South Bend Heavy 10 restoration

Cuss cuss! How to fix.

So, catching up a bit more here. but I don't know if I will ever get caught up as I just spent 6 hours working on the lathe today....I need to give it a name I think.

After a spell in the electrolysis tank, the rear guard/reservoir on the apron (see pics.) came out looking like $100 dollars. It was all greasy and grimy before. There wasn't a drop of oil in that apron, yet everything was still moving freely. I'm impressed by that. I am also in love with South Bend's lubrication solutions. Are there any other manufacturers that put as much thought into lubrication and how to cleverly get the oil in certain spots?

Back on topic.

Pulled the part out of the electrolysis tank and turned to a buddy of mine to show him how clean it was. Swung around and said, "look at that, it was all greasy before and painted!" and it slipped off the wire I had it hanging from for the process. I was quick enough to stick my foot under it preventing it from going straight to the concrete floor, but it still did not survive completely.

Darn.

It was time to learn how to braze. And starting on a thin piece of cast iron....Oh well. I figured if I couldn't fix it, it wouldnt be the end of the world as the piece wasn't vital, but would just have been nice not to happen in the first place.

Picture time.

Before cleaning.
IMG_20140103_160709.jpg

IMG_20140105_104934.jpg

After cleaning/broken.
IMG_20140106_144033.jpg

I spoke with a local welding supply place. The guy looked at me like I was crazy when I took the part in and showed him what I was trying to fix, and that I've never brazed anything before. "Get out of my way, I'm gonna show YOU how to do it" is what I said to him. Kidding. We decided that Harris Safety-silv 56 flux coated which I already had would be the best bet. Low melting point compared to a bronze rod, and fine for this part as it is low/no stress or wear.

After brazing.
IMG_20140106_161759.jpg

IMG_20140106_161806.jpg

It took a few tries, but I am happy with the results. It's not the prettiest, but it will do. I am also glad to have this experience under my belt.

This project has yielded 2 brazing FIXES so far. The next one which I have not mentioned yet. And it is another part I stupidly broke. Any guesses?

IMG_20140103_160709.jpg IMG_20140105_104934.jpg IMG_20140106_144033.jpg IMG_20140106_161759.jpg IMG_20140106_161806.jpg

Last edited:
Fix # 2

So. I took apart the reversing gear lever. Noticed the brass lever was a tad bit bent to one side. So, goonishly I proceeded to bend it back, ever so slightly to it's proper spot. SNAP!

Broken
IMG_20140111_134512.jpg

Time to get out the torch.
IMG_20140111_141202.jpg

IMG_20140111_141157.jpg

I used Harris Safty-silv 56 again for this. Worked nice. Not perfect as I definitely need more practice.

Finished cleaning and putting back together the reversing gear today after starting on it yesterday, the paint was dry today. Put new felts in. Had to fix the oil tube as the original cap was missing...

Before
IMG_20131229_143355.jpg

After
IMG_20140113_151825.jpg

IMG_20140113_151849.jpg

Oil cap repair.

Chucked up and ready to drill 1/4" diameter 1/4" deep to accept a press on gits.
IMG_20140113_152350.jpg

Drilled
IMG_20140113_153315.jpg

Yeah, that'll work!
IMG_20140113_152401.jpg

Done.
IMG_20140113_153821.jpg

IMG_20140111_134512.jpg IMG_20140111_141202.jpg IMG_20140111_141157.jpg IMG_20131229_143355.jpg IMG_20140113_151825.jpg IMG_20140113_151849.jpg IMG_20140113_153315.jpg IMG_20140113_152401.jpg IMG_20140113_152350.jpg IMG_20140113_153821.jpg

Nice recovery,I would be having panic attacks----kroll

Nice recovery,I would be having panic attacks----kroll

Thanks. Yeah, my heart sank for a moment, but what can you do but pick up the pieces and move forward, literally. HAHA

- - - Updated - - -

What have you guys done as far as painting the inside of the apron on your lathes? Is it advisable to do so? I noticed there seems to be some primer or paint in there after cleaning it up, but can't tell if it's just over spray from the factory. Seems to me that it wouldn't be necessary as you never see it, and it's coated with oil mostly anyway....and the oil could potentially break a coating down? Just want to make sure I don't not paint or at least prime it and regret it.

Thanks. Yeah, my heart sank for a moment, but what can you do but pick up the pieces and move forward, literally. HAHA

- - - Updated - - -

What have you guys done as far as painting the inside of the apron on your lathes? Is it advisable to do so? I noticed there seems to be some primer or paint in there after cleaning it up, but can't tell if it's just over spray from the factory. Seems to me that it wouldn't be necessary as you never see it, and it's coated with oil mostly anyway....and the oil could potentially break a coating down? Just want to make sure I don't not paint or at least prime it and regret it.
I did not paint the inside of mine, I just painted right up to the machined lines and left the insides raw. I figured the oil will protect it well enough. Cast iron seems to have a capalary effect with oil and it just kinda draws it over it's surface it seems, plus the gears and such will fling it about.

My "war board" 1944 Heavy 10 on a cast iron stand had the original grey paint on it when I got it and it had been brush painted! there there were a few brush marks around, was kinda surprised at that.

But anyway, about the inside, in the stand and the spindle casting it was white -white, white - was difficult to tell if was a primer or a paint. The apron did not have paint

Newbie Question?
Is there any shims behind the gears on the reversing asembly? When I got mine the previous owner, had 1 washer behind only 1 of the gears on the gear pair. This didn't seem right, so I removed it. The gears look more in line.
What are your thoughts?

Newbie Question?
Is there any shims behind the gears on the reversing asembly? When I got mine the previous owner, had 1 washer behind only 1 of the gears on the gear pair. This didn't seem right, so I removed it. The gears look more in line.
What are your thoughts?

I'm no expert, but mine didn't have any washers behind any gears. I don't believe there should be any. But it might be worth investigating why the PO did that.....

- - - Updated - - -

I did not paint the inside of mine, I just painted right up to the machined lines and left the insides raw. I figured the oil will protect it well enough. Cast iron seems to have a capalary effect with oil and it just kinda draws it over it's surface it seems, plus the gears and such will fling it about.

That's what I thought. Thanks a bunch W.T.G.

- - - Updated - - -

My "war board" 1944 Heavy 10 on a cast iron stand had the original grey paint on it when I got it and it had been brush painted! there there were a few brush marks around, was kinda surprised at that.

But anyway, about the inside, in the stand and the spindle casting it was white -white, white - was difficult to tell if was a primer or a paint. The apron did not have paint

That's pretty neat about the brush marks. I plan to paint a lot of the lathe by hand with the exception of the bed and a few other parts. Oh yeah, I'm going to spray the stand.....I dunno. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on how they went about tackling spray vs brush on parts.

I bet the left it white so as to easier see inside the dark cavities of the machine. Or at least that's a nice side effect.

Back