Still shopping around for a mill, what are the opinions on Wells-Index?

Time to figure out how I'm going to unload it. I didn't bother to lower the vertical head before transporting for a couple of reasons. One, I was tired and wanted to get going on the trip back home. Two, I didn't have any good information on the proper way to do without hurting it or myself. I also figured that with the horizontal motor on the back they kind of balanced each other out. Right or wrong, it worked. I didn't even have to tighten the straps on the way home so I know it didn't move.

I'm planning on taking the vertical head off before attempting to get it off the trailer. I have to take it off to get it through the garage door anyway. :p

That sure looks like a "military" stencil on there...

Here's the serial number plate. Doesn't really give any useful info other than which oils it prefers.

It did come with some collets and other misc. stuff.

Getting this thing off of here and through my little garage door is going to be a neat trick. I'll work on a plan as soon as my brain starts functioning again (looong drive last night). I have to figure out where to move some things that are already in the shop, like a big 16" shaper, to try and make room for this beast. :thinking:

-Ron

That thing is a monster, a handsome monster though:drool: That thing don't make chips, it makes chunks:lmao:
Congrats and keep us updated on the unload/setup & first run.

That thing is a monster, a handsome monster though:drool: That thing don't make chips, it makes chunks:lmao:
Congrats and keep us updated on the unload/setup & first run.

Thanks Charlie. From the guy the just bought not one but two Bridgeports, I take that as a real compliment. :biggrin: I'll certainly keep everyone apprised as to how I proceed from here, it should be fine entertainment. :rolleyes: :lmao:

The next thing is to figure out how to strap up the vertical head so it doesn't do some kind of somersault and crash to the ground when I put the crane on it and unbolt it. :bitingnails:

-Ron

You should start a new thread appropriately named for this mill and updates. It really deserves it's own thread:high5::drink::tiphat: and will draw more attention. Either way I'm hooked now.

Congratulations on the Wells Index! I've got a CNC 700 that I converted to PC use with Mach 3. The people at Wells Index are great to work with. They really back their machines and their customers. Enjoy! BTW that mill will weigh plenty.....be ready. Built like a tank, but weighs like one too.

Congratulations on the Wells Index! I've got a CNC 700 that I converted to PC use with Mach 3. The people at Wells Index are great to work with. They really back their machines and their customers. Enjoy! BTW that mill will weigh plenty.....be ready. Built like a tank, but weighs like one too.

Thanks. I have been slowly getting it "up to par". I have replaced the "X" power feed and the air pressure regulator/oiler for the power draw bar. I've been using it for small jobs but for the more complex and higher accuracy type stuff is still waiting on me getting a new DRO for it. I, without a doubt, love the machine though. My first "big" project on it is going to be finishing up the arbor support for horizontal milling. That should be "interesting" at the very least.

-Ron

wells-lamont co. take very good care of there clintelle & are very knoweldgeable about other vertical milling machines. I talked & alot about my 1940-or1939 round ram bridgeport. There are not alot of round ram mills left out trere.

Does that 1/2-ton pull a car OK? The mill weighs about what a small car does. It's all probably well within the towing capacity of that small pickup.

Re: i'm also in the quest for a Wells-Index mill and i found one.

hey Scrap Metal, that's a sharp looking wells index mill. i'm going to rent a pickup, likely it'll take a 3/4 ton because i'm going over 500 miles to pick it up with my dual axle car trailer. my dodge full size pickup has a v-6 with a six speed manual trans, and i know that there's a good chance i'd fry the clutch if i were to pull it with the wells index strapped to my trailer. i may end up getting to the mill and removing the boom/ram and head and haul that in the bed of my pickup. that should make the knee, table and base at around 1200 lbs i'd think. do you think i'd be better off renting a 3/4 ton or one ton to pull my trailer? the only thing wrong with the mill is that the quill feed gear is screwed up. that should be a pretty simple fix, and parts are available. i'll have the ram and head off the pedestal anyway. ideas,thoughts,or suggestions anyone???

I drag lots of big machines, in a 1200lb trailer with my 1/4 ton Tacoma. Does your truck have a "Low" setting for tough starts uphill?

Bernie

Back