Still shopping around for a mill, what are the opinions on Wells-Index?

Well, mistake or not (hopefully "not" :eek:) I just purchased a machine that was listed on e-bay. It has a couple of issues that will need to be taken care of but still didn't seem to be too bad of deal.

It's a Wells-Index 860 "universal" type mill.

Now comes the fun part - trying to get it "home". :p The folks I bought it from are supposed to get me some shipping quotes. If they come in about where they estimated I'll have it shipped. If not, I'll drive the 12 hours or so to pick it up myself. The most interesting part will be the unloading. If it's shipped I'll have to find a way to coordinate the delivery time with the rental of something to unload with. I keep telling the wife that I NEED my own forklift. :biggrin: She just doesn't see it that way. :rolleyes::biggrin:

This should be interesting,

-Ron

Funny Ron-----my wife keeps trying to talk me into buying a forklift. When I finally get a mill I think I will have a tow truck pick it up and I will drive the trailer out from under it. Then let him set it on the ground and I will move it into the shop with a Railroad bar and some pipe.

That's sort of what I did with my shaper. Instead of the tow truck I went and rented a forklift, used it to lift the shaper in the bed of my truck and then drove out from under it. The forklift wouldn't fit in to the garage door though so I had to set it down just inside the entrance. It still sits there but I've since picked up a foldable 2-ton hoist that, along with a large pry bar (and maybe some pipe), will be the method of re-location. :thinking: Gotta move it to fit the mill in. :biggrin:

Anyway... It was a very cool forklift, ran on propane even. I may be seeing it again in the near future. A lot depends on the delivery guys, if delivered.

-Ron

I did take a peak to see if you where heading out my way but I see it's in Mi.-------:biggrin:

Ron what is the taper on it, Looks like a NMTB 30 or 40.:thinking: If it was a 50 I could help you out with some tooling.

Paul

Much appreciated Paul. I won't know for sure until I get it but when I questioned them about it, the answer I got was, "I think it's a standard 30 or 40 taper". Judging from his demeanor I'm translating that as "I'm not sure what it has."

Right now I don't know how long it will be before I get my grubby paws on it. :bitingnails: Hopefully I'll get a better idea of that in the next couple of days. Once I do have it, then the questions and pictures as well as pleas for help will be posted in torrents. :biggrin:

It may be even longer before I get it powered up though as it's a 3-phase 440v setup. What I currently have is single phase and 220v. Something definitely has to change. (I will be posting in the "Powering Up" section. :p)

Thanks,

-Ron

Paul,
you saying you have some surplus 50 tooling?

Ron
Nice looking piece of equipment you purchased.
And you wifey let this go down, and she didnt even give you the (LOOK):whistle:

You must have a women that understands your addictions Ron.
When my old lady give me the (LOOK),,,,I swear it could cut slap through tool steel!:lmao::lmao::lmao:
You Know the Look! Like what the hell are you thinking :*****slap:
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Congrats on the new purchase, and thanks for getting that file for me the other day too. ;)

Unloading should be easy. I used to have a forklift, but got rid of it a few yrs ago. I have moved mills a few times, and just call your local towing company. You will need the type with a extendable boom. The recovery, and accident chasers have that type of truck. Fast and easy job for them to pick it up off a truck or trailer, and set it down close to the gararge door for you.
I had my mill lifted off the back of the truck, and the guy was able to set the mill down just inside the shop door. From there, I had some 3/8 od round stock, and a few bars to roll it to its resting place.

Ron
Nice looking piece of equipment you purchased.
And you wifey let this go down, and she didnt even give you the (LOOK):whistle:

You must have a women that understands your addictions Ron.
When my old lady give me the (LOOK),,,,I swear it could cut slap through tool steel!:lmao::lmao::lmao:
You Know the Look! Like what the hell are you thinking :*****slap:
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Congrats on the new purchase, and thanks for getting that file for me the other day too. ;)

Unloading should be easy. I used to have a forklift, but got rid of it a few yrs ago. I have moved mills a few times, and just call your local towing company. You will need the type with a extendable boom. The recovery, and accident chasers have that type of truck. Fast and easy job for them to pick it up off a truck or trailer, and set it down close to the gararge door for you.
I had my mill lifted off the back of the truck, and the guy was able to set the mill down just inside the shop door. From there, I had some 3/8 od round stock, and a few bars to roll it to its resting place.

Don't assume too much there, my wife may have given me the look. I don't know. I told her that I bought the mill from the other room. :p I've been married long enough (20+ yrs) to know a few tricks. :biggrin: I have to give her plenty of credit though, she might not understand my addiction but she tolerates it fairly well. :)

I'll have to see what kind of wrecker the auto shop next door has, that might be just the ticket.

-Ron

Back