South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

How does the lead screw look? If the teeth are sharpened looking it may be tired. How does the gear on the end of the threading dial look? All chewed up?
I didn't think about the threading dial teeth. I'll go have a look. (I'm back) The gear looks very worn to me. Are 3D printed gears any good? I can get the whole 3D printed dial assembly for $28. "OR,"I can buy just the 3D printed gear to replace the one on my metal assembly.

Attachments

• 20200220_195547.jpg
    20200220_195547.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200220_200026.jpg
    20200220_200026.jpg
    971.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200220_200345.jpg
    20200220_200345.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I didn't think about the threading dial teeth. I'll go have a look. (I'm back) The gear looks very worn to me. Are 3D printed gears any good? I can get the whole 3D printed dial assembly for $28. "OR,"I can buy just the 3D printed gear to replace the one on my metal assembly.
Lead screw looks good. My threading dial is for a 10" and looks different than yours in the thread profile. My lathe is 80 years old soooooo hard to tell which is in better shape.

Did you check with Lost Creek on the bed?

No. I got busy this morning and then forgot to call. Thanks for the reminder.

I went ahead and ordered the 3D dial gear to replace mine on the metal housing.

Best way to know if lead screw and cross slide screw are OK is to Take some finish cuts on a piece of round stock. If the cross slide screw threads are worn, your finish cut will show abnormalities- ranging from random changes in ID, to a series of concentric rings periodically inscribed around the work. Sometimes themthreads don’t show obvious signs of wear, but if the finish, or repeatability of DOC for the ID varies, you will want to consider replacing.

Glenn

Found another area where the lead screw is moving .670" between the QCGB housing and lead screw. Gonna have add washer between the two in order to remove the slop. 20200221_090253.jpg

Removed the QCGB and lead screw. Added a thin washer between gear and housing and now the clearance is .005". Big difference!!

I don't know if there was supposed to be a washer between the lead screw drive gear and housing or not cause I can't find a parts breakdown that would show it. Anyway it's it a lot better and when my new dial drive gear arrives it should be working properly. (I hope!)

Last edited:
Lead screw looks good. My threading dial is for a 10" and looks different than yours in the thread profile. My lathe is 80 years old soooooo hard to tell which is in better shape.

Didn't call about shipping as I have decided I'll just use it the way it is. I've got $2350 in this lathe and about another $150 for a lathe bed just not wanting to do. As is I'm pretty sure this lathe will do everything I'll need it to do.

http://www.lostcreekmachine.com/index.htm

Click "Here" under lathe parts, 5th item down. Pictures aren't great but it is fairly local to me so I could take a look at it.
I did call about the lathe bed and he said based on an approximate estimate, thru UPS, for about 125 pounds, (guesstimate), would be around $100-$115 to get it to Tampa, Florida. He also said there is a visible wear line on the way but nothing that a fingernail would catch on. Hmmmmmm!

Back