• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Show Off You Ars

ScrapMetal

Active User
Hey Ron how do you like the FTS magnifier? I've got a hws on my AR-10 carbine and for all intents its CQB setup. Never cared if it was super "accurate" but I'm friggin blind and thought about maybe adding the magnification to help at the range. Right now at 50 yds with the hws I may as well use the back up sights!
I truly love the FTS magnifier. My eyes aren't what they used to be either but the magnifier helps make up for it. The bonus is that you can swing it out of the way, for what ever reason, and still use the back up site.

It's well worth the money in my book.

-Ron

Chris Bettis

d1b94cc9eb58acddfbece3017ee2e18d.jpg
Here is mine stag 24" stainless hbar upper, lmt lower, China freefloat handgaurd magpull grip, Magpul stock, magpul bad lever Bushnell elite tactical series fixed 10x mildot scope with burris p.e.p.r mount. Still need to do a trigger and id like to add a compensator but she shoots wonderfully at 1/2 moa.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited:

Jay-z

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
image.jpeg I have other more accessorized AR15's but I still love the classics. Colt A2 upper with 20in 1/7 twist SPR profile barrel on an 80% lower full of Rock River Arms parts. Unbelievably smooth to shoot.

Last edited:

pjf134

Active User
I would like to show my build, but the parts I want are hard to find right now. I only have the receiver done for now. I have been looking at west PA gun shops and shows and might have to go to near ohio soon for some Pistol powder as it is not easy to get here. A store near Columbina, Ohio said he has some and is on PA side so a road trip might be in order. I know a guy in Ohio (K-Products) and will have to give him a call if near where I am going. I would like to see the products before I buy to make sure it is what I want.
Paul

aametalmaster

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
I am 10 minutes from Columbiana Oh if I can help...Bob

Rick Leslie

Active User
I would like to show my build, but the parts I want are hard to find right now. I only have the receiver done for now. I have been looking at west PA gun shops and shows and might have to go to near ohio soon for some Pistol powder as it is not easy to get here. A store near Columbina, Ohio said he has some and is on PA side so a road trip might be in order. I know a guy in Ohio (K-Products) and will have to give him a call if near where I am going. I would like to see the products before I buy to make sure it is what I want.
Paul
Builds in progress count. Or start a build thread and post the link here. Then when you get it complete, post it here. (Notice I didn't say :finished? ARs are never really "finished".)

pjf134

Active User
Bob,
If you know of any gun shops near you let me know and I most likely be going there soon. Everybody here is out of everything. I have a receiver on order since Nov. and have not got it yet, but found another so I put the parts in and got it working and just need the upper and buffer assy. to be done. I did stop at both Shaw Barrel places and they had some AR stuff but high price. I had to go to the Presto place because my barrel nut broke after 20 some years and had to get one so the barrel would stop flopping around (haha). I do need Pistol Powder as the ones I am using is slow burn and flames come out like a flame thrower. I would like to go and see k-products store if near by as we did the NRA Instructor Course for Reloading together. He has a gun shop in the 330 area and just not sure where unless I call him.
Paul

ps: My wife likes the Dutch Haus place for food and lets me go to Rogers Market if I take her there.

pjf134

Active User
ar15 start.JPG Rick,
This is my start to a FIRST AR15 5.56/223. I do have a bolt action 223 that I have been using for over 20 years so ammo will work with both.
Paul

upTheHill

Active User
The Black one is a 5.56, the Flat Dark Earth one is a .300 Blackout.
the lights are Fenix 900 Lumen LED with Red, Green Ultraviolet LEDs along with the white

they are both Aero Precision receivers.
The Black one is marked Eagles Nest Firearms LLC from when I had a custom AR shop and manufacturers FFL.
I also had a suppressed, full auto .300 BLK SBR that had to go bye-bye when I turned in my FFL/SOT

300-AR.jpg 556-AR.jpg

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
All very nice pieces ! I'm trying to get to the point to get back into doing some projects as these . My equipment at the moment is unreachable ! My property is up in Adirondack Park NY which has a bad law , but , I am friends with a trooper and a DNR gent up there and they both told me I'd have no issue from them . They also dislike this certain law .

