• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Show Off You Ars

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Lucky 13

Ankle deep in chips.
With the TM upper did you start with it in the raw or get in from them finished? If raw did you hone out the inside, sand it, or what steps did you take to finish it out? I've done a number of lowers but no uppers from "in the raw" but I have a couple on my bench waiting for a little attention.

Thanks,

-Ron

P.S. Open toed sandals in the shop? Shame on you. ;) :p
I have done raw and already anodized with no problems. Their anodize is not hard coat, so it does scratch easier. No finishing work (honing, sanding etc.)was done. My buddy does KG Coating, so my raw uppers and lowers get the KG treatment.

As for the open toed shoes, he's no sissy. He only wears shoes to school. LOL

Blackhawk

Active User
With the TM upper did you start with it in the raw or get in from them finished? If raw did you hone out the inside, sand it, or what steps did you take to finish it out? I've done a number of lowers but no uppers from "in the raw" but I have a couple on my bench waiting for a little attention.

Thanks,

-Ron

P.S. Open toed sandals in the shop? Shame on you. ;) :p
Scrapmetal,
I have some raw uppers I'd like to do in the future but only found one site that gets close, he did not finish but it is a good read.

For some reason I can't post the link but it's on firearms designer.com

Lanham

ScrapMetal

Active User
I have done raw and already anodized with no problems. Their anodize is not hard coat, so it does scratch easier. No finishing work (honing, sanding etc.)was done. My buddy does KG Coating, so my raw uppers and lowers get the KG treatment.

As for the open toed shoes, he's no sissy. He only wears shoes to school. LOL
He's growing up right then. :eagerness:

I've worked with their anodized lowers before and you're right, it is a bit soft. That's why for the next couple I went with them in the raw. I'm planning to finish them up with Cerakote this time.

Scrapmetal,
I have some raw uppers I'd like to do in the future but only found one site that gets close, he did not finish but it is a good read.

Lanham
I'll look that up tonight when I get home from the office (yes, I'm "working" on the computer now. Good thing I'm my own boss.) The uppers I'm using look darn good but the inside is just a bit rough to the touch. Just to satisfy my OCD I'll probably have to smooth it out a bit before finishing either with a hone or some fine grit paper.

Thanks guys,

-Ron

dave2176

Active User
Scrapmetal,

Lanham
interesting read but too bad he didn't get to the boring and charging handle slot.
Dave

n3480h

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Fresh 300 Blackout build. Most of the parts came from MAS Defense. 16" 1:8 HBAR, slicksided upper receiver, 0% lower machined on the minimill. The handguard was an inexpensive knurled freefloat tube that I turned and milled. Buttstock is a Luth AR MBA-3 in FDE. Cerakote FDE applied with an airbrush. Sling is a Magpul MS-1. Although I just machined a brake, Iowa passed a firearm bill this week which will remove the ban on suppressors - so there is nothing on the end of the barrel yet. I guess a thread protector will do until my Form 1 is cleared. To add a little interest, I electro-etched some graphics on the magwell and freefloat. This has been the most educational and fun project I have done so far on the minimill and 7x14 lathe.
300.jpg 2A CeraKote.jpg Shall Not in Cerakote.jpg

Tom

Rick Leslie

Active User
Nice. I'm hoping to test fire my Form 1 can soon. With any luck it will be on my 300 BKO for the next deer season. Suppressors were just legalized here in Ga. for hunting.

I may have asked before, but where did you get the stencils for the etching?

n3480h

Active User
Nice. I'm hoping to test fire my Form 1 can soon. With any luck it will be on my 300 BKO for the next deer season. Suppressors were just legalized here in Ga. for hunting.

I may have asked before, but where did you get the stencils for the etching?
Thanks Rick. I developed the artwork in CorelDraw and CorelPaint. I sent the files to my daughter-in-law and she cut the vinyl for me. Also did the Safe/Fire and Serial # the same way. Suppressors were also just allowed in Iowa this Thursday, but the law does not go into effect until July 1 - so I have to wait a bit. This is probably so that law enforcement has a chance to get trained in how to process the paperwork.

