Still shopping around for a mill, what are the opinions on Wells-Index?

Just thought I'd give an update. I was less than impressed with the responses I got from the carriers that gave a quote. I sent them a couple questions and received no response - not a good way to do business IMHO. I did do a little research though and came upon a bit of a quandry. The "preferable" way that they would have shipped it involved a flat trailer/tractor but I can't get one of those in my parking lot or near my shop, it's just too tight. To deal with this they would have had to find a different, smaller delivery type truck. Now, on a flatbed they would not have to crate/pallet the mill it would just be strapped down and it would stay on the truck through the entire route. If they have to use a delivery truck it would require a pallet/crate and it would be loaded/unloaded an unknown number of times in transfers from truck to truck.

I did not want to go that route as there is just too much potential for disaster. So, being unhappy with the carrier anyway and knowing it would be a high risk proposition, I decided to drive up to MI and get it myself. I'm going to see if I can find a flatbed trailer to rent on Saturday so that I can take off Sunday morning.

Yes, I'll have some pics of the good, bad or ugly. :p:biggrin:

-Ron

I would check into a UHaul trailer one way (back) might be a less expensive option if they have something heavy enough, also Uhauls are generally lower to the ground. Just a thought

Good Luck

Thanks guys. I went looking for a trailer today at one of the few rental places available. My "go to" place had the perfect setup, a hydraulic drop deck trailer that could handle up to 2.5 tons, perfect! Now, here's where I made the mistake - I should have lied, with a big lie, lie, lie, lie. :mad: They asked where I was going to take it and I blurted out, "Michigan". They said, "Sorry, we don't let our trailers go more than 150 miles away." So, I'm out of luck there, crap!

Made my way back to the office, grabbed the phone book, about to start dialing when I had an incoming call. Pick it up and my wife says, "Don't get a trailer, don't!" With my normal brilliant and witty repartee I said, "Ummm, okay......".

Turns out she was just on the phone with her brother and he offered me the use of his flatbed trailer. It's a couple hour drive but it's right on the way. It's not ideal (the drop deck sure was) but now that I have a "free" option it'd be difficult to say "no".

So, I have a trailer but unloading is going to be more difficult than I had hoped. Since it's not a rental I do have extra time to unload it so that gives me a couple of different options to try before I call for the forklift rental. I'll consider it a "wash". :biggrin:

-Ron

Ron,

My brother just moved a 9J Gorton mill, which is about as heavy and the same size as the Index 860 mill, a couple of week ago. I loaded it using the over head crane that was availale to us onto a car hauler trailer. We sat it on a couple of land scape timbers they had handy and strapped it down and off they went down the road.
After they go home with it, about a 170 mile trip, they ran lag bolts into the timbers to hold them in place. Took a come a long and pulled it off the trailer down the ramps of the trailer to the garage floor.
The trick to moving a mill is to get the center of gravity as low as you can get. Crank the knee all the way down as far as it will go. Next turn the verticle head upside down, or take it off. Not much you can do for the horzontal spindle. You should be ready to drag it off the trailer. Make sure to bolt a couple of runners (timber) to the base of the mill to control the tilting when it comes off the trailer. Jack up the trailer tounge as high as you can get it and block up the back end of the trailer and choke all of the tires on the trailer and truck/car.
Don't get in any hurry, take your time and work safely!
Good luck!

Benny has a slick way of getting heavy equipment off his trailer. Make sure you set the machine on some cribbing and lag it down. With a winch from the front to keep the machine from running away take the tires off the rear axle and jack the front as high as it will go lowering the rear deck almost to the ground then we used a pallet jack to roll it off the trailer, he also has a piece of 1/2" plate to smooth the transition.

Useful ideas guys. I'll see if I can incorporate those when it's time to unload. I foresee a lot of improvisation in my near future. :biggrin:

-Ron

Do you have an engine hoist or a freind at a shop? I used an engine hoist to load and unload my 3-in-1 and Plasma table. My hoist will lift up to 2 tons so I am pretty sure it will lift all but the heaviest home shop stuff. Like the others have said, get the CG as low as possible and work safe, fingers and toes dont grow back if you make a mistake. Hope this helps and that you get her home and wired in soon. 'Cause we need some new pics of your shop and new goodies.
Bob

Hi guys,

I'm up in Grand Rapids at the moment. Just got in to a hotel room and off the phone to my wife. She likes to keep tabs on me. ;)

I do have a two-ton "crane" and am planning to make use of it. Don't think it will work with the trailer too well though. We'll see when I get back home. Planning to pick it up first thing in the morning.

-Ron

If worse comes to worse, you might consider a partial disassembly to get it into manageable chunks. 4 bolts hold the turret/ram assembly on, and that should lighten the load considerably. Probably not worth removing the entire knee, but the top weighs about 600 lbs (est.) and that should lower the CG even more. An engine crane can handle the unload if you plan it out. Otherwise, on skids and rollers is the way to go, using a couple of come-a-longs to keep things under control

Back