Still shopping around for a mill, what are the opinions on Wells-Index?

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
Specifically the model 860 C - "Coverts from a vertical to a horizontal mill in less than 5 minutes" http://www.wellsindex.com/ It sounds like that would be perfect. The 847 doesn't look too bad either.

What do you guys think about them?

-Ron

Well-Index is good stuff, some consider them better than a BP.
Wells is still in business and supports their products

Well-Index is good stuff, some consider them better than a BP.
Wells is still in business and supports their products

Yep, all reasons that I started to put them into consideration. I'm really kind of drawn to the vertical/horizontal mill, seems like the "best of both worlds" but I hope to get more info on whether or not they are as useful as they look.

-Ron

Okay, I would really, really like to get a little more input on these. I am really "jones'n" for this 860 but do it's capabilities justify the expense over the 847? Is the 847 more than enough machine?

Here's the 860 info: http://68.227.91.247/machines/860ch.pdf

Then the 847: http://68.227.91.247/machines/847.pdf

I'm depending on some experienced input here (not necessarily with these machines but opinions on capabilities, etc.), so let's hear it.

Thanks,

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
There's all kinds of questions to ask on this subject. What type of work will you be doing ? Is this for business or a hobby ? Are finances a large consideration. With some extra effort you can do anything on a vertical that you'd do on a horizontal and vice versa. You also could spend the extra for a DRO on the vertical. If you get the Horiz/Vert combo you're gonna need more tools, but again that depends on the type of work you're gonna be doing. If this is for a shop where there's more than one person then you need to consider separate machines possibly. My self I would go for the vertical alone unless money was not a big consideration. One thing to consider and it's only my opinion is the knucklehead is not as strong as the fixed head but folks have done wonders with knucklehead so it's up to you. Horizontals are pretty much production machines unless it's the only one you got!
Hope I didn't confuse the issue
dickr

Get the 860!!!!

Ever since I laid eyes on a new one back in 1980, I've wanted one. I have a 645 Index mill, but there is times I wish I had that horizontal spindle for heavy milling.

There's all kinds of questions to ask on this subject. What type of work will you be doing ? Is this for business or a hobby ? Are finances a large consideration. With some extra effort you can do anything on a vertical that you'd do on a horizontal and vice versa. You also could spend the extra for a DRO on the vertical. If you get the Horiz/Vert combo you're gonna need more tools, but again that depends on the type of work you're gonna be doing. If this is for a shop where there's more than one person then you need to consider separate machines possibly. My self I would go for the vertical alone unless money was not a big consideration. One thing to consider and it's only my opinion is the knucklehead is not as strong as the fixed head but folks have done wonders with knucklehead so it's up to you. Horizontals are pretty much production machines unless it's the only one you got!
Hope I didn't confuse the issue
dickr

Good questions all. I don't KNOW what kind of work I'll be doing. I have some things in mind but plans/directions are subject to change. It'll be more of a hobby but some things I do may have business application though I don't ever plan to go in to production with anything, more of an R & D. Right now I can think of a couple of things that the horizontal would excel at. The future? Unknown. Finances aren't much of an issue (It's more a matter of whether my wife gives me "the look" or "THE look" :rolleyes: :)) It'll be a one man operation. I don't even know anyone locally that does machining. Just hope my son will be interested as he gets older.

847 with a good set of readouts..

Anything more specific as to why? I'm sure the 847 is a capable machine but I need all the input I can get before I'm willing to pry open the old wallet.

Get the 860!!!!

Ever since I laid eyes on a new one back in 1980, I've wanted one. I have a 645 Index mill, but there is times I wish I had that horizontal spindle for heavy milling.

Unfortunately, that is my gut instinct as well. :thumbzup: I'm really trying to approach this in a manner that, shall we say, (or my wife says :rolleyes:) is more appropriate for my age. :biggrin:

I really tend towards a machine that I perceive to have more flexibility and capabilities. What I really don't know, in this case, is if I am losing something or making a compromise that wouldn't be in my best interests as Dick brought up with the knuckleheads possibly being less rigid. That's where it would be great to have input from those who have actually worked with such machine (this model would be too much to hope for). I, like all of us, would like to get the best, most accurate machine I can even if my skills aren't up to the machine. I can always grow my skills. At least I would hope so. :p

I did tell my wife last night that I was looking at spending a considerable amount of money for a mill. She's tighter with money than I am but she'd never begrudge me a new "toy" that I was really set on getting. She's truly a treasure.

-Ron

Okay, I decided I would like to get the 860 if I can find the right machine, price, etc. Most likely have to ship it. At the moment I can only find two of them for sale on the 'net. The one on the 'bay has some issues...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7429-WELLS-...392?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414f1f0d90

The one from Norman machine looks to be in better shape and sounds like it all works but it's also twice the price...

http://www.normanmachinetool.com/used_product_desc.php?pid=753&prod=MILL_WELLS_INDEX_

Any opinions on the prices/values of these two machines?

Thanks,

-Ron

About 1980 I worked as a in house machinist for a large printing company ..
Had installed a machine shop and bought a Excello 602 mill ..A great mill,
I like the Excello because it had a quill travel a little bit more then 6"..Great for the jobs that I was doing..
When I started my busisness I wanted to buy a new Excello..but they stop making them.
I searched the local iron mongers and came across the Wells-Index at Norman Machine Tool in Baltimore, Md.
The sales person said that the quill traveled 6-1/2 "
So I bought it.
I had to wait almost 8 months for three phase power for my home shop before I unwrapped it and started to run it.
I found that the dealer was mistake in the quill travel...5" like a Bridgeport..
Very disappointing.
I had a OPPS the first week that I ran it..The feed trip /quill stop is a quick release sliding stop with a brass thumb screw to lock the stop from moving.
A poor design..
Have a 2'' dia. gouge .015 deep in the table because of it.I have to cover it up a folded shop rag looking at...it upsets me so.
Overall ....the Well-Index held up very well.
A one man shop no real production.
32 years and you can still see the scrapings on the ways (having way covers)

Not much out there for "New" good machines.
Wells-Index ---Made in America !---

Robbie
Robbie's Machine Service

Back