South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

I did call about the lathe bed and he said based on an approximate estimate, thru UPS, for about 125 pounds, (guesstimate), would be around $100-$115 to get it to Tampa, Florida. He also said there is a visible wear line on the way but nothing that a fingernail would catch on. Hmmmmmm!
Well, let me know and I can go take a look. Was supposed to be "snowmaggedon" today but it seems to not be panning out. I've got a few things to peruse for myself as well.

Well, let me know and I can go take a look. Was supposed to be "snowmaggedon" today but it seems to not be panning out. I've got a few things to peruse for myself as well.
Still "sitting on the fence post" on buying it. That's another $200 or so added to what I already spent.

Still "sitting on the fence post" on buying it. That's another $200 or so added to what I already spent.
Well, I tell you what. I will take a look at it and let you know how it looks. It has been there at least 6 months and I doubt it will go fast. So if you decide you need it in the future, it will be an option. I need to go and fight the urge to lighten my bank account anyway.

Well, I tell you what. I will take a look at it and let you know how it looks. It has been there at least 6 months and I doubt it will go fast. So if you decide you need it in the future, it will be an option. I need to go and fight the urge to lighten my bank account anyway.
Thanks! I guess I need to look under my cross slide to see if it's got a wear gruve that would be detrimental to mate with a better way than mine is.

If you look closely at the photos of that bed it looks like someone went over it with sandpaper. I wouldn't buy it

Can't be any worse than my way that has about an 1/16" - 1/8" wear lip. Not going to find perfect WWII bed I would suppose.

Was wondering if you had a chance to look at that lathe bed yet? Thanks

If you look closely at the photos of that bed it looks like someone went over it with sandpaper. I wouldn't buy it

It's worse than that... It looks like someone went over it with a file.

If it were me I'd sit tight and use what you've restored. The possibility of getting a bed for $99 in a condition that is sufficiently better than what you have such that it would make a significant difference to your parts is pretty slim.

It's worse than that... It looks like someone went over it with a file.
Well when "MontanaLon" has a chance he said he would go there and check it out for me as he lives close by. Just have to wait and see. Not sure that I really want to put another $200 in my lathe.

Back