South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

Is it me, or can anyone else even see a dovetail on that bed?
Are you talking about my picture or the one in the video? I guess your talking about the video. Oh yeh, tell the newbie what a dovetail on the bed is??

Last edited:
Here's a photo of the jig. Angle the compound parallel to the v-way, then use the compound dial to adjust the stroke for each pass. The compound is attached to an angle plate which was attached to the tailstock base. Tool bit is a large brazed carbide.

planing jig lathe bed.jpg

Here's a photo of the jig. Angle the compound parallel to the v-way, then use the compound dial to adjust the stroke for each pass. The compound is attached to an angle plate which was attached to the tailstock base. Tool bit is a large brazed carbide.

View attachment 315404
Well that's a very interesting setup! Maybe that would be one way for me to get-r-done. Have to find my spare compound and do some "thunken" on this. Looks like a good idea. Thanks

Was wondering if you had a chance to look at that lathe bed yet? Thanks
I looked at it today. It is in fairly decent condition. Wear on the back side of the front V-way is noticeable by touch. A fingernail won't catch on it, it feels more like it is dished out just a little. It fades out about 8 inches from the headstock. Fingernail won't catch on it but I could feel the difference in the surface. Tailstock V way had a visible wear line but nothing that could be felt quite a bit of drop marks on it close to the chuck too. Nothing that would affect use of the tailstock that close to the headstock.

I looked at it today. It is in fairly decent condition. Wear on the back side of the front V-way is noticeable by touch. A fingernail won't catch on it, it feels more like it is dished out just a little. It fades out about 8 inches from the headstock. Fingernail won't catch on it but I could feel the difference in the surface. Tailstock V way had a visible wear line but nothing that could be felt quite a bit of drop marks on it close to the chuck too. Nothing that would affect use of the tailstock that close to the headstock.
Thank you very much for going out of you way for me. Got do some "thunken" on it and figure out if I really "need" it or not.

My second or third lathe was an ancient 16" South Bend which a previous owner cut the worn end of the bed off and re-mounted everything forward.
It worked fine but the distance between centers was only about 16-18 inches so rather limited.

That's pretty cool idea! I don't think that would be a viable idea for me though. I'd only be able to use the last six inches of my lathe bed! LoL

Last edited:
I know I'm going to take a lot of flack for this and I could just keep my mouth shut but I like sharing. I took a very fine flat file to the way to take away the lip at the top. I draw filed it and then use 600 grit to smooth things out. Haven't done a test cut yet for a dial gage check but maybe tonight. If I have something that needs really tight tolerance between ends then I'll just use a 4-jaw chuck to level things out. (As soon as I buy a back plate for the Chinese one that I have.)

Cutting off the lip will do nothing for your cut. Now, if you had built up the depression with weld and had no distortion, then ground that down to be level with the lip, then that would have been impressive.

The lip, after all, is a non-wear area. It is at the original height and is where you want the rest of the ways to be. Basically, you just filed off your reference.

Back