Shop re-do

Hobby shop equilibrium ... sorting out the important things. Toldja'!

Looking good, David!

Thanks Mike! It’s coming along :D
Here’s the find of the day...
8089971509a2663f4833d926c9adadb2.jpg

cf9664cd349313f0bfc1dd49e1b1ebd9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next time I have a hole in my head I'll know who to hit up for a plate!

Nice compression job. Now, can you find things when needed? I find it is more important to ALWAYS return things to the same place, even if it might seem to be wierd, than to fret over establishing a logical place for things. Anyway, thought I would add my small wood/metal shop gallery. It is a 10X16 cinder block garage built when the family Model-T replaced the carriage. A canopy in front provides additional working space during the "pleasant" weather.IMG_1809.JPGIMG_1810.JPGIMG_1811.JPGIMG_1812.JPGIMG_1813.JPG

Thanks for posting pics of your shop @starr256. I really like seeing other's work spaces and how they organize them. Very well done!
Love the metal on the cabinet doors in the last photo. Brilliant!

Hey that’s starting to look like something! :encourage:

-f
Those two boxes with red tape contain 100 lb capacity, full extension drawer slides. I found someone selling 22 pairs.
So I have:
24 @ 22"
14 @ 20"
10 @ 16"

My intention is to make a new cabinet and use some of the slides.
Since my lathe table is so deep, I'm thinking about a cabinet on the wall behind the lathe. Put in a pull out shelf so that I don't have to lean over the lathe. Or maybe I'm better off with shelves underneath.

Thanks to encouragement and assistance from @mickri I dove into SketchUp this week. Drew a couple of models. One for a new workbench and another of the basic shop.
Probably will help folks get a sense of the whole space I'm dealing with.
So the lathe and mill are on the wall with the passage door and the workbench is under the window on the long wall.
The walled off area is for the motorcycles.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.56.32 AM.png

Here's the bench cabinet.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 5.09.16 PM.png

Your are on your way. Wall space is at a premium in a small shop. Especially in a corner. I would think about covering over the window on the left side of the shop. Not take it out. Just cover it. From the pictures I see that the passage door opens to the inside. It might open things up a little bit if the door opened to the outside. Don't know if that is feasible for a variety of reasons. Mostly weather related.

If you haven't done so make your shop drawing a group. Then you need to draw each of your machines as a separate group. Nothing fancy. Just a box of the overall size of the machine. With each machine as a group you can move them wherever you want to to try different layouts. I would draw all of your machines outside of the shop. Then you can copy, not cut, and paste the machine where you think that you might want it. Use guide points on the floor where one corner of the machine will go. When you paste you will be able to put the move icon on that corner and move the machine to the guide point. it won't take you long to get proficient with Setchup.

Nice, planning the setup is critical to making your life easier and knowing where to run all the electrical.
I will do a footprint drawing of the shop and then make cutouts of the equipment, benches and tool boxes. Then I will manipilate them to get the best rough layout. From there I go to CAD and do it again, only I look at room for servicing the equipment, space for operator, special tool carts, part carts, path ways to move carts, tool cabinets, raw material around. Also, don't forget raw material storage as well.

Back