Bamban

Active User
Not mine, these are the uppers used by the TX JRs in high power competition. Since I am not in the business I provide free service to them; turning out barrels from blanks and in the case of these uppers in the pictures, I pinned the rear sights. 20160127_021705 (1).jpg 20160128_184647.jpg 20160207_195103.jpg 20160207_195212.jpg

Rick Leslie

Active User
The 300 Blackout caught my attention last year. I'm in the process of building a Form 1 can for it now. Hope to take a few deer with it next season. I really like the way this one looks.

dave2176

Active User
My son-in-law has been working in my shop for the last few Saturdays. This is what he finished today. 80% lower, GM barrel chambered in 5.56 with 10 flutes (5 up front, 5 under the hand guard), home made brake and gas block, black Cerakote. He also made a set of takedown and pivot pins since his LPK came with a .275 takedown pin for an AR10. IJK optics and laser.
WP_20160312_18_48_35_Pro.jpg

Blackhawk

Active User
My son-in-law has been working in my shop for the last few Saturdays. This is what he finished today. 80% lower, GM barrel chambered in 5.56 with 10 flutes (5 up front, 5 under the hand guard), home made brake and gas block, black Cerakote. He also made a set of takedown and pivot pins since his LPK came with a .275 takedown pin for an AR10. IJK optics and laser.
View attachment 124606
What size endmil and what company did you get it from, I want to try fluting

Lanham

dave2176

Active User
What size endmil and what company did you get it from, I want to try fluting

Lanham
It was a 3/16" ball nose 4 flute, Interstate brand from Enco. DOC was .035" in a single pass at 1970 rpm. Setup used a 5C spin indexer and a v-block to clamp the other end down during cuts. Power feed was used. Took about 3 minutes per flute, the slow speed kept them smooth.
Dave

Rick Leslie

Active User
Homemade brake and gas block? Bravo! I would like to see details. Always interested in brake designs. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great AR.

dave2176

Active User
Homemade brake and gas block? Bravo! I would like to see details. Always interested in brake designs. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great AR.
The brake has 3 side ports on each side cut at 15* (head tilted), .260" deep with the 3/16" BN end mill plus 5 round ports to align with the flutes. .800 diameter enlarged on the inside after the threads to .550" (we think). Here's a couple pics before cerakote.
Brake detail.jpg

I don't have detailed pics of the gas blocks but it starts as 1.25Wx1.25Lx1.75H. Bore it .750 in the jaw .625" from the bottom. In the mill vise drill the gas tube hole .5 from the top 1.1"deep and ream with a #15 reamer. While the mill is in the same Y location lay it on its side and drill and ream the 1/16" pin hole .700 from the rear. Turn it bottom side up and drill 5/32" hole .300" from the front and rear for set screws and drill the rear hole to meet the gas tube hole. Drill a third set screw hole in the center (.625" from either end. Tap them 10x24. We mounted it on a mandrel to the rotary table and used a 3/8 ball nose to cut its profile rotating 2 degrees each pass.

Lucky 13

Ankle deep in chips.
This is my latest build. Tactical Machining 80% lower and TM upper, Noveske nitrided BCG and charge handle, Magpul CTR stock, MOE grip, Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile .223 Wylde mid length gas system, Noveske 13.5" NSR free float hand guard and topped with a Vortex Strike Fire 2. My 6 year old is starting his own after going through a couple mags with mine.

IMG_20160217_161934.jpg IMG_20160207_145014760.jpg

Last edited:

ScrapMetal

Active User
This is my latest build. Tactical Machining 80% lower and TM upper, Noveske nitrided BCG and charge handle, Magpul CTR stock, MOE grip, Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile .223 Wylde mid length gas system, Guntec 12" free float hand guard and topped with a Vortex Strike Fire 2. My 6 year old is starting his own after going through a couple mags with mine.
With the TM upper did you start with it in the raw or get in from them finished? If raw did you hone out the inside, sand it, or what steps did you take to finish it out? I've done a number of lowers but no uppers from "in the raw" but I have a couple on my bench waiting for a little attention.

Thanks,

-Ron

P.S. Open toed sandals in the shop? Shame on you. ;) :p

Container Above bottom breadcrumb