Show me where you keep your milling / lathe tools!

my Bridgeport and lathe came with this cabinet, a former server rack chock full of lathe and mill tooling, drill bits, etc etc… Far exceeds my needs, skill level or available shop time, but hopefully I grow into it!

43718466-153D-40C4-9FD1-7BDA668922B0.jpeg1CBAB2FA-CA22-4A56-A4A3-6FBABDC4941D.jpegB4FCACC6-60F6-45AE-99A0-C60C4AD24086.jpeg54D83426-996B-49EF-A894-A4A39DBC3D1A.jpeg825A325A-D974-40E4-BF4A-18F6ED05F49A.jpeg

My milling tools mostly live in a Harbor Freight tool chest; I shortened its legs so the mill enclosure's sliding door clears the top.

XT2S9025-BLURB.jpg

XT2S9026-BLURB.jpg

The cutters live in 3D printed holders attached to the 8020.

XT2S9049-BLURB.jpg

XT2S9050-BLURB.jpg

The cart holds accessories, fixturing, drills etc:
XT2S9059-BLURB.jpg

XT2S9040-BLURB.jpg

XT2S9058-BLURB.jpg

XT2S9060-BLURB.jpg

XT2S9061-BLURB.jpg

XT2S9062-BLURB.jpg

The binder with how I wired up the CNC etc is at the bottom, with a Tormach height gauge, and odds and ends.
XT2S9045-BLURB.jpg

My stuff is organized much like others shown here, I won't bore you with the photos (but can if you are bored!). Quick version is I have 2 lathes, 4 mills, surface grinder, sheet metal shear, brake, slip roll, etc., etc., etc. Both of the lathes have dedicated Harbor Freight tool chests. The drawers are full of micrometers (outside, inside, thread pitch, tubular, etc.), inserts, telescoping gauges, small hole gauges, dial indicators, accessories (steady rest, follower rest, etc.). Each also has 5C collets from 1/16" - 1 1/8" by 1/64". Chucks are stored on the bottom shelf with some rolls of Emery cloth. Quick change tool holders are stored on racks on the splash shields.

Two of the mills (Bridgeport and Jet JVM-830, 3/4" sized BP) have racks built to them with R8, ER32 collets, drill chucks and wrenches. There's a HF 26" top/bottom roller cabinet with "mill stuff". Reamers, end mills, every way known to mankind for finding the center of a hole/boss, screw machine drill bits, parallels, etc.

Adjacent to the 2 mills and 2 lathes is a 6' tall 18" x 36" storage rack with more stuff: Rotary table, dividing heads, micrometers up to 12", gauge blocks, tool post grinder, dial indicator stands, lantern-style tool holder storage box, etc.

An additional mill is a Tormach 1100S3. It has a similar HF tool chest dedicated to it with 30+ TTS tool holders, vise soft jaws, parallels, end mills, micrometers, height gauge, electronic tool setter, etc. Also have a roll-around tool cart that fits under one wing of the mill. That holds 20+ TTS tool holders, 4-th axis, chucks, etc.

My Atlas horizontal mill is on a Husky or Waterloo rolling box with wrenches, horizontal cutters, arbors, end mills, etc.

A lot of my excess tooling is stored in a couple of 4' x 4' x 2' deep wooden cabinets with full-extension glide drawers. Everything is labeled, so if I need a 1/8" carbide 4-flute end mill, I know right where to go.

Bruce

Last edited:
Here is my machining corner. Milling and measuring tools are in the Craftsman toolbox to the left of the mill. Lathe tools are in the roll around cabinet from Chairman Mao's Tool Store. I can roll it out for easy access when running the lathe. I like those cabinets so much I have another one for working on my cars.

corner1.jpgcabinet1.jpgcabinet2.jpg

What's that funny looking thing with all the buttons on it across from the lathe? ;)
LOL! I was wondering if anyone would notice that. I found that at a used furniture store where my wife bought a desk for her study. It didn't work, but for $10 I figured I could have some fun. Found a part laying in the bottom of the cabinet, figured out where it belonged and now it works, mostly. Fascinating mechanisms....

LOL! I was wondering if anyone would notice that. I found that at a used furniture store where my wife bought a desk for her study. It didn't work, but for $10 I figured I could have some fun. Found a part laying in the bottom of the cabinet, figured out where it belonged and now it works, mostly. Fascinating mechanisms....
Looks like an IBM daisy wheel...or an Olivetti maybe... too chonky to be a Smith-Corona... What, are you going to tell me you only used fountain pens?

Looks like an IBM daisy wheel...or an Olivetti maybe... too chonky to be a Smith-Corona... What, are you going to tell me you only used fountain pens?
Well, yeah in grade school the nuns made us use fountain pens while learning cursive! (He says showing is advancing age....) And the typewriter is a IBM Selectric, and early one best I can tell. There is one obviously broken part in it for which I found a replacement on Ebay. Now I just gotta figure out how to install it....

Well, yeah in grade school the nuns made us use fountain pens while learning cursive! (He says showing is advancing age....) And the typewriter is a IBM Selectric, and early one best I can tell. There is one obviously broken part in it for which I found a replacement on Ebay. Now I just gotta figure out how to install it....
I think you can find manuals and diagrams on microfiche!

Back