slodat's 3d printed shop projects

slodat

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Thought I'd make a thread of some of how I use a 3d printer in the shop. I have had a Prusa i3Mk3s for about 3 years. I use Octoprint to drag and drop files to it on my PC. It works really, really well. I have made a lot of stuff for the shop with it. Some of this is cross-posted in threads associated with machinery and such.

From my Tree Journeyman 425 CNC milling machine thread.
These Fogbuster mounts leave a lot to be desired. Always falling, etc.

View attachment 409195

James Clough (clough42) did a video some time ago on adapting Loc-Line to the Fogbuster nozzles. I modified his parts so they would bolt up to the mill using existing mounting holes on each side.

View attachment 409190

There's a captive nut on the back side of the mount. This allows the clamp to cinch down tight on the Loc-Line.

View attachment 409191

So much better.

View attachment 409192

The other side.

View attachment 409193

View attachment 409194

This is where a 3d printer really shines. They are just crazy useful in the shop, on the shop.

From my Hardinge Accuslide CNC Lathe thread.
Made some progress on the Hardinge CNC lathe controls update. The existing enclosure had plenty of holes for passthrough.

View attachment 409179

A few minutes in Fusion and I came up with a mirrored part that snaps together, fits the existing holes, and holds the cable quite well.

View attachment 409180View attachment 409181View attachment 409182View attachment 409183

This sort of thing is super satisfying! A solid day of shop time is just what I needed. Cheers.

Last edited:
I wanted a small CAT40 tooling rack for setting up tools for the Haas and Tree milling machines.

Designed in Fusion 360.
cat40rack01.jpeg

Over an hour for the first layer, 36 hours to go!

cat40rack02.jpeg

The next morning..

cat40rack03.jpeg

First of two..

cat40rack04.jpeg

End result. Took about 1kg of PETG. About $20 and 3 days of printing. It's incredibly strong and will do the job.

cat40rack05.jpeg

I have a LOT of Schaller organizational bins. There are times where I don't have one the right size.

bins01.jpeg

I had been wanting to draw these up so I can make custom bins for way too long. All dimensions in Fusion are parameters, so it's trivial to make a different size.

bins02.jpeg

Next was to print it.

bins03.jpeg

bins04.jpeg

End result:

bins05.jpeg

bins06.jpeg

I was getting a little fuzz in the corners for a while.

bins07.jpeg

I found a thread online where the person used a little higher temperatures for the PETG.

bins08.jpeg
bins09.jpeg

That solved it. They are great!

I bought a HF Icon tool box for mill tooling. It is a really nice box for the price and the range of drawer depts worked out well for mill tooling. Three of the drawers are a little too shallow for the 2" Schaller bins. The filament costs about the same as Schaller bins, and there’s no freight. Granted it does take a while for them to print, but it’s passive and it’s very low effort.

bins10.jpeg

This is where the OctoPi comes in handy. Checking on the long print remotely.
bins11.jpeg

Fresh off the printer.
bins12.jpeg

In their new home, clearing just fine.
bins15.jpeg

The Haas introduces a new to me tool management challenge. The Haas has a 10 tool carousel. I saw a video on NYCCNC where he used some CAT40 tool tags sold by MSC to keep track of the details for a given tool. I found an .stl on Thingiverse and did this:

cat40tags01.jpeg

They turned out REALLY nice. Each tool will get a label from the label maker with pertinent details in an effort to keep it all straight and hopefully avoid a Z axis tool height crash.

cat40tags02.jpeg
cat40tags03.jpeg

Added an ethernet bulkhead connector to the Haas. I wanted to use the existing ethernet expansion option slot in the enclosure. Designed a small mounting escutcheon and 3d printed the part in PETG.

ethernet01.JPG

Thickened the part so the nuts cleared the existing opening in the enclosure.

ethernet012.JPG

Backside:
ethernet013.jpeg

First iteration had the screws looking goofy:
ethernet04.jpeg

Quick countersink and printed the part again. Much better!
ethernet05.jpeg

ethernet06.jpeg

Awesome projects there @slodat . I find my Prusa invaluable for projects around the home and shop. The first thing I made with it was a temp control knob for my wife's crockpot (had to gain a few points there ;) ).

I purchased mine in late 2017 and I have accumulated 178 Days of printing on it! Seems crazy but I do use it a ton. Wish I had the Mk3 as you do with the 24-volt steppers, which is much, much quieter than mine.

How did you do the remote OctoPrint on your Prusa? Did you utilize a Raspberry Pi? I was going to do that but heh, no Raspberry Pi boards to be found.

I just made this yesterday...

Attachments

• IMG_20220605_145330285.jpg
    IMG_20220605_145330285.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 140
I built the OctoPi when I got the printer a few years ago.

How did you do the remote OctoPrint on your Prusa? Did you utilize a Raspberry Pi? I was going to do that but heh, no Raspberry Pi boards to be found.
for a different project I recently ordered a BananaPi M5. there is also OrangePi and a plethora of other workalikes. The Octoprint.org site has instructions for installing on generic Linux.
Just match the board specs you buy to be somewhat like a Pi 3 or 4.
I have OctoPi running on a Rapsi2+ because I had it sitting idle. Works ok but a bit more horsepower would proably be good.

Back