Swedish Mauser

I use Accurate 2495 and a 150 gn. Had a buddy messed his gun up shooting commercial loads so I just do not do it. Had another buddy with one that he changed out the orifice in to allow him to shoot the heavier loads.
Best to be safe. Not getting any younger and parts are getting expensive

@mac1911, where are you finding such cheap projectiles? The price of rifle projos is stupid right now. Bullets I used to buy for $20 are now $65/100 and it's chapping my hiney. Pistol is still a non-issue, they're staying affordable, but rifle is ridiculous. Even cheap Hdy 20 cal is $23 a box. 30 cal and 6mm are double.
I look around for sales and close outs , blems ect. Last batch was 125 gn TNT 3000 mid summer last year. Shipped they where .18 each
SPS had a ok sale just before xmass picked up 1000 6.5 140 gn for .24 each shipped

I will admit I dont buy very often and I stocked deep back in 2018 but will pick up a few thousand here and there if a decent deal comes up.

When things get real stupid I just switch to cast loads. 98% of my shooting is at 200 yards or less. Get out to 600 just a few times a year if im lucky.

Last edited:
@mac1911, where are you finding such cheap projectiles? The price of rifle projos is stupid right now. Bullets I used to buy for $20 are now $65/100 and it's chapping my hiney. Pistol is still a non-issue, they're staying affordable, but rifle is ridiculous. Even cheap Hdy 20 cal is $23 a box. 30 cal and 6mm are double.
You need to walk (haunt) vendor row at Camp Perry during the United States National Rifle and Pistol Matches......lots of vendors, lots of deals (if you know where to look)

Are you making it to 1000? What are you loading? I shot F/TR with a 24" 308 that took some spooky loads to make it to target, so it became a 600 yard gun. Switched to 6BR for metallic sight prone and never looked back.

I bought three sleeves (15k) of primers last year or two, still 12 cents each in volume with shipping and hazmat. Things have settled down a litte, but after covid was nuts.
I haven't made 1000 yet, it is the goal for the .308 that I am building, the .308 Remington that I have will not make it, it is good out to 400 past that it has issues, likely has to do with the ammo, I am working on that as well. I have an old 8mm that I have shot to 500 but that is my max thus far with my personal guns. I have a buddy that has a Barret .50 and a Benelli .338 and I made 1000 with the .338, I was not interested in firing the .50.

At long range, when the bullet velocity drops close to the supersonic boundary it destabilizes and suddenly tumbles end over end. You can hear it happen in the target pits. The 308 is a big bullet, and is in the midrange as far as velocity goes. You need to get as close as you can to 2700 muzzle fps out of it, and there's barely enough space in the case for enough powder. That's where barrel length makes up for it. Every inch of barrel can gain 25-50 fps depending on the variables. Depending on your blank, you might only get 26", but that's a boost. It's still comfortable for a traditional stocked rifle and not unwieldy. Metallic sights need the sight radius anyway, so 30" is standard fare for long range. Those can be hard to transport, I need to strap my match rifle to the car's roof like a kayak. Small calibers with heavy bullets tend to have range advantages due to higher chamber pressure limits, velocity, and high BC from long projectiles. It allows you to find an accurate load instead of pushing your maximum in order to carry at least 1200 fps through the target.

Anyway, I love a good hijack. Have fun with it, learn stuff, and enjoy sinking the time in- that's what it's all about.

Not at all. Turkish Mausers are a mix of large barrel breach thread sizes some where around the size of a Mauser 98, large ring Mausers. Swedish Mausers have a smaller breach barrel thread... Small ring Mauser 96. It is probably a cheap Turkish Mauser with a cheap Midway USA Mauser barrel in 6.5 x 55 on it.

Mauser 96 actions are top end for metallurgy. Turks used cheap crap steel. I would pass. It sounds like it has ZERO collector value.

I paid $79 for my Mosin Nagant back in the day... it never thrilled me that much. M91/30's are strong, known for usually being pretty accurate fool proof battle rifles. They were designed for cheap, fast mass production. The small ring Swedish 96 Mausers are fit and finished much nicer than the Mosin Nagants. Many collectors love Mosin Nagants, I am just not one of them. A Mosin collector will know all the different variations from different countries, different arsenals and associated values... I am not that guy.

P.S. I paid $50 for a pair (2) Turkish Mausers. That is $50 total for 2. I had considered rebarreling one of my Turks in 6.5x55 when Midway USA was selling large ring Mauser barrels, threaded and short chambered for $100. The Turks used slightly different barrel threads in their Mausers over the years. They even used the same diameter threads with slightly different TPI so you could screw 12 TPI barrel into a 11 TPI Turkish Mauser action with excessive force compromising the strength of the Turkish action.
Most Turkish Mauser's I have had, All were Large Ring M98 Actions with small ring threads, So it's quite possible it has an old M96 Swede barrel attached, Could be one of the Aftermarket barrels too.

I guess the best thing to do is give it a good look and see what he has. Never know. He has a couple 6.5 creedmore guns as well that I may look at. Again, thanks to everyone here. I’ve been reading what you guys are talking about with loading as well. Information overload,lol

I guess the best thing to do is give it a good look and see what he has. Never know. He has a couple 6.5 creedmore guns as well that I may look at. Again, thanks to everyone here. I’ve been reading what you guys are talking about with loading as well. Information overload,lol
End use is key, I will by almost any surplus service rifle if the price is right. I dont mind a little rust or not “correct” as far as collecting goes.

I got flak for putting a 7.62 chambered barrel on my 98k. The 8mm barrel was a sewer pipe. Came across some Israeli 7.62 NATO brrels for 98k When they re barreled their stock pile to 762 NATO . Mine was a Russian captured non matching specimen so going to 7.62 was fine by me as its in line with the “history” of the rifles and its in its “original” configuration. Only change was the chamber.

Swede is a nice rifle, although very long and that front sight seems miles away if your struggle seeing your sights lol

Of I where to suggest a great bolt action rifle for cool factor and shooting it would be the Swiss K 31

Next a nice 1903a3 with. C stock

If money was not a obstacle and felt like the guns your looking at I might make a bulk offer for everything lol
My buying days are long gone.

As for Ammunition and Reloding
Really depends how many rounds your really using.
I like to reload so its not even a money thing. Just like to load what I want when I want and what I need
Plus I compete in cmp games with all the service rifles so reloading is how I can afford to play that game.

Back