slodat's 3d printed shop projects

Recently added a Bambu Labs X1 Carbon printer. It has the ability to handle four rolls of filament. This makes multi-color prints super easy. It is proving to be an exceptional printer out of the box. Here it is sitting next to the trusty Prusa.

1A00CFB2-A5F8-4642-AFF9-74C1C883C28D.jpeg

The first multi-color project was finally coming up with some sort of drawer labels. I have a quite a few of the HF boxes throughout the shop. The lesser used items tend to turn into fishing expeditions. The top of this image shows the backside:

CDF0D2E1-8A3B-4342-996B-B6141DEC9C24.jpeg

3x10mm N52 rare earth magents are pressed into pockets in the part. Here's a few more showing longer text..

D1F133DB-1F67-4F4B-BE2B-E83A439E29C1.jpeg

I really struggled with using plural or singular terms. Ended up being a mix. The Bambu is also a very FAST printer. It's really impressive.

This is a hardware box that is part of a tooling kit that I make.

46A630BF-FFEB-4565-9E83-7C336561FBEE.jpeg

The idea is the technician will be able to easily see if they are missing a piece of hardware.

And, a tray for these Tekton screwdriver, and hex sockets that didn't have a home. I'm really happy with how this turned out.

7E2C7426-023D-4AD1-B095-CF2E40C04B7E.jpeg

Last edited:
Designed a label to fit the handle of Vidmar cabinets. It's a snug fit sliding into the aluminum handle extrusion. This was the first test piece:

AA654D76-D037-41D8-AF5C-0BB128EC4FDA.jpeg

A buddy had suggested I give ironing a try. I was blown away by the result. Side by side comparison:

D8EC7EDC-9A29-415A-B236-C8AD33E98885.jpeg

I've printed several more.

FE483C82-5F17-4664-A61E-FD6747E0BAEF.jpeg

460DF14D-E8A8-44DE-BDDD-0C9C49C99DAE.jpeg

Recently added a Bambu Labs X1 Carbon printer. It has the ability to handle four rolls of filament. This makes multi-color prints super easy. It is proving to be an exceptional printer out of the box. Here it is sitting next to the trusty Prusa.

View attachment 434609

The first multi-color project was finally coming up with some sort of drawer labels. I have a quite a few of the HF boxes throughout the shop. The lesser used items tend to turn into fishing expeditions. The top of this image shows the backside:

View attachment 434612

3x10mm N52 rare earth magents are pressed into pockets in the part. Here's a few more showing longer text..

View attachment 434611

I really struggled with using plural or singular terms. Ended up being a mix. The Bambu is also a very FAST printer. It's really impressive.

This is a hardware box that is part of a tooling kit that I make.

View attachment 434613

The idea is the technician will be able to easily see if they are missing a piece of hardware.

And, a tray for these Tekton screwdriver, and hex sockets that didn't have a home. I'm really happy with how this turned out.

View attachment 434610
Wow, those prints look awesome! Have been considering dipping a toe in the 3D print pool, and the Prusa was at the top of the list until now. Given the Bambu comes enclosed as standard, the price difference isn't that great. Thanks for sharing. How's the Haas Toolroom Mill going?

Wow, those prints look awesome! Have been considering dipping a toe in the 3D print pool, and the Prusa was at the top of the list until now. Given the Bambu comes enclosed as standard, the price difference isn't that great. Thanks for sharing. How's the Haas Toolroom Mill going?
I've had a Prusa i3MK3S for almost 3.5 years. It has had an Octopi since just after it arrived. I, too, was considering a(nother) Prusa with enclosure and Octopi. By the time I added the Revo Six hot end, it was way too close in price to the X1CC. I'm really happy with the X1. I highly recommend it. It has a lot of features that have all but eliminated the fussing typical of FDM printers.

The TM1 is about to start getting some attention. I've been prototyping my products on my Tree J-425/Acorn CNC mill and I need to transition to the TM1 for the tool changer.

I've had a Prusa i3MK3S for almost 3.5 years. It has had an Octopi since just after it arrived. I, too, was considering a(nother) Prusa with enclosure and Octopi. By the time I added the Revo Six hot end, it was way too close in price to the X1CC. I'm really happy with the X1. I highly recommend it. It has a lot of features that have all but eliminated the fussing typical of FDM printers.

The TM1 is about to start getting some attention. I've been prototyping my products on my Tree J-425/Acorn CNC mill and I need to transition to the TM1 for the tool changer.
Great info, thanks! Look forward to seeing how the TM-1 performs.

66F0E8AF-F842-4547-B050-7CAB4B1006BF.jpeg

Organization tray for 37 degree dies for the MasterCool hydraulic flaring tool. They came separate little boxes in a bigger cardboard box. This can live in a drawer and be accessible.

Had this waiting for me on the X1C this morning when I got to the shop.

1677951967646.png

1677951987123.png

It's a holder for CAT40 tool tags. The tags are also 3d printed. The idea is the tag has pertinent information for the tool, its height offset specifically. When the tool is loaded in the tool changer, the tag is placed in this rack so you know what tool is in the machine, and you can keep the tool and tag associated with one another. Seems like a good system. Of course, the X1C does an amazing job printing the part.

Fired up the Prusa for the first time in a long while. It's printing more tool tags.

1677952005521.png

Watching the Prusa print the first layer is almost painful after getting use to the X1C. The Prusa will have about an hour in the first layer. Two printers is faster than one, and I'm still happy to have the Prusa in the shop. It makes really nice parts with PETG. These tool tags turn out flawless.

Back