Tom

atlas ten

I have a norinco cq 5.56 with minimal mods. Got the phase 5 ambidextrous bolt release, phase 5 swivel ambidextrous sling ring in front of stock jam nut. I have the rail mount carry handle. I would like to find a bayonet for it. I want to try replace the gas system with a piston. Also like to change the fore end with rails.
68c8c722daf433489dd25e2adf62694a.jpg
Also have an AR 180b. It is untouched from when I bought it used. Came with the unknown scope mount. Leopold 3.5-10×40 scope.
6eea9d5816b869e9667d0a50f62f5a35.jpg
I would like to put a bayonet lung on it and find a bayonet as well. I may try make the lug now that I have machines.
Might even try full aluminum lower too someday.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Attachments

Rick Leslie

Active User

atlas ten

The 180B did have optional bayonet lug available from Armalite. When I become good at machine I may try custom scratch build 180B lower with ar15 stock, pistol grip, upper shooting a 7.62 round.
Jack

ScrapMetal

Active User
The 180B did have optional bayonet lug available from Armalite. When I become good at machine I may try custom scratch build 180B lower with ar15 stock, pistol grip, upper shooting a 7.62 round.
Jack

I wasn't very familiar with the AR-180 so I did a little reading http://ar180s.com/. Seems to me that it would be more of a sheet metal bending project (upper and lower) than a "milling" project from the pictures I've seen. Certainly would be interesting if one could find a set of plans/jigs, etc.

96476BF0-38FD-4F92-B840-453E916E9EDB_zpsrpsxbddj1.jpg

-Ron

Attachments

Rick Leslie

Active User
I believe the AR180 was meant to be a less expensive alternative to the AR 15 and Stoner rifle.

atlas ten

I need to clarify my ar model I own. I have an AR-180b and I emphasize on the B. It is not the AR180 witch is closer related to the AR-18. The difference is in the lower receiver. Mine has a abs plastic lower that has reputation of breaking the forward pin hinge. I can't own an AR180 in Canada because they are prohibited. But the AR180B is non-restricted. I'm not trying to offend anybody with this. I would like to own the AR180 even AK47 but gun laws prevent me to.
Jack

ScrapMetal

Active User
I don't see why anyone would be offended, especially not me. ;) I'm just a bit of "gun nut" and am always interested in learning more about models I'm not familiar with. Sorry about the gun laws in Canada. We feel for you, we really do.

Now back to nosy details - any pics of the AR180B? Why is the AR180 restricted while the AR180B is not?

-Ron

atlas ten

I don't see why anyone would be offended, especially not me. ;) I'm just a bit of "gun nut" and am always interested in learning more about models I'm not familiar with. Sorry about the gun laws in Canada. We feel for you, we really do.

Now back to nosy details - any pics of the AR180B? Why is the AR180 restricted while the AR180B is not?

-Ron
Here is a close up of an AR180b.
31eda6b0fbfa6b94588f1818602ea95a.jpg 7ba1ca98187ac27e5c824e8d82d6ad16.jpg
Getting into the gun laws is another thread. Could be the folding stock on the Ar180 that makes it prohibited (under the minimum length) or the manufacturing being same as an AR18. The AR180b was sold as a civilian only rifle. AR18 is prohibited cause of select fire. iirc the AR18 was made to replace the colt ar15 but did not gain much popularity.
I would like to have an AR180B with ar15 pistol grip, collapsing stock (possibly folding), quad rail fore end, in 7.62 for hunting.
Jack

Attachments

Silverbullet

My ar is a colt heavy all original. I'm going to build one or two. Got to have a few calibers , 300 black out oh yes , the 762-39 YUPP cheap ammo. Or use an ar10 80% and build a 45/70 big boy rifle. Haven't looked into that may need to weld up a steel frame for that much punch. Who knows the other calibers I like may work. 45 long colt is about my true love.

wrat

Or use an ar10 80% and build a 45/70 big boy rifle. Haven't looked into that may need to weld up a steel frame for that much punch. .
No welding required. Actually nothing special at all except a long enough action. The AR-10 is for .308 and cannot handle .30-06 or anything long without a specially machined upper and lower.
There are quite a few .50BMG rifles built on AR-15 lowers. .45-70 Govt is basically nothing, by comparison.

