couldn't find it. Maybe somebody has the link to the thread. Please keep us updated as you proceed.
Dave

Somewhere on here another member did a great job on a cnc 932 conversion. I think it was jbolt but I couldn't find it. Maybe somebody has the link to the thread. Please keep us updated as you proceed.
Dave

Just found the thread you mentioned. It's in the CNC in the Home Shop forum. You are correct it was jbolt.

Tom S

1st- All the best! you'll manage just fine. I went from zip to 110mph and it's all good! Never stop learning and taking new journeys! Congrats on that.
Mind if I ask what package constitutes the Chinese control / drive eletronics? Just curious - So many use the G540 3 or 4 axis w/ Mach3. But I'm new as well, so was curious what type of package for the Mill you were looking upon. And will it be Mach3 driven w/ Windows or Linux? Dare I ask Mack4? ;-)

1st- All the best! you'll manage just fine. I went from zip to 110mph and it's all good! Never stop learning and taking new journeys! Congrats on that.
Mind if I ask what package constitutes the Chinese control / drive eletronics? Just curious - So many use the G540 3 or 4 axis w/ Mach3. But I'm new as well, so was curious what type of package for the Mill you were looking upon. And will it be Mach3 driven w/ Windows or Linux? Dare I ask Mack4? ;-)

The electronics package I'm looking at is an Ebay item - 3 Axis CNC 1600 OZ-IN & 4200 OZ-IN Spindle Stepper Motor 3D Printer 110BYGH201-001 sold by Wantai Motors. Comes with the following:
2 PCS Nema 34 Stepper Motor with Single shaft 1600 oz-in holding torque,
1 PC Nema 42 Stepper Motor with Single shaft 3256 oz-in Holding torque,
2 PCS Stepper Driver DQ860MA with 7.8A replacing MD882,
1 PC Stepper Driver DQ2272 With 8.0A Peak current, 7.0A rated current, 110-220 VAC, 200 Microstep,
2 PCS Power Supply for 350w, 60 VDC, 5.9A,
1PCBreakout Board,
1 PC DB25 Cable

What do you think? Again, I'm not electric/electronic literate but anxious to learn.

I'm planning on a Windows 7 platform running Mach 3. Could be Mach 4 but I need to find out what the differences are before making a decision.

Thanks for your interest.

Tom S

Looks like it would work. Their specifications don't seem the match the title, but that is just the ad copy I suppose, not being too careful with the wording.

Sounds like a fun project. I wasn't too impressed with Mach 3, but I was trying to use it on a high speed industrial router. It did seem to work for slower speed applications. It will be interesting to see how Mach 4 performs if it ever gets released.

You might search the other posts on this forum to see what some of the other folks have done. The good news is that you came to the right place, there is always someone willing to answer your questions.

Looks like it would work. Their specifications don't seem the match the title, but that is just the ad copy I suppose, not being too careful with the wording.

Sounds like a fun project. I wasn't too impressed with Mach 3, but I was trying to use it on a high speed industrial router. It did seem to work for slower speed applications. It will be interesting to see how Mach 4 performs if it ever gets released.

You might search the other posts on this forum to see what some of the other folks have done. The good news is that you came to the right place, there is always someone willing to answer your questions.

Thanks Jim. The electronics are all new to me. I'm sure I'll have lot's of questions.

Tom S

My mill arrived today!!! Spent the better half of the day uncrating and cleaning. Once I get it on the stand I'll do a run in on the headstock gears and check out the other systems to make sure everything works. But wouldn't you know it, the local Harbor Freight is out of stock on 2 ton engine lifts. Will have to wait until Monday for the next shipment. First step in the CNC conversion will be installation of a one-shot lube system. Here's a few pieces of eye candy for your viewing pleasure.

Tom S

photo 11.jpgphoto 12.jpgphoto 13.jpgphoto 14.jpgphoto 5.jpg

photo 11.jpg photo 12.jpg photo 13.jpg photo 14.jpg photo 5.jpg

My mill arrived today!!! Spent the better half of the day uncrating and cleaning. Once I get it on the stand I'll do a run in on the headstock gears and check out the other systems to make sure everything works. But wouldn't you know it, the local Harbor Freight is out of stock on 2 ton engine lifts. Will have to wait until Monday for the next shipment. First step in the CNC conversion will be installation of a one-shot lube system. Here's a few pieces of eye candy for your viewing pleasure.

Tom S

View attachment 82332View attachment 82333View attachment 82334View attachment 82335View attachment 82336

Does yours have the power down feed and 3PH motor?

Was looking at the pics... the X drive unit is obvious... what is that black drive unit in the wood box at the back of the column?
THX

Back