Sinister Handedness

Are you left or right handed?

• Total voters
I think I am ambivalent. Sometimes I can't decide which hand to use. My writing is barely legible regardless which hand I use.
Dave

I'm sorta semi-dextrous. Some things I only do left handed, some only right handed and some with either hand. Write lefty, bat and throw righty, shoot pool lefty, shoot pistols righty, rifles either hand, fork or spoon in either hand, steak knife or chef's knife in left hand only, pocket knife either hand, most hand tools either hand. So, am I left handed or right handed? Yes. ;)

Tom

I and my wife are both lefties. We are both artistic. Many great artists like daVinci were. That is because we can use both sides of our brains to think. Google it if you don't believe it. I don't see why everyone isn't left handed since that is true,and enables the person to be much more artistic.

I was not aware of this fact till last year,when a doctor told me. My wife thought it was B.S.,till she Googled it.

BTW,I bought a left handed dial caliper from Grizzly. It is handy when measuring things right up against the lathe chuck. Otherwise,I'm quite comfortable using one in my right hand. And,I don't know what I'd do with a left hand bolt action rifle. Or a LH action flintlock. And,I MADE myself learn to play the guitar RIGHT handed. One of the smarter things I ever did as a kid. I was reminded that I could never find a left handed baseball mitt,and did not want it to be that way with the guitar.

I and my wife are both lefties. We are both artistic. Many great artists like daVinci were. That is because we can use both sides of our brains to think. Google it if you don't believe it. I don't see why everyone isn't left handed since that is true,and enables the person to be much more artistic.

I was not aware of this fact till last year,when a doctor told me. My wife thought it was B.S.,till she Googled it.

BTW,I bought a left handed dial caliper from Grizzly. It is handy when measuring things right up against the lathe chuck. Otherwise,I'm quite comfortable using one in my right hand. And,I don't know what I'd do with a left hand bolt action rifle. Or a LH action flintlock. And,I MADE myself learn to play the guitar RIGHT handed. One of the smarter things I ever did as a kid. I was reminded that I could never find a left handed baseball mitt,and did not want it to be that way with the guitar.
I have always wondered if the disproportionate number of lefties who are gifted isn't in fact due to the more gifted individuals are less inclined to "go right" when persuaded by their parents and teachers.

Regarding the bolt action rifle, my first gun was a 20 ga. Stevens bolt action shotgun. Rechambering meant releasing the fore stock and balancing the gun with my left hand while I rechambered with my right.

Now my guns are either lever action, pump, or semiauto. The semiauto's can be interesting when they throw those hot spent casings into your cheek though. My favorite is my .308 Winchester Model 100 which I bought when I was in college. Because of timing, this particular rifle has a tendency catch the mouth of the case when it ejects. It shortens the case life for reloading but it flips the casing forward and away from my face. I inherited my Dad's Model 100 many years later and his does not do this.

I'm no handed, lol. No I have hands it's just ambidextrous doesn't really cover it. Long story short my Kindergarten teacher was an evil wench. I was born a lefty but handwriting wise I couldn't write decent with either hand although after kindergarten I write predominantly with my right. as far as calipers go, if I have something bolted down on the mill I will use whatever hand in whatever orientation I can get those damn things in to read it. I often wish the display was on both sides of the darn things.

I have always wondered if the disproportionate number of lefties who are gifted isn't in fact due to the more gifted individuals are less inclined to "go right" when persuaded by their parents and teachers.

My teachers (but not my parents) tried to convince me *not* to "go right" when learning to write. I tried both and quickly found that right worked better. The teacher saw me switching and said "It's ok to write with your left hand, Johnny! You don't have to use your right just because all the other kids do!" (at the time it was believed that "forcing" lefties to write right-handed caused stuttering). I ignored her. I can write with my left hand, but why should I do it the hard way?

BTW I don't stutter.

One of my schoolmates was so left-handed that he might as well have had his right hand replaced with a hook, though. He was also not destined to grow up as one of the "gifted".

I'm better left-handed for writing, everything else pretty much ambidextrous. Echoing someone else's comment, using left-handed tools feel strange.

Stu

in school teachers would smack him with a ruler for writing left handed.

That was done with me. I would switch to right hand and then switch back as soon as I could. They finally gave up trying to change me to right handed.

What ever handed you are try signing your name with the other hand but start at the right hand side of the page and write to the left.

I has always been more natural for me to write on a page from right to left if I do it with my right hand. Always wondered if it was like that for any right handers... This is the first time I've heard of that from a righty.

Back