South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

For future reference:
The OWWM site is a good source for used parts for old American iron.

Seems to work just fine.

Attachments

• 20200229_145323.jpg
    20200229_145323.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200229_145720.jpg
    20200229_145720.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
Ok here's a question coming from dumb and dumber! How hard would it be to grind the lathe bed way to match the existing wear that the way now has? Just a futile exersize for someone with a mental dissability called stupid! LoL Seems like there could be a grinding jig that could be made to fit on top of the way for matching the wear.

It's not hard at all. There are places that do this all the time. Just remember that what you grind off the bed has to be ADDED to the headstock, carriage and tailstock. Search for "machine rebuilders" to find an outfit near you.

Somewhere on Youtube is a video of a guy grinding a large bed with a sled-mounted router and grinding wheel.
There was a lot of discussion of it on PM years ago with many positive comments as to the practicality.
Richard King may remember the video.

Ok here's a question coming from dumb and dumber! How hard would it be to grind the lathe bed way to match the existing wear that the way now has? Just a futile exersize for someone with a mental dissability called stupid! LoL Seems like there could be a grinding jig that could be made to fit on top of the way for matching the wear.
I did this on one of my 9A's, with similar wear to yours and it came out quite well. I made a jig with a compound attached to the tailstock base so it was only as accurate as the tailstock ways which were not too worn. I only did the front v-way for about 2/3 the length of the bed since I never needed to turn anything longer than a few inches. I used a brazed on carbide toolbit. Have a look at this:

It's not hard at all. There are places that do this all the time. Just remember that what you grind off the bed has to be ADDED to the headstock, carriage and tailstock. Search for "machine rebuilders" to find an outfit near you.
Those components work just fine on the worn ways. I just want to match the last half of the way to match the first part of the worn way including the lip. I don't want the lip ground down but match it. The tailstock can be shimmed, as is now, for deviations.

Attachments

• 20200227_154042.jpg
    20200227_154042.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
Is it me, or can anyone else even see a dovetail on that bed?

Very interesting video. I can see how that would be pretty easy with the flat ways that he has. With the right made jig it might be possible to do the same with an inverted "V" way but sherley be a little more complex job. What kind of device/scraper is using to hand scrape cast iron? Anyone care to draw such a jig that I might make and give it a try??? This newbie might not be such a good McGuyver at designing such a thing. I do have an old Chinese compound laying around here somewhere. could it be something as simple as an old wood plane that could be modified to do the job?

Back