Wrat

Rick Leslie

Active User
I too have fallen victim to the multiple caliber AR bug. So far I'm in for the 5.56 (no surprise), 300 Blackout (now that suppressors are legal for hunting here), 6.5 Grendel (in the works), and a friend just sent me some 450 Bushmaster brass (so now I have to build that one). I also have an AR357, which is the ballistic equivalent to the 357 Maximum round. Here's the developement story. http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=28383.0 (Closer to 35 Remington ballistics I believe.)

The 45/70 may prove to be problematic due to the rim diameter. Rimmed cartridges don't feed well from straight magazines. Especially rounds with a large rim. If you want the 45/70 punch, look at the 458 Socom or 450 Bushmaster. Or even the 50 Beowulf. All run fine in the AR15 platform and the rifle handles them well. (The shooter may be a different story as I hear recoil is 'noticeable'.)

The 50 BMG uppers and others are single shot actions that use the AR lower for FCG and buttstock. 45 Colt would be very interesting.

sgisler

Active User
+1 on the .458 Socom, it's a lot of fun - if you have masochistic tendencies! Lol. Seriously though, I do enjoy shooting it. 'Noticeable' recoil is right, put 20 rounds through it and you know you've done something.
It's a great round, has fed flawlessly thru my AR since I built it.

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhawk

Active User
I too have fallen victim to the multiple caliber AR bug. So far I'm in for the 5.56 (no surprise), 300 Blackout (now that suppressors are legal for hunting here), 6.5 Grendel (in the works), and a friend just sent me some 450 Bushmaster brass (so now I have to build that one). I also have an AR357, which is the ballistic equivalent to the 357 Maximum round. Here's the developement story. http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=28383.0 (Closer to 35 Remington ballistics I believe.)

The 45/70 may prove to be problematic due to the rim diameter. Rimmed cartridges don't feed well from straight magazines. Especially rounds with a large rim. If you want the 45/70 punch, look at the 458 Socom or 450 Bushmaster. Or even the 50 Beowulf. All run fine in the AR15 platform and the rifle handles them well. (The shooter may be a different story as I hear recoil is 'noticeable'.)

The 50 BMG uppers and others are single shot actions that use the AR lower for FCG and buttstock. 45 Colt would be very interesting.

The link isn't working, is there another?

Rick Leslie

Active User
I'm sorry you're having problems viewing the forum. I just tried it and it works for me. You may have to join the forum to see the thread, but I don't think that's the case. Maybe try copying and pasting?

mcoak

IMG_0245.jpg

Here's an AR build I did a while back. Milled the lower forging on a Haas TM1.

And the final look:

IMG_0388.jpg

mcoak

A product called Moly Resin. It has held up well on a couple of AR builds.

Rick Leslie

Active User
I've used Moly Resin since the 80s and love it! I have a scrap 1911 slide I coated with it in 1984. I've filed on it, dropped it, kicked it, tossed it, used it as a hammer... The coating is still intact and looks good.

Jay-z

Active User
Since everyone wants to show off their rifles and carbines here's something a little shorter. 300AAC with 7in barrel and a 3 color Cerakote finish. IMG_1810.JPG

Rick Leslie

Active User
We want to see them all! Nice camo job. Did you use the templates Cerakote sells? I've got several to camo at some point. Mostly 'his and hers' sets.

Would you do a thread on the camo process? I can't be the only one who wants to see how it's done.

Jay-z

Active User
We want to see them all! Nice camo job. Did you use the templates Cerakote sells? I've got several to camo at some point. Mostly 'his and hers' sets.

Would you do a thread on the camo process? I can't be the only one who wants to see how it's done.
The stencils are the high temperature vinyl. Got those from eBay. There are several different sellers and the patterns vary greatly.
I wouldn't mind doing a thread on the next project. I always have something in the works. But I will say that the camo process is very labor-intensive. Especially with three and four color designs. You can even throw some airbrushing in to help blend things. It is quite the ballet of balancing with prepping ,preheating ,painting and baking both polymer and metal parts. Both of which flash cure at different times . Once you figure that out, it's a piece a cake . Single colors are nice also .

IMG_1809.JPG

5 7